Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th March 2019, 16:01   #1
Rev Jules
Rev Jules

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts
Default Turbo Question?

Right as you may have read I have this problem with Blue smoke on start up, disconnected the MAF, checked the PCV, EGR okay, I have just taken it for a run
in Third gear at 3000 revs for 6 miles with no loss of power, or anything blue out of the back, if the Turbo was knackered surely it would kick out some sort of smoke from the back end.

Rev
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2019, 16:45   #2
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jules View Post

Right as you may have read I have this problem with Blue smoke on start up, disconnected the MAF, checked the PCV, EGR okay, I have just taken it for a run
in Third gear at 3000 revs for 6 miles with no loss of power, or anything blue out of the back, if the Turbo was knackered surely it would kick out some sort of smoke from the back end.

Rev
Turbo smoke is generally white.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2019, 17:20   #3
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hi Jules. I can tell you that if a turbo blows, you will know about it. If the smoke is blue. It can only be oil.I would have a look at the pipe that carries the compressed air from the turbo. If it is oily then the turbo seal is giving up the ghost.if the turbo does ‘go’ you will not see anything behind you only thick smoke. I have had one go on a lorry I was driving in brum and believe me, it is worse than a pea soup fog.Does the engine use any oil? Does the smoke appear worse after standing overnight? If so it could be valvestem seals, but as Brian says, it is unlikely.

Last edited by bl52krz; 18th March 2019 at 17:29..
bl52krz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2019, 17:31   #4
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jules View Post

Rev
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
Turbo smoke is generally white.
I'm afraid it's not quite that definitive, Rev. If the turbo seals start to leak you will get the blue smoke on startup - same situation as worn valve stem seals on a NA engine. With the engine off for a while the oil that is naturally there in normal operation leaks past the worn seals into the turbo to be ingested into the engine when it is started (or in the NA engine, leaks past the valve stem seals directly into the combustion chamber). Once that residual oil is burned off, no more smoke until the next time it sits for a while and is restarted. This condition doesn't affect boost or performance.

In your case, new seals and a general cleaning of the turbines while it's apart may be all you'll need. Have you noticed any increased turbo noise. If not, the turbo bearings are probably not damaged, yet. You could probably get a rebuilt core (the innards) swapped in for a sensible price. That would be virtually the same as a new turbo (seals, bearings, cleaned). The simplest thing may just be to swap out your turbo for one from Mickey or one of the other guys here.

I really doubt the problem is valve stem seals at your mileage. Turbo seals can go prematurely with repeated shutting down of a hot turbo after a workout or long highway run - any scenario, really, that works the turbo a bit - without letting the engine idle for a few minutes to cool the oil and turbo (maybe a previous owners use). People used to use turbo timers that would leave the engine idling for a few minutes after turning off the ignition, locking the car and walking away.

I went through the turbo seals thing with my old Quattro Turbo Coupe.

Hope this helps,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2019, 17:56   #5
Rev Jules
Rev Jules

Rover 75 Tourer+

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Hi Jules. I can tell you that if a turbo blows, you will know about it. If the smoke is blue. It can only be oil.I would have a look at the pipe that carries the compressed air from the turbo. If it is oily then the turbo seal is giving up the ghost.if the turbo does ‘go’ you will not see anything behind you only thick smoke. I have had one go on a lorry I was driving in brum and believe me, it is worse than a pea soup fog.Does the engine use any oil? Does the smoke appear worse after standing overnight? If so it could be valvestem seals, but as Brian says, it is unlikely.
Yes it does but as I have said clears after a while once I have run the engine for a bit, just concerned I shall be taking it down to the National this weekend.

Rev
Old 18th March 2019, 18:02   #6
Rev Jules
Rev Jules

Rover 75 Tourer+

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovcan View Post
I'm afraid it's not quite that definitive, Rev. If the turbo seals start to leak you will get the blue smoke on startup - same situation as worn valve stem seals on a NA engine. With the engine off for a while the oil that is naturally there in normal operation leaks past the worn seals into the turbo to be ingested into the engine when it is started (or in the NA engine, leaks past the valve stem seals directly into the combustion chamber). Once that residual oil is burned off, no more smoke until the next time it sits for a while and is restarted. This condition doesn't affect boost or performance.

In your case, new seals and a general cleaning of the turbines while it's apart may be all you'll need. Have you noticed any increased turbo noise. If not, the turbo bearings are probably not damaged, yet. You could probably get a rebuilt core (the innards) swapped in for a sensible price. That would be virtually the same as a new turbo (seals, bearings, cleaned). The simplest thing may just be to swap out your turbo for one from Mickey or one of the other guys here.

I really doubt the problem is valve stem seals at your mileage. Turbo seals can go prematurely with repeated shutting down of a hot turbo after a workout or long highway run - any scenario, really, that works the turbo a bit - without letting the engine idle for a few minutes to cool the oil and turbo (maybe a previous owners use). People used to use turbo timers that would leave the engine idling for a few minutes after turning off the ignition, locking the car and walking away.

I went through the turbo seals thing with my old Quattro Turbo Coupe.

Hope this helps,
Glenn
Many thanks Glenn, your prognosis sounds about right, I am not too good at stripping engines down, getting the Turbo out for a stripdown is not within my remit.
Was really hoping someone on here could show and help.

Many Thanks.

Julien.
Old 18th March 2019, 21:24   #7
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

There are always used 75 diesel turbochargers available on eBay for very little money. I depends on your repair budget, but new turbos are expensive and replacement cartridges are a little less so.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2019, 21:51   #8
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hi Julien. Have a look on the GAP TURBO’s site. They are based in Birmingham, and I know people who have used them and they seem to have a good reputation. If you want to go on their website, they have a lot of info on what it could be. I have had a look and it is quite extensive. Their phone number is:-0121 458 4376.

Last edited by bl52krz; 18th March 2019 at 22:22..
bl52krz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2019, 08:48   #9
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

If it was me I'd fit a good second hand one - they are usually pretty bulletproof and not expensive.

I'm sure Mickyboy on here can help you if you PM him.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2019, 09:50   #10
Rev Jules
Rev Jules

Rover 75 Tourer+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
If it was me I'd fit a good second hand one - they are usually pretty bulletproof and not expensive.

I'm sure Mickyboy on here can help you if you PM him.
Cheers Mike.

Where does he come from.

Rev