Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th October 2017, 12:53   #1
JMW
Avid contributor

MG ZTT CDTi MK2

Default ZTT Suspension Options for a softer ride

Apologies if this has already been covered but I was wondering what the options were for improving the softness and ride comfort.

My ZTT has the sports option and can be rather harsh, this could be part to do with age and also spec, my question is this;

Can I direct swap for the Rover 75 springs and dampers? or will there be other jobs to do at the same time
Would this improve ride comfort or are the 18 inch wheels a problem also?
Is this even a good idea?

I do like my 18 inch alloys so don't want to change the wheel size / tyre combo.

Many thanks

Jon

Currently driving MG ZT-T CDTi Mk 2 2004 in Lagoon and Rover 75 2003.
JMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2017, 14:28   #2
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

i think it is doable if you swap the springs and dampers all round, but standard 75 springs would make the ride too soft for a ZT in my opinion and it would sit higher than it does at the moment too.

However, i think the 75 contemporary had springs that was a midway point between the 75 softness and the zt harshness, so that may be worth a try. I think that is the case anyway, but I'm sure someone who has a contemporary model will correct me if i'm wrong

oh and nice to see another local member on here, with a monogram as well. I'm not too far from you up the a13 but never seen your lagoon around here even when I do venture into Romford
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2017, 15:39   #3
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

The mk1 ZTs all came with "sports" suspension, facelifts could be purchased with the option of a more forgiving set up but no idea about actual spring rates etc. What size tyres are you running? I had a ZT with 40s on it when I bought it and the ride was really hard, my 260 has 45s and its a little better.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2017, 19:11   #4
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
The mk1 ZTs all came with "sports" suspension, facelifts could be purchased with the option of a more forgiving set up but no idea about actual spring rates etc.
Only early ZTs had the 'sports' suspension. It was replaced by a softer set up in 2002 cars following critical customer feedback. A sports suspension option was then made available, equivalent to the previous standard set up, which was taken forward to the facelift cars.

To make your ZTT ride a bit better I'd be tempted to leave the suspension well alone and downsize the wheels to 17"s with higher profile tyres.
Old 20th October 2017, 19:14   #5
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
However, i think the 75 contemporary had springs that was a midway point between the 75 softness and the zt harshness, so that may be worth a try.
The Contemporary set up is the same as other 75s but there was a sports suspension option available (not sure if this is the ZT set up or a halfway house as you suggest).
Old 20th October 2017, 19:29   #6
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRich View Post
Only early ZTs had the 'sports' suspension. It was replaced by a softer set up in 2002 cars following critical customer feedback. A sports suspension option was then made available, equivalent to the previous standard set up, which was taken forward to the facelift cars.

To make your ZTT ride a bit better I'd be tempted to leave the suspension well alone and downsize the wheels to 17"s with higher profile tyres.
This is correct - the very early cars (ZT & ZTT) we VERY firm, to the point that I would be cringing when going out on test drives, as you just knew it was too hard for 95% of customers, unless they were purchasing as a track day car !

MG suspension was subsequently softened a little, but not to the point of the 75 ride smoothness, whilst the original was still offered as the 'Sports' option.

It may be worth looking into what is fitted to your car (notes under back seat on N/S) or checking the colour coding on the springs (probably more accurate) to see whether you might be able to go from Sports to regular ? This will keep the ride height correct and give you a more supple drive
Old 20th October 2017, 19:48   #7
JMW
Avid contributor

MG ZTT CDTi MK2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
i think it is doable if you swap the springs and dampers all round, but standard 75 springs would make the ride too soft for a ZT in my opinion and it would sit higher than it does at the moment too.

However, i think the 75 contemporary had springs that was a midway point between the 75 softness and the zt harshness, so that may be worth a try. I think that is the case anyway, but I'm sure someone who has a contemporary model will correct me if i'm wrong

oh and nice to see another local member on here, with a monogram as well. I'm not too far from you up the a13 but never seen your lagoon around here even when I do venture into Romford

Thanks for the info, the ZTT has only been here for a month following a move from Oxfordshire. Ill do some more research into the Connie suspension.

Old 20th October 2017, 20:32   #8
JMW
Avid contributor

MG ZTT CDTi MK2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic ZS View Post
This is correct - the very early cars (ZT & ZTT) we VERY firm, to the point that I would be cringing when going out on test drives, as you just knew it was too hard for 95% of customers, unless they were purchasing as a track day car !

MG suspension was subsequently softened a little, but not to the point of the 75 ride smoothness, whilst the original was still offered as the 'Sports' option.

It may be worth looking into what is fitted to your car (notes under back seat on N/S) or checking the colour coding on the springs (probably more accurate) to see whether you might be able to go from Sports to regular ? This will keep the ride height correct and give you a more supple drive
Ill have a look and find out what the markings say and come back to the thread, as the car is 13 years old Im not sure if the hard ride is as it should be or if anything needs replacing.