Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29th May 2016, 21:15   #11
Polly
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 260 SE, ZS120, ZR105

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebuilder View Post
With respect, you are rather missing the point. Because the government did not (and I think I'm correct on this) include 'staying in' as a manifesto pledge, people can complain that they have no mandate to state their 'in' position as they are doing now (at tax payers expense). They obviously did this as the party is totally divided over the issue.

By and large, I'm sure the politicians - and public - take the side they do out of conviction. Not Boris however..... otherwise he wouldn't have been saying in February how good the EU is or taken so long to decide which side he's actually on!!

He's taken a punt on 'Out' winning, Cameron's position being untenable and guess who then becomes PM. Not somebody anyone voted for, that's for sure.

And talking of anti-democratic, when are those accusing the EU of being as much going to object to the House of Lords?

But there is a huge difference between the House of Lords and the EU commissioners.
I don't actually understand how the EU actually works, I don't think anybody does, and that's the first difference, but the second and more worrying difference is that it's the unelected EU commissioners who actually produce the laws, and even though we can sometimes veto the ones we don't like, it is by no means always the case. I believe for example, they recently created a new directive withdrawing the veto in certain circumstances, so in actual fact, they might even withdraw it entirely if they so wished, and there is nothing we can do about it.
The House of Lords on the other hand, can't make or amend any laws. They can however block new laws which they consider to be bad laws, and in my view that's a good thing. Without that protection, the present government could steam roller through any law they wanted, perhaps that the tax rate should be increased to 110%

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk