Notices

Old 24th September 2014, 12:18   #11
sikelsh
This is my second home

MGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
Cut the jihadis oxygen supply off.

Starting with the BBC/SKY et all media fest/frenzy.

Correct answer, no media coverage, less drama, the only reason for beheading westerners is to drum up propaganda, and western media are fueling this propaganda.
Old 24th September 2014, 14:10   #12
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Courier View Post
You have to ask why they have this opinion of us? There are very few people in the world who subscribe to the idea of random killings. Their numbers are very few. If this problem was so great you would have major events every day.

Afterall, it wouldn't be difficult to hijack a plane/run around a public place with a deadly weapon, yet this happens so infrequently that this concludes me to believe that very few people are of this mind. (rightly or wrongly)

If their sole purposes is to draw ' the west' into a conflict then aren't we giving them what they want?

How long before our bombs go down (or appear to go down) the wrong chimney pot?

Yes I agree, but a remedy is still elusive. When you say 'they', that usually includes all of those that are involved in the organisation but is really only the senior elder figures invoking younger would-be followers to join and prove themselves. It has always been so, especially in the more evangelistic organisations.

Those senior elders are more often than not failed political leaders who cannot get the following they crave from their contemporaries, so indoctrinate young people to do the dirty work at the sharp end. The tight communities they live in ensure compliance with the twisted interpretation of tradition and a terrorist is born. I think that is where attention should be focussed. Starve the weed of food and it dies. This situation has been building for a long time, a quick fix may not be available.

There seems to be an unbalanced attitude from the state around faith schools. If the kind of incitement that can persuade young people to adopt this lifestyle happened in the village school it would be stopped immediately. Unfortunately, in the laudable interests of social cohesion and the problems that could arise from community tensions, the situation is allowed to grow in other educational premises. It might be about time that the greater benefit of the population was considered. It would take a brave man to try it!
Old 26th September 2014, 08:28   #13
GT Courier
I really should get out more.......

Billy No Car

So here we go, today MPs vote on whether or not the UK should join in on US led airstrikes in Iraq.

As far as I can see there will be a separate vote of Syria.

Although public opinion polls suggest a 50 -60 % public support for this, I guess it will be a foregone conclusion that by tonight we will have joined the war.

Interesting the stories that are being reported today and in the run up to this:

Report of plot to bomb public transport in US and France
Report of terrorist related arrests in the UK
Report of identity of masked IS killer being known
Report of US targeting small oil refineries in Iraq
Report of 3000 Europeans joining IS

I note a fairly large lack of interest by the public in these events, once again the terrorists are headline news, but hardly feature in the 'most popular' news stories.

Indeed the small number of responses to this thread tell an interesting story in itself, mainly that there is a great apathy of this and people I have spoken to in person, seem not to care or know.

In other news:

Reports of increasing violence in China
World bank approves 104 million USD for poverty reduction in Rwanda

As an aside I saw the most ridiculous interview I have ever seen on BBC Breakfast this morning with Nigel Farage, not that I particularly support this chap, but level of questioning presented to him by the BBC news reader was quite frankly childish and ridiculous! IMHO

EDIT: In reflection, I don't think it was the most the ridiculous interview I have seen on the BBC
GT Courier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014, 08:43   #14
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
So here we go, today MPs vote on whether or not the UK should join in on US led airstrikes in Iraq.

As far as I can see there will be a separate vote of Syria.

Although public opinion polls suggest a 50 -60 % public support for this, I guess it will be a foregone conclusion that by tonight we will have joined the war.

Interesting the stories that are being reported today and in the run up to this:

Report of plot to bomb public transport in US and France
Report of terrorist related arrests in the UK
Report of identity of masked IS killer being known
Report of US targeting small oil refineries in Iraq
Report of 3000 Europeans joining IS

I note a fairly large lack of interest by the public in these events, once again the terrorists are headline news, but hardly feature in the 'most popular' news stories.

Indeed the small number of responses to this thread tell an interesting story in itself, mainly that there is a great apathy of this and people I have spoken to in person, seem not to care or know.

In other news:

Reports of increasing violence in China
World bank approves 104 million USD for poverty reduction in Rwanda

As an aside I saw the most ridiculous interview I have ever seen on BBC Breakfast this morning with Nigel Farage, not that I particularly support this chap, but level of questioning presented to him by the BBC news reader was quite frankly childish and ridiculous! IMHO

EDIT: In reflection, I don't think it was the most the ridiculous interview I have seen on the BBC
I think partly the lack of postings on here discussing this is also due to peeps not wanting to become embroiled in a political thread and risking the wrath of the moderators and upsetting folks with differing beliefs!

I'm sure we all have lots of thoughts on the situation and how this could be a global mess with a damned if we do, damned if we don't scenario.
Old 26th September 2014, 14:51   #15
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Perhaps people are very afraid and don't understand it all. I am and I don't.

Although I can guarantee one thing; it's not going to end very well.

Especially for a certain taxi drive from Manchester. Sincerely hope I'm wrong.

BW

Last edited by Borg Warner; 26th September 2014 at 15:33..
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014, 15:03   #16
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

QUOTE Coolcat : 'm sure we all have lots of thoughts on the situation and how this could be a global mess with a damned if we do, damned if we don't scenario.
My sentiments exactly Jeff, regardless of what we do, even if we take out the head honcho, there will always be another nutter willing to stand up and take his place. If they take that one out,another will come along again. They are brain washed into it.I best stop now before the thread gets closed down.
Old 26th September 2014, 16:13   #17
whitevanman
This is my second home

2001 Connie SE CDT, 2002 2.0Petrol Laguna SportHatch

I did find it 'interesting' that despite thousands fleeing Syria across the border into Turkey because of ISIS basically taking over the first places they bombed were in Iraq

Now i'm not saying ISIS were not in Iraq as they are everywhere, but surely you start in the country that is having the biggest problem. I also disagree with the head honcho thing..I used to be the manager of a shipping office in Kent...Total number of staff? One, me...then I moved to be manager of a department within a bigger office number of staff seven..Only then did I consider myself a manager..

Without cannon fodder you are a leader/manager of nothing..You will always get new leaders to step up to the plate even if they bump them off every 10mins..An unknown in a patch of desert lasting a few days maybe a different kettle of fish after a while..

Car: Connie SE CDT Manual, Mods: O-Rings, Silicon intercooler hose, Stainless EGR Bypass, BMW PCV Mod, 160 Upgrade, DD Unit, Projector Headlights, Powerflex Bottom Mount, Remote Clutch reservoir, SS Compensator; Inline Stat To Come: cat gut (when replacing iffy section). Meteors after refurb..
whitevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014, 16:42   #18
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

We, the public, rarely get to know the real reason our forces engage others, and I doubt that will ever change.

I did notice though, that *London gets 24x more public funding than the entire North of England!!

*Quote from last nights "hard talk" TV prog guest, Michael Hesletine...
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014, 21:18   #19
damienp
This is my second home

skoda estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
I think partly the lack of postings on here discussing this is also due to peeps not wanting to become embroiled in a political thread and risking the wrath of the moderators and upsetting folks with differing beliefs!
Blitz the lot with a Proper crusade. Send in hundreds of thousands of solidiers and wipe the land clean, then all the refugees and asylum seekers can go home to start again without living in fear.
damienp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014, 21:59   #20
FREDPLY
Avid contributor

club touring

Default GT Courier;1795396]It seems that we are about to go to war (again).

Quote:
It seems that we are about to go to war (again).

Personally I don't think this is the answer, but it appears to be a foregone conclusion (again)

Why does this appear to be the only option available?

What I find interesting, is the total lack of any really consultation or debate on the topic and that public interest in these sorts of events appears to be nearly zero.

For example, this is the top story on BBC at the moment:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29240959

Indeed there are no stories in the most read that are to do with the UK (Yes that includes Scotland!) going to war.

What a crazy world we live in where bombing and going to war is taught to be the path to peace - it makes no sense!
Sir

Having been employed in Afghanistan, Iraq and other unpleasant areas I find it interesting how uninformed and inexperienced people feel that the answer to the current issue is not to fight evil by delivering maximum violence to the enemy This is not about peace it is about putting down those that should not draw breath a little like rabid dogs. perhaps if a member of your family was beheaded or indeed a member of the fallen since 03 you would think differently ........ To be frank and having had my own say I do not think this forum is the place for my comments or that of others .... Bomb away Cameron Syria next
FREDPLY is offline   Reply With Quote