Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th April 2018, 15:50   #1
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default KV6 timing belts: is the tensioner the problem?

I now have a Gates timing belt kit K015527XS and so I am able to compare a new primary belt with that which has covered 90,000 miles.

Here is a general view of both. The old belt, shiny in appearance is at the top.

Then, using vernier calipers I measured the thickness of the backing and here are the results. First the original factory fitted belt:

And the brand new Gates replacement:

As can be seen, the readings are identical. So although, in theory, some wear must have taken place over 90,000 miles and 19 years, it is so small as to be insignificant.

I then measured the depth of the teeth from peak to trough. Again, in both cases the reading was 3.6 mm.

I am surprised I must admit. I expected a few tenths of a millimetre difference.

By far the most important finding was that the bearing of my tensioner pulley was running extremely roughly. It felt and sounded as if it had been kicked around on the beach; the friction was easily detectable. The Gates replacement is beautifully smooth. This has led me to consider a possible explanation for the very few KV6s which experience unexplained timing belt failure within the 90,000 mile/6 year period.

It seems to me that it's not the belt that is the weak point but the tensioner pulley. If the operating friction reaches a critical point I would suggest that the risk of the belt being thrown off it becomes very real. Should this happen, the driver would be under the impression that the belt had suddenly broken without warning. Of course it had, but the guilty party is not the belt but the tensioner pulley.

In any case, judging by the condition of my tensioner pulley, MG Rover should have specified the precautionary replacement of this part (it does not appear in RAVE or anywhere on the service schedule, not even at 90,000 miles) because the evidence shows that this is the weak link in the chain, if you'll excuse the pun. Since RAVE states that a timing belt removed for any reason at or after 45,000 miles service, should not be refitted, that would have been a reasonable mileage to specify renewal of both the tensioner pulley and the timing belt.

But the marketing department would not have liked it.

Even tempered comments are welcome but please don't resurrect arguments from the closed thread because that is contrary to club rules.

Simon
Old 25th April 2018, 15:59   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Could you get a vernier with better resolution and re measure please Simon

Also even with the naked eye, and there is no parallax error, it appears the upper belt tooth pitch is elongated.

Anyway, now that you have the parts, are you now going to put this back together? as this has to be the longest KV6 belt change in history

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2018, 16:45   #3
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Yes, that vernier is pathetic!
But even if you have a better vernier, there will not be much difference.
Old 25th April 2018, 16:46   #4
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
It seems to me that it's not the belt that is the weak point but the tensioner pulley. If the operating friction reaches a critical point I would suggest that the risk of the belt being thrown off it becomes very real. Should this happen, the driver would be under the impression that the belt had suddenly broken without warning. Of course it had, but the guilty party is not the belt but the tensioner pulley.

Simon
My brother has always assured me that amongst folk who maintain industrial machinery this is an accepted fact , Simon . Pulleys and idlers which wobble , vibrate, come loose etc are the usual cause of belt displacement / failure if left unchecked.
Old 25th April 2018, 17:46   #5
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

I've said for a very long time that the tensioner, idlers/guide rollers and/or water pumps (when driven by the timing belt of course) are the main cause of belt failure rather than the belt itself.
Hence the importance of fitting a full timing belt kit rather than just the belt (or belts).
Personally, I won't take on a timing belt job unless I'm authorised to fit a complete kit & water pump where required.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2018, 08:31   #6
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Could you get a vernier with better resolution ... please Simon
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
But even if you have a better vernier, there will not be much difference.
It is my view that an accuracy of 0.1mm is satisfactory for this purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Pulleys and idlers which wobble , vibrate, come loose etc are the usual cause of belt displacement / failure ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh007 View Post
.. the tensioner, idlers/guide rollers and/or water pumps ... are the main cause of belt failure rather than the belt itself.
Thanks Chris and Mike. The inspection and measurements which I have carried out have convinced me of this.

Wouldn't it be interesting to take the study a stage further; to replace the components with worn bearings but running with the same belt.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 26th April 2018 at 08:36..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2018, 11:06   #7
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

A very interesting theory about the tensioners. When I had my Rover 220sd, we had the day before, come back from a Christmas break at Bournemouth I was going to a friends house around a mile away in the car when there was a loud noise and a lot of clattering from the engine compartment. Stopped, lifted bonnet, and there was the auxiliary belt ripped and tangled in the bottom of the engine compartment. Then noticed a piece of metal dangling down.Yes it was the tensioner. When I went to get the new tensioner and belt, I was asked how many miles it had done, around 70000 odd miles, I was told I was around average for the tensioner to go. Lesson:- change tensioner definitely when you change belts. I will be changing both tensioner’s when I change my auxiliary and aircon belts
Old 26th April 2018, 14:23   #8
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

I always change the tensioner etc when renewing timing belts.
I always check any auxiliary belt tensioners & guides for wear & noise before renewing them.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2018, 14:38   #9
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
It is my view that an accuracy of 0.1mm is satisfactory for this purpose.

Thanks Chris and Mike. The inspection and measurements which I have carried out have convinced me of this.

Wouldn't it be interesting to take the study a stage further; to replace the components with worn bearings but running with the same belt.

Simon
Put the original belt back on with new tensioner and jockey pulleys then Simon

Your poundshop plastic vernier measured with the jaws at an angle to suit your purposes doesn't impress me at all, in fact I suspect you may have measured the new belt, locked the slide, then transferred the vernier to the old belt, thus "demonstrating" that no wear had taken place

There is a visual to the naked eye difference in the pitch of the belt teeth in your picture, which is evidence the belt has deteriorated to the extent that there is at least a 1/4 mm variation over 16 teeth of a 176 tooth belt, but in your usual way you have selectively chosen to ignore a valid point and simply quote out of context once again to suit your point of view.

The top and bottom of the story is simple, you have been fortunate not to suffer a failure of the belt, and whether that is attributable to deterioration of the tensioner, jockey wheel, water pump etc etc is immaterial, you have not demonstrated anything, or proven anything bar your attempt to justify your skimping on maintenance.

Can I suggest you box it back up and pat yourself on the back, and congratulate yourself as to your saving of the cost of doing the job at the correct service intervals.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2018, 15:44   #10
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

I'm not quite sure that the vernier gauge used is much an issue. For the purposes of here its no doubt fine, yes I suppose one capable of measuring to 0.01mm would be better or a depth gauge and a micrometer to back the results up. However I suspect they wouldn't tell us a great deal more.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote