Notices

Old 29th May 2012, 19:25   #11
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanked 1,210 Times in 716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlpenn View Post
No offence but those stories have no relation whatsoever? What has uncollected Taxes got to do with people being given the life of Luxury on Benefits? Especially People who are fit to work, let us be honest here "I cant work because I have Migraines and feel faint if I work for more than an hour" really?

I have an Ingrowing Toenail and Back Problems, perhaps I should get me some...........

This is not the Only Family doing this either, so whilst the article does directly refer to them, I am more annoyed at the fact there are Hundreds or even thousands of people out there doing this. So that 50k I wonder how much the other folk add to it?
Wait til Universal Credit is introduced. It's designed to ensure that people/families on benefit will NEVER be better off than people/families in similiar situations who are working.

I didn't read the articles however unpaid taxes and MP's expenses are a drain on our resources and are every bit as fraudulent as benefit cheats and worse than your ordinary layabout who's only claiming what he's entitled to claim due to a lax benefit system.
Old 29th May 2012, 19:29   #12
Steve916
This is my second home

Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE and a Ford S-Max Titanium

These sort of stories wind me up too
We have 3 kids. I work 12 hour shifts for a reasonable wage. My wife wants to work but can't because my daughter has constant hospital and doctor appointments, and we have to struggle by. My wages become worth less and less to us as the cost of fuel and food etc has risen so much. But, some lazy so and so can have everything handed to them on a plate
Plenums, bonnet release mod, handbrake compensator (arctic), rear parking sensors, coolant level sensor (Vindaloo), DRL's, Fan resistor upgrade ( Jules), Marmite lighting, Auto dimming rear view mirror, twin horns, fog lights, real walnut dash, walnut gear knob, Sean DD unit with DVB-T, message centre ipk, electric sun blind, auto opening boot lid, walnut steering wheel, electric seats

Link to my Auto Boot Lift Mod
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=114273
Steve916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 19:42   #13
carlpenn
This is my second home

2000 Wedgey Blue 2.5V6 Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve916 View Post
These sort of stories wind me up too
We have 3 kids. I work 12 hour shifts for a reasonable wage. My wife wants to work but can't because my daughter has constant hospital and doctor appointments, and we have to struggle by. My wages become worth less and less to us as the cost of fuel and food etc has risen so much. But, some lazy so and so can have everything handed to them on a plate
I know what you mean.

To put this in perspective, the DWP Spokesperson said in that article that the £50k paid to them is equivalent to £72k a year pre tax.

That means for every four years my Wife works, she earns equal pre tax to that figure. For me, on Minimum Wage, its 6 years. So I have to work 6 years and my Wife 4 years to equal that Benefit Income for ONE Year.

Then people wonder why we get upset? It isn't like they have a valid reason for claiming, I mean seriously "I get faint if I work" is not a reasonable excuse, nor is having Migraines, I used to have them from the age of 14 right through to 21. It never stopped me working and I used to get them so aggresive that just as the Migraine started, I would lose my Sight and then faint, followed by several days of agonising headache and Nausea.

This story is a typical one of the modern day Lazy bone Brit society.

BTW I sympathise with what you say in your post, My Wife and I had been the same for many years financially. Though, I gave up work to look after the Kids as they where not old enough to look after themselves, I didn't claim Benefits though, apparently, after losing my Job to ill health, I wasn't entitled to Benefits (Ironic really taking into context the Newspaper article )
Old 29th May 2012, 20:03   #14
Tatts
This is my second home

MG6 TL

Makes my blood boil.

I've paid income tax & NI since starting work in September 1977, Since 2001 I've paid NI and TWO lots of income tax (wages & pension). I shudder to think what I've paid into the system since I started work. I've never claimed a penny from the state, never been out of work. Plus for 22 years, I've had to pay rates/poll tax/council tax and for 9 of those years, despite being out of the country, still had to pay it. Between 1979 & 2001 never used the NHS either.

In 2007 I lost my job, so I applied for JSA. I was promptly told I was entitled to NOTHING, as I have savings and a pension.

You read about and physically see these idle layabouts scamming the system for everything.

Personally, I can't wait for this new benefit system to come into force. I hope it nails those cheating the system, and is only paid to those deserving.
Tatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 20:04   #15
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...o-rich-to-work-

This is appalling and a show of the typical sham that Britains "Benefit Society" has become.

A couple of quotes from this Family just to make you irate:

Each year Stephanie and Ian Fennessy-Sharp rake in:
£20,400 housing benefit for their 5 bed house,
£14,456 child tax credits,
£8,320 incapacity benefit,
£4,524 child benefit and
£1,200 council tax benefit.

To be honest, I don't understand how they're well off! That works out at just over £4000 per head per year. We're just getting by and per head per year we have a larger income. So I certainly don't believe they're living in the lap of luxury!
Old 29th May 2012, 20:05   #16
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:

To put this in perspective, the DWP Spokesperson said in that article that the £50k paid to them is equivalent to £72k a year pre tax.

The DWP spokesperson didn't say that, it was a quote direct from the newspaper.
Old 29th May 2012, 20:08   #17
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatts View Post

only paid to those deserving.
The whole point of the benfits system. There to support people unfortunate enough to need it. Unfortunately it's now seen as a lifestyle choice, and for that you need to go back to good ole Maggie who encouraged people to go sick in order to bring down the unemployment figures. The 80's generation were the first real benefit scroungers, although most of them were forced to. Nowadays, it's their kids. Through choice.
Old 29th May 2012, 20:11   #18
Godfer
Posted a thing or two

Seafrost 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
So re-arrange the income to what you think they 'should' be getting? Which money would you take away from them?

5 bedroom house for 10 kids and two adults? Doesn't sound excessive. The rent is the rent they don't get the money.

£2100 a year on which to bring up a kid? That'd be a larf...

Incapacity benefit? WOSSAT? About to disappear under the 'reassessments' to be replaced by Employment Support Allowance... vast majority of reassessments are resulting in peeps finding they no longer fit the criteria for being ill / disabled because they are not being assessed on that any more (by healthcare professionals)... but they are being ultimately assessed on what they are able to do in spite of their infirmities by peeps with a checklist and no medical experience whatsoever...

Council tax benefit of only £1200 a year? For a five bed house in London? Mine is half as much again for bog all services and living in the middle of nowhere? Why's that then? Because it doesn't cover the cost of their council tax which'll be considerably more.

From the outside, yes, it looks shocking and people get upset because it is their taxes supporting this. However, ask anyone on benefits how easy it actually is to 'not work' and how much pressure they come under to take on 'any job' - even if it leaves them without enough money to get by on because of travel costs etc - the benefits agency are ruthless in NOT giving peeps what they are entitled to let alone those they KNOW are attempting to fiddle the system!

Yes, we can jump up and down about the irresponsibility / immorality / fecklessness of the parents but THAT is a very very different issue from saying, 'This family get too much', because then all the others with a bit more self-regard and a bit more of a responsible attitude who have only a couple of kids...or even no kids at all... get penalised with even further reduced benefits because we are all getting up in arms about the tiny minority who the Express love to highlight.

So long as we get taken in by this sort of story - which attempts to direct our anger at a very small group in society - then we aren't getting to grips with the REAL scandals such as these:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012...n_1250025.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15001965

So, £36.5 BILLION.....and we get irate about £50K????

Oh, and here is another £25 billion not going to support the country...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...dance-industry
Well said Sir! I mean imagine The Express (and their fair minded, balanced readership) being sensationalist!
Godfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 20:11   #19
carlpenn
This is my second home

2000 Wedgey Blue 2.5V6 Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterchick View Post
The DWP spokesperson didn't say that, it was a quote direct from the newspaper.
Yep, You are quite right, my Bad, I missed the " " Quotes Let me stand and be corrected
Old 29th May 2012, 20:14   #20
Steve916
This is my second home

Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE and a Ford S-Max Titanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterchick View Post
To be honest, I don't understand how they're well off! That works out at just over £4000 per head per year. We're just getting by and per head per year we have a larger income. So I certainly don't believe they're living in the lap of luxury!
They're not necessarily well off, but they have everything they need and aren't paying for it. They probably do little cash in hand jobs in their SPARE time too.
Yes, some could say, but you can do cash in hand jobs too if you wanted.
The difference is that after spending 12 hours a day at work, the last thing I want is to be doing cash in hand jobs. They have every day of their lives to do that.
Plenums, bonnet release mod, handbrake compensator (arctic), rear parking sensors, coolant level sensor (Vindaloo), DRL's, Fan resistor upgrade ( Jules), Marmite lighting, Auto dimming rear view mirror, twin horns, fog lights, real walnut dash, walnut gear knob, Sean DD unit with DVB-T, message centre ipk, electric sun blind, auto opening boot lid, walnut steering wheel, electric seats

Link to my Auto Boot Lift Mod
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=114273
Steve916 is offline   Reply With Quote