Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th November 2020, 12:27   #21
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

If you remove a glow plug and run a power supply to it you will find it becomes RED HOT. Fuel burns at a considerably lower temperature than this when producing power in the engine. The glow plug would suffer far less than the exhaust valves as burning diesel exits past them. And quite often they seem to need no help for the whole life of the engine.---

Glow plugs do very little in fact, as 99% of the time they don't do any work at all, just lie there.

I have even heard fellas say that about their partners but I have no idea what they are talking about.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2020, 12:52   #22
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
If you remove a glow plug and run a power supply to it you will find it becomes RED HOT. Fuel burns at a considerably lower temperature than this when producing power in the engine. The glow plug would suffer far less than the exhaust valves as burning diesel exits past them. And quite often they seem to need no help for the whole life of the engine.---Glow plugs do very little in fact, as 99% of the time they don't do any work at all, just lie there.I have even heard fellas say that about their partners but I have no idea what they are talking about.---
If you take an injector, particularly one with a bit of carbon/dirt on the tip, look through an infra red camera, you will see the part of of the tip with the dirt on it, will likely glow whiter, at that point, which would be where the casing of the tip would likely fail first. That is how I envisage spraying diesel directly onto injectors would work/fail (I am not saying they are not designed in this way, as I do not know, but I find it a strange design).

The exhaust valves would suffer less (in my mind) as flaming fuel going past them would happen less often (or rather it should), however, the heat would be spread more uniformly over the valve as it goes by. On an glow plug tip with a failing injector, this would likely be concentrated on a single point.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2020, 15:34   #23
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Glow plugs fail from the inside out.

The central heating wire burns out. The plug becomes open circuit and will no longer heat up. At this stage the outside can look perfectly sound.

As the old saying goes------The truth will out.---

Exhaust valves can and do run dull red when the engine is running at high revs.

Last edited by COLVERT; 29th November 2020 at 15:36..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote