Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th October 2023, 19:32   #14301
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Fitted new slotted rear discs, pads and wear sensor today.

Pretty straight forward job and I've been putting off for ages. Interestingly, I've had the car nearly 7 years now and never changed the rear pads. They looked new when I got the car, but in 7 years and 50k miles, they were still only half worn. The main reason I wanted to change them is because the discs looked like the original ones (shabby)

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2023, 18:19   #14302
TomTheTyke
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur, MG TF 80th Anniversary

Treated all the rubber door seals with the German 'gummifpledge' (I'm sure that's not how you spell it).

Then got the Tiger seal out to stick a section of rubber seal coming away from the rear driver's side door, and to secure my gear knob as the outer wooden section has separated from the inner plastic.

Lastly, lubricated all hinges and catches. Having done the oil and filter the other week we will be ready for winter once I find the time to pressure wash it properly underneath and top up the Lanoguard underseal. I want to do this before I go for a few days in Wales at the start of November.
TomTheTyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2023, 14:59   #14303
Martin Butler
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon

Today i got my 75 back after having had to admit defeat in trying to fit the exhaust, myself, i ended up putting it into a garage that i know, they had it overnight, and only charged me £40 to fit the new exhaust, and by all accounts it was a right pig, but its done now, and that was the very last outstanding mechanical job that needed to be tackled, next has to be a good clean both inside and out. but the car is now MOT ready, which is due in January but it made sence to complete everything whilst the weather was good enough to do it.
Martin Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2023, 19:40   #14304
Southern Star
Loves to post

Rover 75 CTDi Contemporary SE

Had two new front tyres fitted at Herald Way Tyres in Coventry. Davanti, a make I haven't used before, made in the Far East but British owned apparently. £82 each so not the cheapest (Landsail, £60) nor the most expensive (The sky's the limit here). Time will tell if they are any good but the handling is much improved already. I think basically tyres either have superb grip and are quiet running or they have average grip, are slightly noisier and last longer but they can't do both.

I said to HWT that I wanted one worn (but still legal) front tyre to be moved into the boot as a spare, and for the full-sized Union Alloy wheel in the boot (that I got from Coolguy) to be re-tyred and put on the car as the tread on this was below limits. I was puzzled that they took the existing front tyre inside and took it off the rim, then balanced it. When I said "I think you misunderstood, I just wanted that moved to the boot" the tyre fitter said "Yes, but it was fairly corroded around the bead so I cleaned it up, sealed it and put a new valve in".

When I went to pay the bill, they hadn't charged me for doing this so I went to give the tyre fitter a fiver for a drink and he politely declined saying "We don't charge just for helping someone out". You can't imagine Kwik-Fit saying that. So a massive recommendation for Herald Way Tyres.

Then I polished up the headlights, using a kit I bought on ebay for £9. I only used half of it so will save the rest for next time, in my experience a headlight refurb lasts 2-3 years. I'm pretty pleased with the results.

Am going to replace one of the rear tyres next week as that is close to limits too, and they only had two Davantis in my size in stock today so they've ordered one for me. MOT is approaching so I want to spread the cost a bit.

Last edited by Southern Star; 14th October 2023 at 19:46..
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2023, 20:24   #14305
75driver
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon, manual. Rover 75 Tourer, Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Had two new front tyres fitted at Herald Way Tyres in Coventry. Davanti, a make I haven't used before, made in the Far East but British owned apparently. £82 each so not the cheapest (Landsail, £60) nor the most expensive (The sky's the limit here). Time will tell if they are any good but the handling is much improved already. I think basically tyres either have superb grip and are quiet running or they have average grip, are slightly noisier and last longer but they can't do both.

I said to HWT that I wanted one worn (but still legal) front tyre to be moved into the boot as a spare, and for the full-sized Union Alloy wheel in the boot (that I got from Coolguy) to be re-tyred and put on the car as the tread on this was below limits. I was puzzled that they took the existing front tyre inside and took it off the rim, then balanced it. When I said "I think you misunderstood, I just wanted that moved to the boot" the tyre fitter said "Yes, but it was fairly corroded around the bead so I cleaned it up, sealed it and put a new valve in".

When I went to pay the bill, they hadn't charged me for doing this so I went to give the tyre fitter a fiver for a drink and he politely declined saying "We don't charge just for helping someone out". You can't imagine Kwik-Fit saying that. So a massive recommendation for Herald Way Tyres.

Then I polished up the headlights, using a kit I bought on ebay for £9. I only used half of it so will save the rest for next time, in my experience a headlight refurb lasts 2-3 years. I'm pretty pleased with the results.

Am going to replace one of the rear tyres next week as that is close to limits too, and they only had two Davantis in my size in stock today so they've ordered one for me. MOT is approaching so I want to spread the cost a bit.

Which headlight kit did you get for £9? Results look very good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 75 Contemporary SE diesel manual (#1)

2003 75T Connoisseur SE diesel auto (For Comfort)
2005 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (Marmite duotone )
2006 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (The last one?)

2009 E220 (For a change)
2018 L200 (For Big & Heavy Things)
1976 W114 250 Manual (For Sundays)
75driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2023, 20:34   #14306
Southern Star
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75driver View Post
Which headlight kit did you get for £9? Results look very good!
This one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364261842804

Having said that, someone at the Midlands NANO Meet last week had just refurbished his headlights using a kit which consisted of nothing more than two disposable wipes, which apparently just takes two minutes, I'd have to say his results were as good. It was only the fact that it cost twice as much that put me off. But here's the link anyway.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186087113...hoC6BIQAvD_BwE
Old 14th October 2023, 21:21   #14307
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post

Hi Vince.
Those headlights have turned out nice complete chalk & cheese from when i saw them at the last meet

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2023, 22:08   #14308
Southern Star
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Vince.
Those headlights have turned out nice complete chalk & cheese from when i saw them at the last meet
I must admit that the Rover does sometimes get a bit tatty. it just has to compete with so many other things for my time. But the approach of MOT day always focuses my attention on it, I might even go as far as to run the vacuum cleaner around it next month.

Thanks for everything at the last two NANO meets by the way, I'll definitely get to the first one or two next year before I go off narrowboating, even if there's nothing that needs doing (The ABS light thing appears to have gone away now). I just enjoyed being there.

Last edited by Southern Star; 14th October 2023 at 22:11..
Old 16th October 2023, 12:37   #14309
SomedaysIfeel75

Rover 75 Saloon

Finished the 'big filter service' on my newly-acquired 2001 Club SE Diseasal yesterday.

I bought a 5-filter kit from DMGRS and, by the looks of it, the filters I removed were well past their sell-by date, the cabin filter and PCV valve filters being particularly bad.

The car had only done about 600 miles in the 4 years before I bought it, so replacing all the fluids and filters is top of my list. At least now I know all the filters are good, so (listed here for my own reference more than anything) I have replaced PCV, air, oil, fuel and cabin filters.

Finished up yesterday with a new fuel filter full of injector cleaner (as recommended here) and changed the engine oil and filter. She ran better this morning, quieter (slightly) and more responsive.

On to the rest of the pre-MOT list then, ABS light, MAF clean, a couple of tyres and an ominous clonking from the NSF...

I also discovered this morning, via the dash test mode, that she was built late November 2000, but not registered until 17th April 2001.
SomedaysIfeel75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2023, 21:39   #14310
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomedaysIfeel75 View Post
Finished the 'big filter service' on my newly-acquired 2001 Club SE Diseasal yesterday.

I bought a 5-filter kit from DMGRS and, by the looks of it, the filters I removed were well past their sell-by date, the cabin filter and PCV valve filters being particularly bad.

The car had only done about 600 miles in the 4 years before I bought it, so replacing all the fluids and filters is top of my list. At least now I know all the filters are good, so (listed here for my own reference more than anything) I have replaced PCV, air, oil, fuel and cabin filters.

Finished up yesterday with a new fuel filter full of injector cleaner (as recommended here) and changed the engine oil and filter. She ran better this morning, quieter (slightly) and more responsive.

On to the rest of the pre-MOT list then, ABS light, MAF clean, a couple of tyres and an ominous clonking from the NSF...

I also discovered this morning, via the dash test mode, that she was built late November 2000, but not registered until 17th April 2001.
Ominous ‘clonking’ is more likely than not the drop links.