Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd April 2018, 23:05   #1
Mercury RV
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Speedo Over reading

Back again with another question for you all. I noticed when I collected this new car (well new to me) that the speedo is wildly inaccurate, I know it must be as I tested it against two different devices. At a true 70mph it shows around 79mph and again the same error at slower speeds, are all of the speedos the same? Is there any way of correcting this? I will be changing the standard fit 15" alloy wheels for a set of 16" Forked alloys, not that this will make that much difference I am sure. Any advice about good quality tyres for the new wheels would also be useful please, Avon, Pirelli, Hankook. I am getting old so I am looking for a good ride above all else, well and value for money, just not cheap rubbish tyres though, a bit like some tyres one of our customers purchased, Double Coin tyres, I know how they got their name, its because the coins are 50p pieces!!
Mercury RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2018, 23:38   #2
oswestryalex
Loves to post

Rover 75 1.8T connoisseur saloon 2003 in blue , MG ZT 190+ 2003

There are some great tyres that supposedly help reduce fuel consumption as well as give a better ride - Pirelli Michelin and Goodyear do them, but others may too. I used to have Avons on my old Jag years ago and was very impressed with them back then.
oswestryalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2018, 07:51   #3
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Re speedo- "They all do that sir" I checked mine against the sat nav readout and it was up around 5 mph. look on the bright side, it may save you a speeding fine
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2018, 08:01   #4
JonMs
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer

Its the same with mine. If you enable the digital speedo on the IPK this gives you a much more accurate reading (when compared to GPS data). At least it does on my car.
JonMs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2018, 08:07   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

JonMs beat me to it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury RV View Post
Is there any way of correcting this?
Most, if not all, speedometers over-read Simon by varying degrees. I believe that the reason for this is that manufacturers could be legally liable if it under-reads so they err on the side of caution.

The simplest solution is to find somebody with a T4 and ask for the digital speedo to be displayed in the message centre. This will appear as the last option as you press the button in the end of the LH stalk. The digital version will please your desire for accuracy I am sure.

Just bear in mind though that if the car is subsequently connected to a T4 and the operator isn’t made aware of what has been done, the facility could be removed.

Simon
Old 24th April 2018, 12:11   #6
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

All Speedo's read higher than usual. Id expect about 3 mph at around 30 mph and about 6 or 7 at 70 reading more out the faster you go. Digital speedo enable isn't a standard T4 operation so check with the T4 user first that they can do it

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle

Last edited by sworks; 24th April 2018 at 12:24..
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2018, 12:20   #7
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

i think the link to phil-T4's speedo activator is still here somewhere... for the sake of a £10 obdII lead you can use a laptop to change it yourself...
Old 24th April 2018, 12:24   #8
dbt01
Retired

They almost all do it. My V8 is only 3% over, and my V6's between 5% and a whopping 11% for my Tourer. All judged on standard sized tyres, Michelins for the V6's and Uniroyal for the V8. All properly inflated and compared with the GPS figures over a range of speeds. Legally it can be 10% + 6 kph 'optimistic' in the EU I understand, never pessimistic.
dbt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2018, 00:36   #9
Mercury RV
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks chaps, it is just that I have never had one that is THAT over optomistic, unfortunatley I do not have the message centre on mine I do not think as it is a Connissuer not the C SE model, poverty perhaps, but it is a BX reg and first registered in good old Longbridge/Birmingham, so perhaps sold as a demo or something as it was made in or around July 2002 but not registered until mid 2003, or did they just not sell that well then. Heres hoping changing the wheels for a refurb'ed set of Forked Spoke with Diamond Cut spokes and rim edge and Gunmetal Grey Metallic insets with the 16" tyres will assist? I am looking at Toyo 215/60 x 16 tyres as I want a smooth ride and silent not sporting, am I wrong? any suggestions as always welcome to a newcomer please. Great forum by the way, everyone seems sensible unlike the ones for my own industry, American Motorhomes where they seem to enjoy being back stabbers and just insult people, well done all!!

Last edited by Mercury RV; 26th April 2018 at 00:38.. Reason: Speeling error
Mercury RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2018, 21:50   #10
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury RV View Post
Thanks chaps, it is just that I have never had one that is THAT over optomistic, unfortunatley I do not have the message centre on mine I do not think as it is a Connissuer not the C SE model, poverty perhaps, but it is a BX reg and first registered in good old Longbridge/Birmingham, so perhaps sold as a demo or something as it was made in or around July 2002 but not registered until mid 2003, or did they just not sell that well then. Heres hoping changing the wheels for a refurb'ed set of Forked Spoke with Diamond Cut spokes and rim edge and Gunmetal Grey Metallic insets with the 16" tyres will assist? I am looking at Toyo 215/60 x 16 tyres as I want a smooth ride and silent not sporting, am I wrong? any suggestions as always welcome to a newcomer please. Great forum by the way, everyone seems sensible unlike the ones for my own industry, American Motorhomes where they seem to enjoy being back stabbers and just insult people, well done all!!
What size tires are on it now? Your choice of 215/60x16 are ~26.2" diameter. If your current tires are 195/60x15, then they are a full 2" smaller diameter at 24.2". That translates into 66 more revolutions per mile for the smaller tire and that will make a big difference to speedometer accuracy. You may find your speedometer is right on with your new tires. Even if the current tires are 195/65x15, they are still ~1.2" smaller diameter and do 39 revolutions per mile more than the new ones will.

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote