Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th November 2020, 17:38   #11
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
My car is a Saloon. Please advise what are the "Boot Vents".
Behind the side carpets you'll see them, may be covered in tape, which isn't waterproof
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2020, 17:52   #12
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:
My car is a Saloon. Please advise what are the "Boot Vents".
I think they are item 9 in this picture :
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID001823
The RAVE manual says that there is one each side of the boot , consisting of a grille with a rubber flap to vent air from inside the car to the outside space under the bumper . Not sure if they are in the carpet side-liners or beneath them . If they have been sealed off then condensation will happen .
Old 26th November 2020, 22:30   #13
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
I think they are item 9 in this picture :
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID001823
The RAVE manual says that there is one each side of the boot , consisting of a grille with a rubber flap to vent air from inside the car to the outside space under the bumper . Not sure if they are in the carpet side-liners or beneath them . If they have been sealed off then condensation will happen .
Hi. The vents you refer to are fitted into the metal of each side inside the boot where the wheel arch is. Sometimes these are not fitted properly at manufacture. Out of sight out of mind. You can fix this by running a bead of silicon sealer around the outside edge of them.Mine in the diesel have been ok, also the KV6. My friends Connie has/had a leak into the boot and we discovered that one of these was not fitted properly.
Old 27th November 2020, 12:56   #14
Edward Huggins
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Many thanks for all of your suggestions. I have now played a hose directly on to all of the areas you have suggested. There was no ingress. Finally, I lifted the boot lid and played the hose under some pressure directly to the side valleys and top seal and let it run heavily into the rearlamp clusters. Nothing, no ingress. Is there a more demanding test I could try? Shall I spray form the underside?
Edward Huggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2020, 16:39   #15
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Many thanks for all of your suggestions. I have now played a hose directly on to all of the areas you have suggested. There was no ingress. Finally, I lifted the boot lid and played the hose under some pressure directly to the side valleys and top seal and let it run heavily into the rearlamp clusters. Nothing, no ingress. Is there a more demanding test I could try? Shall I spray form the underside?
I've been looking for where the water is getting in on and off for months now.
Your splash test should have shown this up but there is a seam where the rear wing and the boot frame join along the side gutter's of the boot - it runs from up the C pillar to the top of the rear light aperture; the join in the area of the rear screen lower corners isn't always flush. If the sealant has failed here water gets into the cavity and runs down the seam line and then drips inside the boot just above the rear light bulb plattern - which is a bit misleading if your checking the rear light seals. There is another possibility of water getting behind the boot lid hinge plates via the two fixing bolts, carefully remove the bolts and give the threaded holes a dose of sealant (do the 4 bolt one at a time so the hinges don't move).
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2020, 22:13   #16
Parisien
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon 2006, MG ZT 190+ 2002

If you remove both boot inside side coverings, there's a plastic ventilation vent either side, about 8 x 4 inches. To successfully reseal, you need to remove bumper, push flexible click tabs back through, then seal opening with silicone based sealant. Click vent back into place, also check masking type tape nearby , plus other mastic finishes in that area.

P
Parisien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2020, 15:35   #17
Workhorse
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Just a thought as I'm currently chasing the source of a very leaky boot as well - are either of your rear lights cracked? I've just replaced one of mine that had a relatively minor crack and once it was off the car I filled it up from the inside using a tap and it was surprising how rapid the drip through the crack was.
I've also replaced the rear gaskets with a set of these, so next time it rains I should know if the rear lights were the main source: https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=142690
Workhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2020, 16:35   #18
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
I've been looking for where the water is getting in on and off for months now.
Your splash test should have shown this up but there is a seam where the rear wing and the boot frame join along the side gutter's of the boot - it runs from up the C pillar to the top of the rear light aperture; the join in the area of the rear screen lower corners isn't always flush. If the sealant has failed here water gets into the cavity and runs down the seam line and then drips inside the boot just above the rear light bulb plattern - which is a bit misleading if your checking the rear light seals. There is another possibility of water getting behind the boot lid hinge plates via the two fixing bolts, carefully remove the bolts and give the threaded holes a dose of sealant (do the 4 bolt one at a time so the hinges don't move).
Yes th seams flex with age and leak. I used paint with a bit of flex added to it.

Looking up into th seam area from inside th boot.

Water beading after paint application.

Did th other side too.

Anther seam that leaks too.

Good luck.
Old 28th November 2020, 16:43   #19
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Also have a read of this. Most covered here. https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=251938
Old 29th November 2020, 09:49   #20
Edward Huggins
Avid contributor

Rover 75

With your help I've now found the internal drip point, but yet to find the source for the drip! It's dripping from the underside of the U channel half way between the LH rear lamp cluster and the LH bottom of the rear windscreen. (By U channel I mean as in the 3rd pic down in the very helpful Post #18) Water is trickling down on the underside to form a large drip, but I've yet to trace the ingress point. Further up the underside of the channel it goes into a void nearer to the rear screen. As with many of you, I've spent hours on this so far. Eventually I needed help with my Son directing the water jet and with me halfway into the boot with a torch.
Edward Huggins is offline   Reply With Quote