Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th April 2018, 02:11   #1
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Default Belt mileage in Australia

Just read through an Australian Rover 75 brouchure and read the belts only need changing at 150,000km !!
Seems everyone here reckons 100,000km is the correct time!!
Further stated that the car will only require 6 hours of servicing in its first 4 years !!!
Interesting stuff
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2018, 03:01   #2
ozrover
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

My 2004 model at 84,000kms had to finally have the entire timing belt + water pump change, because the water pump started to leak.

150,000.. hmm, could water pump really last for that long? I don't doubt the belts because the original belts on my 2004 seem very decent according to the mechanic.

Unfortunately the water pump I ordered through DMGRS doesn't fit and have had to source one locally.

Speaking of that, Genpk, Do you have any experience with the local water pump brands? Protex, Tru-flow, etc? Too many horror stories surrounding water pump failures.. would hate to pay another $1300 to re-do the entire job a year later.
ozrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2018, 06:58   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Are you both talking about ancillary or timing belts?

Simon
Old 25th April 2018, 10:39   #4
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrover View Post
My 2004 model at 84,000kms had to finally have the entire timing belt + water pump change, because the water pump started to leak.

150,000.. hmm, could water pump really last for that long? I don't doubt the belts because the original belts on my 2004 seem very decent according to the mechanic.

Unfortunately the water pump I ordered through DMGRS doesn't fit and have had to source one locally.

Speaking of that, Genpk, Do you have any experience with the local water pump brands? Protex, Tru-flow, etc? Too many horror stories surrounding water pump failures.. would hate to pay another $1300 to re-do the entire job a year later.
Dont get me started on water pumps.Normally i buy the pump and get the mechanic to fit it.Last time wash short on time so let them order their part and fit it- thank god for that!!
First pump started leaking around the seal after 4 months,under their warranty they fitted another,it lasted about 6 months, seal again , their cost again, in the end finally got a decent one, been in the car about 3 years now and all still good.
That was all Tru line.
One of my other 75s i put a Continental pump in and thats still going strong some 4 years on.Made in the Eu i think .
Serms these days its luck of the draw.

Re the belts, it didnt actaully specify which, “belts”
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2018, 12:23   #5
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
Re the belts, it didnt actually specify which, “belts”
OK thanks Peter. To respond to your original question then, in the UK market initially the ancillary drive belts were replaced at 60,000 miles/4 years. Later versions of the service schedule specified a check every 15,000 miles/1 year.

As far as timing belts are concerned it's always been 90,000 miles (to you 150,000 km)/6 years, so the 100,000 km interval you've heard in Oz seems to be the result of discussion over too many glasses of Foster's or confusion with the ancillary belt schedule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrover View Post
150,000.. hmm, could water pump really last for that long?
Yes Issac. Mine just has.
Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
First pump started leaking around the seal after 4 months,under their warranty they fitted another,it lasted about 6 months, seal again , their cost again, in the end finally got a decent one ..
Lovel has discovered that a bolt involved in water pump replacement passes through a waterway and has to have thread sealant applied. I wonder if any garages know this and consequently misdiagnose a seal failure. It does seem significant that trouble starts after precautionary replacement of the factory-fitted pump.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 26th April 2018 at 08:45.. Reason: Correction to ancillary belt information
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2018, 13:31   #6
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

My pump had started? to fail at 70,000 miles, as far as I know it was the original, but a bit of a but- the mechanic who is well regarded and did the job had not heard of the fault mentioned by Simon ie boltscrew thread/s which have been tapped too far and consequently open into the waterways and need to be sealed. I cant find the article on the web now but its there somewhere. As for belts I consider 4years/80,000miles the limit, but then I thing engine oil 6000mile tops. Chris S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2018, 13:56   #7
egremont
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE. Auto. Saloon. SE

Sorry Simon, I don’t touch Fosters.
On a serious note, the former dealership in Melbourne always stated 145,ooo kms (equivalent to 90,ooo miles) or six years, whichever occurs sooner.
The Continental water pumps have not given any problems in my cor - source them from the UK.
Interestingly, whilst the former dealership was still servicing our cars, an elderly gent complained that his then 10 year old car had broken its timing belt. The belt had never been changed since new. There had been two instances where the timing belts in a European brand had let go - both within 40,000 kms.
My suggestion, stay with the manufacturers recommendations.
egremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2018, 15:07   #8
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by egremont View Post
Sorry Simon, I don’t touch Fosters.
Neither do I Bruce.

Simon
Old 25th April 2018, 18:47   #9
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
OK thanks Peter. To respond to your original question then, in the UK market initially the ancillary drive belts were only checked when the vehicle was subject to arduous driving conditions. Later versions of the service schedule specified a check every 15,000 miles/1 year. Renewal seemed to be at the discretion of the garage.

Simon
Earlier service schedules had the ancillary belts down for replacing every 90k miles or 6 years Simon - part of the C service.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2018, 08:40   #10
SD1too

I beg your pardon Mike, you are absolutely right. Thanks for pointing that out.

Simon