Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th March 2019, 21:38   #21
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 75 View Post
Thanks for that, a contact maybe handy but it will be morning before I get a dry chance to refit the ECU and see if I have killed it.

On that note, is there anything I need along with a new ECU? I'm sure I read that you need another item and also a keyfob relating to the ECU that gets fitted, but I don't know what the score is with a new ECU. And will I have to take it to a garage so they can program it to the car? I'm a bit ignorant on the technicalities, sorry.

I hope you are right, unless several things have all gone wrong at the same time, which is unlikely, I feel that the other problems were related to the ECU problem. So far I'm hoping that the wet connectors have simply shorted across causing the other problems and not done any damage to the ECU.

I'll let you all know how I get on after putting the ECU back in.
Steve, don't mess about with second hand ECM, you will be opening a whole can of worms if you do

I carry NNN500340 units on the shelf, and can more than likely repair your unit, and if not I'll make you a plug and play replacement........no messing around with immobilisers and keys

Oh and a lot cheaper than you will find HERE

If you need a hand, let me know

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2019, 19:26   #22
Steve 75

Rover 75 saloon

I appreciate that but I am a gardener with a small gardening round who has just come out of a winter with three months of virtually no work so buying a new one wasn't really in my current budget, but I shall bear you in mind for any future needs.

I have bought one off Ebay which included the ECU, the immobiliser and two key fob backs with the associated transponders for £59. They came off an identical car so I felt confident that it would work okay.

I have fitted the ECU and the immobiliser unit (or whatever it is called), and have put the backs on my two keys and the car works perfectly now, except for a different and unrelated issue which I will need to get sorted, but it's running and running well.

Removing the immobiliser unit was fun, the lack of clear access left me fumbling with my security torx bits and not getting anywhere, I felt I had the right size from the three I tried by feel. I thought it was because mine were just from a cheap set of bits so I bought a set from Halfords...they didn't fit either so I crammed my head into the space to have a better look and that was how I found out they were 5 point torx bolts! I managed to borrow a set and the rest is history, I also got my money back from Halfords for the torx set I bought.

Anyhow, thank you all for your replies and help, I have been driving the car on and off all day and no problems at all.

Last edited by Steve 75; 22nd March 2019 at 19:29..
Steve 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2019, 19:55   #23
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

I hope it wasn't this one Steve LINK

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2019, 20:05   #24
Steve 75

Rover 75 saloon

Hell no, the one I bought is a NNN500340, I checked all the relevant numbers matched before purchase and again before fitting

That one has only one key fob, the one I purchased has two and is perfect for me having two original keys
Steve 75 is offline   Reply With Quote