Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th April 2018, 20:28   #1
boink
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Default OE quality rear coil spring for 75 Tourer. To buy or not to buy.

Broken rear spring on 03 Conny 75 Tourer. Know its best to replace both but I've got money for essentials just now. Xparts sell them in pairs so that's out, so looked today at Kilens, Sachs and Monroe single springs on ebay. Mine is coded 'RG', non self levelling type but you don't get that level of detail on Ebay listings. You don't get any extra fitting parts either.

Grateful if someone who's bought these before can tell me whether or not this will do the job.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OE-Replac...wAAOSwsI9aF6oW
boink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2018, 20:36   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boink View Post
Broken rear spring on 03 Conny 75 Tourer. Know its best to replace both but I've got money for essentials just now. Xparts sell them in pairs so that's out, so looked today at Kilens, Sachs and Monroe single springs on ebay. Mine is coded 'RG', non self levelling type but you don't get that level of detail on Ebay listings. You don't get any extra fitting parts either.

Grateful if someone who's bought these before can tell me whether or not this will do the job.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OE-Replac...wAAOSwsI9aF6oW
Hmm, eurocarparts if you fancy experimenting, how about THIS

Just a thought if money is tight

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2018, 20:56   #3
boink
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks Brian,

I'd happily buy them if A: it's a fit and B: I can book in with you to fit the other one when I'm up North next. Got a Mam who lives in Walkergate I need to visit in a month or so.
Old 19th April 2018, 21:18   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Thanks Brian,

I'd happily buy them if A: it's a fit and B: I can book in with you to fit the other one when I'm up North next. Got a Mam who lives in Walkergate I need to visit in a month or so.
Hmm, Walkergate eh? that's about five miles from me

Why not just fit both?, someone else fitted these type of springs successfully to their tourer and you won't find 75 tourer springs at that sort of price new

This is how I do it, avoiding the need to remove the ARB to replace the rear springs

Simply slacken slightly the subframe bolts on the opposite side to the spring you're changing, and remove the ones on the side you're changing the spring on, along with the bottom damper mounting bolt.

The spring will be very easy to remove at this point, the lower isolator turning through 90 degrees to release the "bayonet" from the upper rear arm.

Once you done that, refit the subframe bolts to that side and remove the opposite side.

When the new springs are fitted, torque up the subframe bolts to the specified torque along with the damper lower bolts and job done

Beats frabbing about with drop links and rusted fasteners any day of the week.....20 minutes to do both rear springs

Brian
Old 19th April 2018, 22:43   #5
boink
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

I've got someone who's going to replace the broken one of me as a favour, but reckons it'll take hours...hence not keen to ask him to do two. That price is so good for two I think I'll go for and see if I can persuade him to try your technique.
Old 19th April 2018, 23:56   #6
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
I've got someone who's going to replace the broken one of me as a favour, but reckons it'll take hours...hence not keen to ask him to do two. That price is so good for two I think I'll go for and see if I can persuade him to try your technique.
Honestly Mike, that's the way to do them, if I can do two on the floor in less than half an hour, then with a two post ramp it will be child's play

The first time I did the job it did take hours, messing about with rusty old nuts and bolts, but with the above technique the job is a breeze

Brian
Old 20th April 2018, 06:51   #7
boink
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks a lot Brian.

I'll get those and show him your technique. Two at same time makes sense, even to me! I'll save my North East visit for one of the many other jobs I need doing!
Old 21st April 2018, 08:28   #8
boink
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Worth me buying 4 of the rubber cups for either end of springs? Can't find anything specifically for rover 75. Assume BMW 3 series would work?
Old 25th April 2018, 18:33   #9
boink
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Just an update to say bought the bargain springs Marinabrian recommended and my mechanic friend used his technique earlier in this thread to fit them. No problems with the rubber cups, car feels great and I'm a happy 75 driver.
Old 25th April 2018, 18:52   #10
Amsca2
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T cdti

Quote:
Just an update to say bought the bargain springs Marinabrian recommended and my mechanic friend used his technique earlier in this thread to fit them. No problems with the rubber cups, car feels great and I'm a happy 75 driver.
Well done. I had a spring break just at the cup. What a NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- it was to get the tiny bit of broken spring off the rubbers.