Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd November 2012, 17:49   #11
Thomas
This is my second home

MG6 1.8T GT SE

Brilliant thread, I will get this posted in the how to section.
Old 22nd November 2012, 19:14   #12
galaxyclass
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT+ 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonite View Post
For the sake of four bolts you get a lot more access and I like access.
It's not by any means an easy job but it's quite doable. There will always be people on motoring forums who claim to do difficult jobs in 30 minutes with a tea break and a good **** in between but no, in the end it took me about 4hrs as I struggled getting fat hands in to undo the bolt. Then when the elbow snapped right on the engine I had a bit of a faff cleaning it all out but still it wasn't too taxing.
You do have to sacrifice some skin but once you've squeezed your hand in its straight forward.

It always makes sense to give the throttle body a clean out and clear the thick deposits from the butterfly and relube it to help it move more freely.
Excellent post, i agree with you about the "i can do it in 30 mins" brigade, it took me best part of 4 - 5 hours and i have nimble fingers, i took my time and took a teabreak inbetween removing the damn elbow piece.
And if you do it on a nice sunday and stretch it out you might not have to help with the dishes after sunday dinner
Mods done - Spyhole mod - Xenons - Blue dash lights (except message centre) - VIS indicators - Illuminated sun visors - Drivers grab handle - Smiley plate - Rear electric blind - Handbrake compensator.

Mods to do - Powerfolds - Better ICE - Headlight washers - Heated seats - cruise - And loads more i can't remember.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
galaxyclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 20:13   #13
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
Brilliant thread, I will get this posted in the how to section.
Indeed worthy and can be found here

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013, 14:14   #14
bornagainroverowner

1999 ROVER 75 2.5 Conni. AUTO

Default Keyhole surgery

I have begun doing mine today, having got as far as removing the duff stat housing i am now waiting until tomorrow to put the new one in. I was quite shocked to have the top half of the housing come away as I removed it, which will explain the fact hat any topping up was immediately dumped in to the V.
I removed the elbow pipe whole using a half inch extension inserted in it to wiggle it free as someone else suggested.
My problem is going to be getting the 8mm bolt back in that secures the new housing, getting it out was OK as the top half was gone. It is a 10ml socket.
The long pipe has a wee bit at the end that was quite brittle and worn away, also the o seals looked really tired.
Whoever thought it was a good idea to make this housing from plastic was obviously an accountant and not an engineer.
I decided on trying this method as the thought of removing all the plumbing and manifolds did not appeal, it may yet come to that but I will you keep posted. So far so good 90 minutes work to date.
The wiring loom to the sensor is as in the picture bereft of it's shielding. Which has gone brittle and departed. I am wondering if it is wise to leave it as such? Otherwise I will need to send away for the correct sleeving.
Thanks for this excellent thread, where would we be with out this marvellous forum.
bornagainroverowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013, 17:45   #15
Dashiel
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 V6 2.0 Club Tourer LPG

Btw if the plastic snapped there will be some left in the block. Use a bit of plastic to lever it out.
This is one reason not to use this method imho - you just cant see properly what is going on.
Btw 2 you must have surgeons hands to get in that gap. :xmas-smiley-031:
Dashiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013, 17:53   #16
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornagainroverowner View Post
I have....
Thanks for this excellent thread, where would we be with out this marvellous forum.
In pooh up to our necks.!

Or something to that effect!
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013, 18:42   #17
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

Ive got pretty fat arms mate and it is possible to squeeze it in over the stat to refit the 8mm bolt. Once you've got your arm in it really is pretty easy to redo it. I had to sacrifice some skin but no more than I scuff off walking over speed bumps.
Take pics too, might be something different that may help others
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013, 19:01   #18
bornagainroverowner

Default Keyhole surgery

Thanks canonite, my fingers have been compared to a bunch of Fyfves bananas, which is why I never passed my gynaecology exams

However I feel more confident about a successful out come here, having seen it out. I will,try for some pics tomorrow.

I intend using vegetable spread to lube the o rings prior to fitting.

I have decided to wrap the wiring in tin foil and cable tie it.

Dashiel I have not had any plastic snapping of what happened was the stat had parted company at the seam, but nothing was stuck in any of the ports all is clean and good to go. If I get the 8mm bolt in and tight it will have been a wee doddle, compared to removing the manifolds.

I also removed the lifting bracket that sits to the side of the gap, this gave me a lot of room, but have not found the need to remove battery box as someone else had.

The throttle body needs a good clean and service so taking it out has been beneficial. Watch this space!
Old 4th January 2013, 20:12   #19
bornagainroverowner

Default Day 2

So I got an hour at the stat today due to the car being outside as my Defender 90 is in the workshop taking up the space. However it has been a succesfull hour as I fitted the new stat. The main body slotted in quite easily, the tricky one is the elbow piece, which I fitted but had to use a long screwdriver down through a gap in manifold to put pressure on the flange as I used my right hand to wiggle it in to place, eventually it slotted home. Then came the interesting bit. As I have said my hands resemble a bunch of Fyves finest. However with memories from my days on the farm I covered my left hand and wrist with Stork margarine which I had previously used to lube the o rings. This meant that my left hand easily slipped over the top of the stat without any friction and I was able to finger tighten the 8 mm bolt to secure the units in place. I then used a small 10mm ratchet ring spanner to tweek it tight, job done. After refitting the oil breather pipe I connected the hoses back up and filled the system with water to check for leaks. Not a drop has leaked. I then drained the system using the bottom hose at the rad to drain it down. Tomorrow I will refill it with water and run the engine as I still have to do the throttle chamber. I have taken some pics so I will try and post them when I find my card reader.:xmas-smiley-022:
Old 6th January 2013, 17:58   #20
bornagainroverowner

Default A dry V is a wondefull thing.

DSC_0376.JPG

DSC_0374.JPG

DSC_0373.JPG

Here are some photos from the job. I am pretty new to this photo uploading thing as I had to download Photoscape to resize and I have now lost the will to live. However the stat is in and cushtie.

Happiness is a dry V!

Job done filled her up again road tested and my V is dry, I am a happy bunny.

No frost forecast but I am going to drain her down again tomorrow and fill with red OAT 50/50. The comments by Kaiser and others on filling this system have proved to be 100%.

There is no need for vacuum filling or bleeding or any other palavers, just fill the thing slowly with coolant and top it up as required each morning before you drive.

It is self bleeding.

My heater and aircon has worked perfectly. I have had no issues with air locking or cold heater or anything else. I have now drained and filled the system twice. It has now become a ritual that I check this each day, a good excuse to purchase an AA Maglite, as if I needed one?

Today I drained and refilled with red OAT, went for a longish run and it is wonderful. No burning coolant smell, no steam when stopped. No problems with temperature.

Came back and checked the V with a torch and it is bone dry. Once it had gone cold I checked the level, and it has not dropped a bit, so all ends well.

All went better than I expected and it is not a difficult job doing it this way.

I removed the engine lifting bracket and the breather pipe that goes across the gap, I then had all the room I needed.

I will post a photo of the old stat if I can get the Photoscape thing to work properly.

If this happens again I would probably consider the metal stat, if they are still available Mr K?

Making the housing from plastic was an act of vandalism IMHO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0374d.JPG (60.0 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0377B.JPG (67.7 KB, 189 views)

Last edited by bornagainroverowner; 7th January 2013 at 13:09..