Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th August 2013, 14:59   #1
Ronin
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190+

Default Flip key mod. Good result.

So, I was looking at what I could do to my newly acquired flip key and thought I’d have a go at some vinyl wrapping. Having never used the stuff before I wasn’t sure what I was letting myself in for, I mean was it going to be really easy to apply or was I going to spend hours and hours delicately applying heat and massaging the wrap onto the flip key. A bit of Youtube-ing later and it looked like it was going to be ok, so I cracked on. The vinyl was bought off ebay, 2 x A4 sheets cost me £1.40 so there was no excuse not to give it a try

Pic1 – these are the tools I used. (Can you call a hair dryer a tool?) nothing fancy although I could have use a blade with a handle but I used what I had in the house.

*uploadfromtaptalk1376405882914.jpg

Pic2 – after taking the key apart I heated up the plastic casing a bit and applied the wrap to both ends. The difficulty for me, as a first time wrapper, was getting the corners nice and neat. But the more I did the better my technique got. Cutting out the button holes is also trickier than it looks, at least it was for me. I also used the thin handle of a tea spoon to indent the grooves in the plastic casing, worked a treat and once the wrap had cooled down it stayed in shape. Surprised myself with that one!

*uploadfromtaptalk1376405920893.jpg

Pic3 – the finished article. Once I had all the wrap applied I went over it with the hair driver a few times to try and get all the edges neat, I’d say that 90% of the key is nice and smooth, the only part that needs a little attention is the section where the key ring loop is, I just couldn’t get it right. Must try harder.

*uploadfromtaptalk1376405947125.jpg

All in all I’m pretty happy with it, now I’ve got some practice in (and because the key ring area is not as good as it could have been) I’m going to tear it all off and do it all again taking even more time, using an even thinner blade (with a handle!) and an even steadier hands. Oh and working on a nice flat work top, as opposed to my bed, might help. The flip mechanism isn’t affected in anyway, in fact the annoying gab that I posted about has now gone and the fit is even better. Result. *

There is, however, one issues I have to sort. Where the winged MG badge button sits it’s become a tighter fit because I folded the wrapping so it stuck to the underside of the casing, if that makes sense. What I am going to have to do is very carefully cut around the badge area so the button can be pressed without it sticking. Apart from that I think I did ok. This may lead me to go nuts and start vinyl wrapping a load more stuff! Rear wing, chrome sill strips, door mirrors, my watch, my pen, the list is endless! Haha!!

Anyway I hope you found some of that useful.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 15:02   #2
greendriver
This is my second home

MG ZTT 180 in Poseidon

You've made a nice job.
Old 13th August 2013, 15:10   #3
gazza190
Gets stuck in

mg zt-t 190 lpg

Default key

Looks like a clifford key now. Nice

mods: lazy indicators, carpet kick trims
gazza190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 15:27   #4
Le Mans 190
I really should get out more.......

RIP Le Mans 190 :(

nice job
Le Mans 190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 16:56   #5
Avid contributor

None, but a Juke soon

Ace, i like the mg logo keyring too
7.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 18:11   #6
Brabus
This is my second home

01 75 tourer cdt,1973 Rover 3500S,,1974 Rover 3500 Auto,1998 216 SE Coupe, 1968 Morris Minor 1000

That looks really good. Top job
121st 75 Tourer to be made
15th 75 Tourer CDT Club SE to be made
36th 75 Tourer in Zircon Silver Metallic to be made

Membership No 903

I was one of the 541
Brabus is offline   Reply With Quote