Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 3rd June 2016, 20:34   #211
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

The currency isn't so much an I don't think, the euro is here to stay. Of course some think it will disappear, but people have been saying that it would collapse since before it was even created and every year since.

From those that deal at the level the germans AM especially would like us to take more of a central role in the EU and it's direction.

I don't really think there is any country with real desire to leave apart from the uk.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
Old 3rd June 2016, 20:53   #212
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebuilder View Post
Well we won't be the 5th largest trading nation for long if we exit the world's biggest common market. We'll drop right down that table.

The EU us our biggest trading partner and the world's biggest economy. Every single independent economist believes our economy will tank if we leave. You think differently?

Whatever people's motivation for wanting 'Out' claiming we will become more prosperous is fantasy and a non-argument now. I assume the reason the Out campaign has no economic plan and just waffles on about it is they realise it would be too easy to pick holes in it. That was the mistake the SNP made in the independence referendum, when they cited Scotland's economic future on a ridiculous oil price.
I agree with the Scottish Referendum point - Salmond is/was an economic illiterate who was barely able to string a sentence together on his economic plans apart from increasing oil price as you say.

He ignored the superb financial options that were available and snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. But I don't see that many similarities between the two referenda

The United States received the most British export goods last year, followed by Germany and France. The top trade partner for imports was Germany, followed by the United States and China.

The UK exported £31.7bn worth of products to the US. As a single country the US is the biggest economy in the world. As a trading block of Nations the EU does surpass this - but the EU is a very different entity to the far more cohesive USA.

In U.S. dollar terms, the European Union (and this figure includes Norway, Switzerland, Iceland that are NOT EU members - the data is from the IMF which lumps us all together ) accounted for 25.4% of world output in 2014 according to data from the International Monetary Fund. That was greater than America’s share (22.5%) and well in excess of China’s—13.4%,"

BUT - put the USA, China, India the Far East and Australasia together and you have potential trading partners that add up to considerably more than the EU adds up to.

This, coupled with the fact that the EU is in a right old mess whereas the worlds economies are doing far better, means that I see no reason at all to fear a good economically sound future for the UK either in or outside of the EU.

For me - it is more about other matters - and here I am talking Free Movement and how negative this can be for our youngsters wanting houses and jobs. - And I am talking sovereignty - London is one of THE financial trading centres in the world. The EU outside of the UK does sweet FA in comparison.

And what was the EU's plan to help prop up the failing Euro? - a tax on financial transaction!

So a market we excel at and are one of the world leaders at would have had a tax layer added to it by the EU to bail out the failing Euro. Such a tax would have no doubt seen this Trading centre move elsewhere.

Thankfully our Government had the Balls to say no to this - but it again demonstrates to me just how inept and small minded EU politicians are - and Merkel exemplifies all that is bad about EU politicians with her meddling in the Energy market in her own country such that the actual result of her meddling is exactly the opposite of what she said would happen.

And rather than say "Oops! got that wrong!" - she refuses to accept that her policies are a disaster and simply ignores any reference to things going wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
The currency isn't so much an I don't think, the euro is here to stay. Of course some think it will disappear, but people have been saying that it would collapse since before it was even created and every year since.

From those that deal at the level the germans AM especially would like us to take more of a central role in the EU and it's direction.

I don't really think there is any country with real desire to leave apart from the uk.
Well the Danes are watching with great interest. And the Swedes have said if we go - they go.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/04...u-well-follow/

The EU is not popular with the PIGS - an Out vote could force the EU to REALLY have a good look at itself.

An In vote just means more of the Same Old Same Old.

Last edited by Dragrad; 3rd June 2016 at 23:47.. Reason: Consecutive posts - use the edit or Multi-quote :-)
Old 3rd June 2016, 21:09   #213
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

I'd be surprised if that poll turned it into them actual leaving. When I was in Sweden I didn't get that impression.

It might, but I still think it'll be a 55/45% to stay in.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
Old 3rd June 2016, 21:39   #214
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

I have learned more about the "EU" debate on this thread than reading/watching anything on mainstream media Thank you gents My mind is now firmly made up
Old 3rd June 2016, 21:42   #215
bobthebuilder
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE

Darcydog, by all means try to develop new markets, diversification is good. But if it was easy, we'd have already done it. The EU market is already there and it's critical to our economic welfare. Putting that at risk is silly, as all independent economists acknowledge.

And breaking down EU trade into individual countries doesn't change the fact that the EU is our biggest trading partner, nice try!!
Old 3rd June 2016, 21:43   #216
Polly
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 260 SE, ZS120, ZR105

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
I have learned more about the "EU" debate on this thread than reading/watching anything on mainstream media Thank you gents My mind is now firmly made up

I wonder if we can now help you change it😀

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 3rd June 2016, 21:50   #217
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
I wonder if we can now help you change it😀

It's very strange Les, that I was watching a poll on Sky? I think, where all of the non English countries were to vote remain, whereas England was very much of the out opinion Why would that be do you think?
Old 3rd June 2016, 22:50   #218
Polly
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 260 SE, ZS120, ZR105

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
It's very strange Les, that I was watching a poll on Sky? I think, where all of the non English countries were to vote remain, whereas England was very much of the out opinion Why would that be do you think?

I'm not so sure that even Scotland is as pro Europe as is claimed. Just about everyone I speak to wants out.
But then maybe that tells me I need some new friends😳

Old 4th June 2016, 00:44   #219
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
I'm not so sure that even Scotland is as pro Europe as is claimed. Just about everyone I speak to wants out.
But then maybe that tells me I need some new friends��

Keep your right thinking friends.. Getting the same experience here, regardless of age or social/business standing.... The vast majority want OUT of EU. Trade agreements will be fine

That is our recent history.... IMHO decimalisation was bad enough (1968 - 71) - we lost the penny. thr'ppence, sixpence, shilling, ten bob and the Guinea) But joining the EEC was OK..... but where did we vote to join the EU ?

Memory fails me at this point, but was not this about the point where VAT was introduced ? VAT = Value Added Tax... Where is the value ?? And to whom ??? And why?...... (rhetorical)

Free trade (without tariffs) I can live with, the (unlikely - but possible, under EU rules of free movement) of 500m + people having free access to our country, regardless of "criminal" history, scares the excreta out of me Let alone the 5 new member states due to join.....

(I write this as a member, and not as a Moderator. This issue is important and may be the last chance to voice our thoughts/issues on this matter)

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Last edited by Dragrad; 4th June 2016 at 01:21..
Old 4th June 2016, 08:44   #220
stevenicks
This is my second home

MG ZT 180 Auto / Rover 75 2.0 Diesel

Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,264 Posts

Well done Gove, a much, much better performance than Call Me Dave Or am I being biased Probably, but what the heck

Steve
Closed Thread