Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th April 2018, 20:09   #1
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool Banana is off on yet another mini tour..................

.................................................. .. Tomorrow. Yet another split trip with Banana going down to Devon and Redfive returning. Redfive has had work done whilst on 'holiday'. She has had a service, the smokin' problem and the sticking brakes sorted out. All worked carried out by Matt.

We will be staying with Matt n Shirley again. I'll be popping along to the estate agents in Saltash plus popping in to see Allen n Val. Sunday sees us venturing North and into a foreign land called Wales. There is a breakfast meet which we are attending. Banana will be going along with Matt n Shirley in Grovey.
Now this trip for me is going to be very special as I'm hoping to meet my life long friend Mick. We grew up together in Barkingside and shared our interests whether it was photographing, motor racing, days out, the occasional beer and at one stage we both were employed by the same establishment.

Mick pulled up his roots and moved last December, along with his sister, and moved to a village near Neath South Wales. We've kept in touch by phone, and bless him he wanted me to go and stay with him after my health scare a few months back. But his house was in bits being re-built around him and his sister.
Doubt very much I could have dealt with that.

But seeing him will be a very emotional meeting, but I expect I'll cope ok. I might even have time to go and see his house and meet his sister again.

Other than those few things not much else is planned.
Banana has been filled up with Banana juice, oil and water checked, screen wash topped up and tyres checked.

Usual route is planned, however this may change according to the traffic reports.
M11-Car Park-M4-M5-A380. So should you see something Bright Yellow moving at warp factor 3 aka 69.9mph don't forget to wave, toot or flash, preferably your headlights.

I'll keep the diary going as we seem to have a very large following of readers. Seems we brighten up people's lives.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2018, 06:24   #2
P3AHE
Regular poster

MG ZT 1.8 Turbo & MG TF

Default God' own.

It will be good to see you & Matt in God's own country on Sunday morning. Just need a few more 75/ZT's to attend.
P3AHE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2018, 06:36   #3
keithst24
This is my second home

X Power Grey MGZT 180+ Auto... Bumble & 1.8T Odessey Rover 75 Contemporary SE manual

Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,403 Posts

Enjoy Bob.............and say Hi to the Boys for me
Born Monday, 16th June 2003 @ 14:30:35
This vehicle was the 9,196th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
This vehicle was the 576th ZT 180 + to be made out of 828
This vehicle was the 871st ZT in XPower Grey (code: LEF) to be made out of 3,143 XPower Grey ZTs
keithst24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2018, 07:49   #4
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

I think the reason why you have a following Bob, is your style of writing, which is not jargon and not pompous. People can identify with you the good and the bad, the day to day stuff, imagining everything, the realities. They might not say anything or know what to say, but what you bring to the table with your funny humour and those jokes, I am sure cheers up some of the miseries Do keep us posted
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2018, 17:03   #5
Nev The Bear
This is my second home

Does not matter

Thanked 1,575 Times in 987 Posts

Have a good time Bob, look forward to reading about your latest mini tour and good luck with your house hunting.
Nev The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2018, 18:03   #6
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Well the rain is warmer down here..........................

........................................... In Sun(spot) Devon.

Out of bed early and everything was going well till I made my toast. Forgot to turn the bread over to do the other side. Still it was the healthy option I went for. With everything washed up and put away. It was time to load Banana up. Suitcase in this time with more shirts than I took last time. Camera gear loaded in, laptop and iPads and chargers loaded. Time to go at 7am.

Banana was started and left to warm up before leaving. Gave me a chance just to wipe the windows, and let the valves warm up in the music box thingy. Dash cam was fired up. And we was off. The traffic was unusually heavy on the A406, I was about to find out why. Up and around the donut at the Waterworks Corner and back down the other side and onto the M11. The sun was shining and starting to warm up.
Matrix signs lit up about a 45 minute delay between junction 28-25 on the car park anti-clock.

I joined at junction 27 and straight into the standing still traffic. I've learnt the hard way, now I stay in the inside lane with the big wheelers and trickle along ok. The traffic hold up announcement was now on the music box thingy telling people what it was all about. Accident and two lanes were blocked. Time I got through the Holmes tunnel and past junction 25 the accident was gone and all the lanes were open. From there to the M4 it was variable speed limits all the way. Weather was mixed but no real rain.

Dropped down onto the M4 and straight into another jam, this is going to be fun, more variable speed limits. Still at least the traffic was moving so that was the best thing. Usually on this trip I have Radio 2 on the music box but the signal fades at various places which can be annoying. So I had downloaded some music from my hard player indoors to a USB stick and plugged it in ready for when the radio signal faded. Yes you guessed right, the radio signal never faded all the way to Devon.

The rain hit us hard as we went past Reading, lights and wipers on but the lights on the climate control went out, everything worked ok just no lights. I'll tell Matt, he might have a spare bulb or lots.
The amount of cars that do not put there main lights on is quite frightening, just relying on there DRL's is ok but that's just only at the front. Still we kept our distance and kept out of trouble. Then someone upstairs flicked a switch and the sunshine was back.

The only trouble I hit was at the split onto the M5, a lorry was in the middle lane with his hazards on and in front of him was a Volvo car with the driver looking terrified, no idea what had happened but I guess the lorry was just covering so that no one else ran into the back of the car. As I went past the lorry driver was out of his cab and on his phone. All the variable speed limits switched to 30mph and the lane blocked sign came on. Just hope everything was ok with the lady driver.

M5 was clean and green all the way down to my usual watering hole at Sedgemoor services, although the rain did make a few appearances. Pulled into the services behind a very nice White MG3. As per norm I parked well away from anyone. Into the services for a wee, then a nice cuppa of tea and a large cake. Had to get a small mortgage out to pay. Thought I had paid for everyone's food. Wow!
Back towards Banana who was now surrounded by admirers, or better known as badly parked cars. Soon out and back onto the main drag and back up to Warp Factor 3 aka 69.9mph.. Then another MG3 whizzed by followed by a 2nd and third one. That was a total of four seen so far.

Soon past Exeter services and peeling off, you can do that legally in a Banana, and onto the A380 and up Telegraph Hill with Banana pulling like a demented steam engine in full flight. Over the brow at Warp Factor 3 and a bit. Trying to outrun the rain but the pesky so so knew a shortcut and got us again as we zoomed past Kingsteinton. Pulled off a bit earlier than normal and to the go go juice station that Matt told me about. Just needed to top up the tank, that's a job down in case I take Banana tomorrow to Cornwall.

Soon turning into the Grove and parking behind Redfive. Looking very clean in the sunshine. Looking forward to driving her again at some point over the next few days, and of course on the drive home. There was another 75 in Copperleaf parked outside along with Grovey. In the drive was another 75 Tourer in White Gold. Fate unknown at this point as it will need looking at as it has a few faults but runs ever so sweet. But more on that later.
Soon indoors to meet the owners of the Copperleaf 75, Dougie and Kellie. Kettle on for a cuppa and a chat.
My mobile rang and it was the estate agents down in Looe Cornwall telling me about a bungalow that was For Sale. So arrangements were made for me to go and view tomorrow.

Dougie and Kellie left and as they went so another couple of friends of Matt n Shirley turned up in a huge pick up. Had 22 inch wheels on. Looked nice. Tea! Oh! Go on then, not had one since the last one. After another lengthy chat they left and it was dinner time. Boiled Bacon, potato wedgies and peas. Yummy!!!
Tea! Well only if you insist.
I contacted Allen and said if he was at a loose end tomorrow I would stop by and collect him and we could go and have a look together.
Just now and again it's nice to have someone with me to view properties not that I'm influenced by there advice on whether to buy or not. At the end of the day it's my decision on what I want.

38.7 mpg was the fuel used so far. And Banana is gradually approaching the 200k mark. Not bad for a little ole 'K' series.

Many thanks for the kind words.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 26th April 2018 at 18:08.. Reason: Spellin'
Old 27th April 2018, 18:07   #7
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool What a stunning bungalow......................

.................................................. . In Looe Cornwall.

The heavy rain woke me up at about 5am this morning. And I just could not get back to sleep, so I started putting together a list of questions for a quiz night next Tuesday, I 've been asked to host the quiz. All good honest question with multiple answers. Soon it was 7am so I decided to it was time to lower myself to the floor. Shirley bless her has put another double mattress on the bed I use. Thought last night I was going to have to ask Sir Edmund Hilary to show me how to scale the side of the bed to get to sleep.

Found Matt sitting downstairs, so I made the tea for both of us. Shirley was not long before she joined us. She gave me some cereals to keep me quiet. It was still persisting down outside. Soon it was time for me to head off towards Saltash to collect Allen before going to view the bungalow in Looe.
Travelling through Newton Abbot I came across 2 Rover 75 Tourers with no lights on, you could hardly see where you was going. Letting the side down there chaps.

Soon onto the A38 and into the horrendous conditions. Dropped back with speed, Banana is very sure footed on her Continental M3's but I was not going to take any chances. Lots of vehicles still travelling with only there DRL's on. A Vauxhall Astra went past me at Warp Factor 5. How on earth they could see where they was going at that speed. Then I saw the brake lights coming on and the Astra was weaving whilst trying to stop ramming a big wheeler that had pulled out to overtake a tractor.
Will they never learn, I've seen the horribl results of these stupid actions.

As I got nearer to Cornwall so the rain started to ease and as I crossed the Tamar so the sun came out. I was soon along the High Street and turning into Allen n Val's turning. Hello! What's this? A Honda Jazz parked outside the garage. It's Val's new car, a 7 speed auto. Nice looking motor. I parked Banana nose onto Ratty, so they could have a catch up chat.
Tea! Oh go on then, Val. We was soon chatting. Then it was time to make a move towards Looe. Val was coming with us just for a ride out. Fine by me.

I put the Satnav on, but with Al's guidence into Looe, it would only be needed to actually find the bungalow. Over the bridge and the Satnav said turn left. I should have listened to Al who said to follow the road round, oh no not me. Well I got stuck when a lorry appeared. With nowhere to go I had no choice but to reverse up. Once the lorry was clear I then missed the turn off. Nothing to do but go up this very steep hill with Banana just about making it in 2nd gear. Turned round and came back down hoping I was not going to meet anything coming up.

We soon found where the bungalow was. Wow! What a stunning view over towards the sea and turning to my left I could see right over the valley towards Dartmoor. Pity it was not a totally clear but still stunning.
The estate agent, Lorna, was waiting for us. She had the keys and let us in warning us that there was two dogs waiting in the kitchen. The bungalow is still inhabited by a family.

Well! The entrance was straight into the open plan lounge/breakfast rom and kitchen. Amazing place, but not for me. Only been built 12 months, the garage would struggle to hold a Smart car. Perched on a corner and the road at the back was higher than the property. I could see a car coming through the flimsy wooden fence and landing on the roof.
But still very nice, lovely lawn going along the back and around the side. Nicely decorated, well being only 12 months old so it should be.

We parted with Lorna, she drove off and we sat and chatted about the place. We soon drove off and parked up in the car park next to the harbour. Only a £1 an hour to park, better than the hospital in Croydon last week at £4.80 per hour.
We had a wander towards the sea in lovely warm sunshine till we turned a corner, where the wind took us off of our feet. The waves were breaking over the quay. Allen and I took some photo's before we turned back to join Val in search of a cuppa. Found a nice cafe. We all had tea, Val and I had a buttered scone and Allen had a pasty.

We sat and chatted about various things, outside the sun had gone in and the wet stuff was back. We ventured out and back to the car park. We pulled out and headed back to Saltash but this time we went the scenic way. I love this part of the world. Allen pointed out the house he has always liked. Beautiful views over the river.
Soon back on the main drag and back into Saltash in the sun. I stayed long enough to say my goodbye's as I needed to get back to Torquay as we are going out for a meal tonight with some more friends.

To be continued.

onen hag oll
Old 27th April 2018, 22:04   #8
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Sorry about the break in transmission..............................

.................................................. ...... The weather back towards Torquay was bright sunny for about 10 miles then the rain returned but not so bad this time. Soon turning off towards Newton Abbot, naturally I found the traffic, and slowly we trundled through the town. Banana's fan kept cutting in but she still did not complain. Onto the new part of the A380 and we was soon turning into the Grove. Plenty of space for Banana to park in front of Grovey.

Indoors just in time for a nice cup of........................... what's these boxes in the front room. It appears that they are part of the new galvanised shed that Matt has bought. Looks like I'm building a shed over the next few days. Built two at home so no doubt this one will be a doddle to build.
Just got my tea when the next lorry pulled up, this one was delivering a new sofa. Front room looks ever so small now.

Just had enough time to throw a comb through my locks and give my pegs a quick scrub. Matt offered to drive so that gave me a rest, did feel tired. And with Shirley we set off to meet up with Nathan, Emma, John and Nina. And we 3 MG's convoyed to the restaurant in Exeter for a nice carvery.
Whilst we ate our food we chatted about the old cars we had owned and the way we had to improvise when things like the wipers stopped working. Matt having to tie his boot laces together and tie one end to the wipers. Pulled the laces one way then let go and the weight of the wipers would flick back to clear the screen.

Oh how we laughed, at one point I was unable to breathe and with tears of laughter rolling down my cheeks I listened to the antics as the various stories were told. Dessert time and we all had ice cream but no chocolate sauce, well not after what I was told. Best not go there as this is a family show. Once the bill was paid then we all ventured out into the cold night air. Mmm!!! Could be a frost tonite!!!!

Soon back home and in the warm. Another long day tomorrow. Banana needs some TLC, there is a shed to be built. Stuff to be sorted out.

So I'll see thee all on the 'morrow

onen hag oll
Old 28th April 2018, 17:51   #9
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Shattered...............................

............................................ From a very busy day at Darke Towers.

Really slept well last night, managed 6 hours solid. Felt really refreshed this morning. The weather looked a bit grey, might not be building the shed today. So after a spot of brekkie it was all systems go, well Shirley was off to see her Mum then onto her Aunt's.

Our friend John came round with his van to collect Matt's old leather chair, nothing wrong with it but now surplus to requirements as the new two seater has arrived. Tea! Oh! Go on then! Had a chat then I helped getting the chair into the van. Best help I could give was to stay out of the way.

Next job was for me to start on Banana to give her a wash and polish ready for tomorrow. Shirley came back and I said I would give her half-a-car, she has a Pink Smart car, a wash. In return Shirley made lunch. Once Banana was washed and lunch was eaten I set about the Smart car. Gave it a quick polish as well. Then Banana got a quick polish as well. Matt was making sure that Redfive's smokin' problem was cured. Gone, no more smoke. Cleaner in the tank has helped along with the filters changed. Redfive will get a good run on Monday when we return to Cornwall.

Then it was Redfive's turn for a wash. Whilst I got on with that Matt went in to make sure Shirley was OK as she had been feeling a bit under the weather. Matt sent her to bed with a couple of Chippendales, sorry paracetamol's.
Then Matt returned with the tea. By now I had finished Redfive and I was hosing down Grovey ready for her wash. The shampoo we use is Meguairs Soft Wash. I rate it, but that's my personal opinion. Matt started with the suds whilst I took a few photo's. Then I hosed and towelled Grovey.

We both put everything away and retired for a cuppa. Then I dragged myself up to the shower as I ached. Matt started getting dinner ready and Shirley was sawing wood, my polite way to explain snoring.
Once I was out of the shower and dried, plus clean clothes on downstairs I went. Matt asked to prepare the steak ready for dinner. I got the mixed pepper ready and sprinkled some onto the first price of steak and give it a beating with the tenderiser.

Next time I must remember to take the plastic off of the steak, one day you may reach the age I'm currently at then you will understand. Matt promised me he would not tell anyone especially on this forum. But I though I best confess.
Shirley came downstairs and said she felt a lot better. The dogs made a fuss of her, well started licking her face.

We now have 3 cars travelling up to the Welsh meet tomorrow, Tania & Mark, (Daisy-Dawlish on this forum) are joining us in there Ski Blue 75 Tourer.
My mate Mick phoned earlier today to confirm that he will definitely be joining us tomorrow at the breakfast meet. Daft I know, but I'm really excited to be seeing him.
Early start tomorrow as the meet is roughly 150 miles from here, which means Banana will hit the 199k mark tomorrow.

Many thanks for all the "thanks".

onen hag oll
Old 29th April 2018, 20:16   #10
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Even legends have bad days.......................

....................................... That will teach me, checking to make sure I had the right change.

The alarm clock went off at 5am. Up and ready to rock n roll to Wales via Newton Abbey to collect the third car in our convoy. Then we was off with Grovey leading then Bluebell and Banana following on. Very uneventful trip up as far as Sedgemoor services on the M5, it was an unscheduled stop as the loo was required by the ladies in the group.

When we left Banana had the privilege to lead with Grovey 2nd and Bluebell following on.
Now this is the first time ever that Banana has been to Wales, I know I've been everywhere else but never with the Yellow one over the Severn.
Now it's a toll bridge and I had my £5.60 all ready in my hand, but I thought I had dropped a coin. So as I approached the tolls I looked down to see how much I was short. Looked up and I was in the wrong toll. Bluebell and Grovey were in the right ones but not me.

I gingerly reversed out and crossed over to the right toll, and I had not dropped any dosh. The others were through and we're waiting for me. The toll booth operator just smiled and said, " You are not the first and you won't be the last. Nice colour by the way."
I caught the others up and re-took the lead. My Satnav was doing well in guiding us towards the country park, well it was until it dumped us in the town of Aberdare. Well, in the middle of a housing estate to be precise.
After conferring with my colleagues. A new leader was elected.

So Mark and Tania lead in BlueBell, then Grovey and finally me. We was on our 2nd lap of the one way system before we spotted the sign for the country park, well still missed it. So on our third trip around the town we finally turned off. I now had a MK 2 FORD Escort Rally car following me. Into the park with a further 20 cars following us, goodness knows where they all appeared from.
Followed the signs to the car park. As we turned in I saw my mate Mick's car, a Vauxhall Mokka. I flashed my lights and he waved back.

John, Jackatsme, waved us over to a decent parking spot, we saw BigBen as we passed him. We parked up with John. A V8 tourer moved from one space to join us, BigBen moved over and another ZT drove in and joined us as well. Sorry not very good with names but you know who you are. Mick and his nephew had wandered over whilst I was parking.
I cannot put into words how wonderful it was to see him. We greeted one and other. Trouble was others were also coming to say hello to me, that's the trouble when you get to be famous. (Blowing my own trumpet again).

I introduced Mick to Matt n Shirley plus a few of the others. It's the first time too for me to meet Mick's nephew Caz. Caz 's mum is my god daughter. But I forget the last time I even saw her.
I put Banana's banner on plus her wing covers, got three of her cushions out. Bertie Banana was sitting in the front with Strawberry Bear sitting at the back waving her Union Jack. Photo's taken.

Time to retreat to the cafe for breakfast. Boy was the service slow, nor was the food very hot. But it filled a hole. We chatted with Mick who told us about the problems with the house. They still not have moved in, been in Wales since last December.
With the food gone we went back outside to have a look at the cars including Mick's new Mokka. A lot of car for the £16k he paid for it. We chatted like the good mates that we are.
Back to Banana and I put her banner and wing covers away as it had started to rain.

There was a tour planned by the organiser, Andy Edwards, going over the Brecon Beacons plus a couple of other places. We was going to be in for a shock of where we was going. Mick disappeared towards the loo. So I never got to say goodbye before we had to leave. I spoke to his nephew and explained. I said I would phone later on.

To be continued as the beer has arrived.....................

onen hag oll