Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st June 2017, 11:34   #1
Matt70
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Unhappy water leaks?

Hi guys,

I am having major problems with a water leak on my 2.5 V6 petrol Rover 75 which has done 99k miles...and I bought second and last October 2016.
I recently replace a Oil Cooler because after passing the MOT in May the advise was to check a little Oil Leak...after changing The Oil Cooler I had to replace a broken pipe for a small leak of water ..Now every time that I take the car for a small trip 10 - 15 miles the system is losing over a pint of water and if I leave the car the day after I have completely the water tank empty! The same mechanic told me that he didn't see any external signs of water leaks, and no sign of water in the engine oil...the pressure is ok, he told me that he don't want anymore see this car because he told me that Rover are NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- cars and suggested me to sell it! I was in Birmingham from London without any problem before...problems started only when I putted his hand in my car.
I'm beginning to suspect the water pump gland might be leaking, but the absence of any external leaks is baffling me.
Anybody got any ideas on this one?

Last edited by Matt70; 22nd June 2017 at 10:51..
Matt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2017, 12:43   #2
philm
Loves to post

rover 75 tourer

This is going to be awkward to diagnose,if you can put some talcum powder on & near the most obvious places may help to spot the water leak.
philm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2017, 13:11   #3
Dansrockin
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT number 1 of 25 celestial!!

Have you checked the obvious places yourself? Things like the v of the engine, radiator, side of engine by water pump? Check for pink staining. You may not be seeing water anywhere if it's evaporated from engine heat. Maybe the mechanic is fobbing you off if he just doesn't want to do the work!
Dansrockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2017, 14:24   #4
Matt70
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Unhappy Re:water leaks?

Thank you Dansrockin & philm , the mechanic checked everything and doesn't asked me a penny so for this reason is an honest person. The water comes out of from the RPE Water Tank Cap I ordered now a new Radiator Pressure Expansion Water Tank Cap and I hope to solve this issue ..The water level is not easily to read and I think I have often exaggerated even because I putted only coolant without water ..sorry but i don't know anything about cars as I'm a bike man! Someone knows a good mechanic specialized in Rover cars in ESSEX, Southend on Sea area?

Last edited by Matt70; 21st June 2017 at 14:26..
Old 21st June 2017, 14:33   #5
Matt70
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Re:philm

Quote:
Originally Posted by philm View Post
This is going to be awkward to diagnose,if you can put some talcum powder on & near the most obvious places may help to spot the water leak.
The water comes out of from the RPE Water Tank Cap I ordered now a new Radiator Pressure Expansion Water Tank Cap and I hope to solve this issue ]
Old 21st June 2017, 14:35   #6
Matt70
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansrockin View Post
Have you checked the obvious places yourself? Things like the v of the engine, radiator, side of engine by water pump? Check for pink staining. You may not be seeing water anywhere if it's evaporated from engine heat. Maybe the mechanic is fobbing you off if he just doesn't want to do the work!
the mechanic checked everything and doesn't asked me a penny so for this reason is an honest person. The water comes out of from the RPE Water Tank Cap I ordered now a new Radiator Pressure Expansion Water Tank Cap and I hope to solve this issue]
Old 21st June 2017, 15:05   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Matt,

After the oil cooler replacement was the cooling system properly refilled and bled by following the official MGR procedure? This involves raising the expansion tank. Judging by your mechanic's remarks I doubt that this was done so you probably have an air lock.

Simon
Old 21st June 2017, 15:59   #8
Dansrockin
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT number 1 of 25 celestial!!

I'd be surprised if your losing as much coolant as you say from a leaky cap, but they do go. I've just replaced mine as there was a lot of pink staining around the cap and expansion bottle. Only downside to that is that now the pressure can't get out there, it's exposed a weak point in the stat housing and now that's leaking!
Dansrockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2017, 16:43   #9
Matt70
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansrockin View Post
I'd be surprised if your losing as much coolant as you say from a leaky cap, but they do go. I've just replaced mine as there was a lot of pink staining around the cap and expansion bottle. Only downside to that is that now the pressure can't get out there, it's exposed a weak point in the stat housing and now that's leaking!
So what you suggest me? don't change the leaky cap? I've already purchased it for £7 but if you tell me that is better leave the old one I send back..I don't want to pay to much money for a car bought for £500 if I need after change the stat housing, I have already changed the 4 tyres, the 2 front bush, the Oil Cooler, the Cam belt , the Wipers...I think in the end Is better to buy a Ferrari as It will cost me maybe less!!
Old 21st June 2017, 16:47   #10
Matt70
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Matt,

After the oil cooler replacement was the cooling system properly refilled and bled by following the official MGR procedure? This involves raising the expansion tank. Judging by your mechanic's remarks I doubt that this was done so you probably have an air lock.

Simon
The mechanic told me that as refilled the cooling system ...I don't think has any idea about MGR!! When I showed him the official ROVER 75 manual did not even want to see .. mechanics seem not like to read!