Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th April 2018, 17:11   #1
hst125
Loves to post

2004 ZTT CDTi manual, 2017 Fiat 500L MPW, 1946 MG TC

Post New car, CDTi saloon 2005 Cont SE

Had the new 75 two days now and shakedown continues...
Bad points - caveat emptor as they say on eBay....
Sounded good on eBay, deal done, sounded better on the phone. Went to collect and yes the photos don’t show it as it is! Pulled out of the drive and scrapes galore underneath, mudflaps and undertray. A few clunks from drop links despite having many new suspension parts. Offside mirror been hit so glass wobbles, wipers have rigor mortis, boot interior scruffy, odd mats inside, wheels desperately need a lick of paint. Rear mudflap awol.
However... driven almost 100 miles now and all seems manageable - stat stuck open so R5 mod ordered, 5w led bulbs for interior lights as a couple blown, bodged undertray back up and ordered LR clip kit. Removed other rear flap but fronts still on due to paint wear. Flashed over one alloy in Plasikote silver looks much better. Do the same on others when wind dies down! Fitted Sonichi DAB kit from old car with mag mount aerial. Changed mats over for better ones.
Clayed one wing and looks much better.
I was cheesed off with purchase really as he’d spent a fair few quid on the car but neglected to mention a few fairly obvious issues.
But as time goes on I’m getting to like the car, never had a diesel auto before and it’s surprisingly sporty (I’ve had ZT 190s before) and actually quite a hoot to drive - with 40+ mpg!
Was registered a week before the closure...

Old 25th April 2018, 18:02   #2
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hst125 View Post
Had the new 75 two days now and shakedown continues...
Bad points - caveat emptor as they say on eBay....
Sounded good on eBay, deal done, sounded better on the phone. Went to collect and yes the photos don’t show it as it is! Pulled out of the drive and scrapes galore underneath, mudflaps and undertray. A few clunks from drop links despite having many new suspension parts. Offside mirror been hit so glass wobbles, wipers have rigor mortis, boot interior scruffy, odd mats inside, wheels desperately need a lick of paint. Rear mudflap awol.
However... driven almost 100 miles now and all seems manageable - stat stuck open so R5 mod ordered, 5w led bulbs for interior lights as a couple blown, bodged undertray back up and ordered LR clip kit. Removed other rear flap but fronts still on due to paint wear. Flashed over one alloy in Plasikote silver looks much better. Do the same on others when wind dies down! Fitted Sonichi DAB kit from old car with mag mount aerial. Changed mats over for better ones.
Clayed one wing and looks much better.
I was cheesed off with purchase really as he’d spent a fair few quid on the car but neglected to mention a few fairly obvious issues.
But as time goes on I’m getting to like the car, never had a diesel auto before and it’s surprisingly sporty (I’ve had ZT 190s before) and actually quite a hoot to drive - with 40+ mpg!
Was registered a week before the closure...

That means it runs on rails.
Old 25th April 2018, 18:04   #3
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

One might say these are age related things, and after all it is a thirteen year old car with 128K on the clock.

Not every owner treats them as objects of desire, or has the same idea regarding how a car should be described when selling, so if buying blind, it as you say is very much caveat emptor

Every single "cheap" Rover 75 or ZT I've seen advertised needs most if not all of the same jobs doing and more to bring them up to scratch.

So enjoy getting stuck in

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2018, 18:23   #4
hst125
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
One might say these are age related things, and after all it is a thirteen year old car with 128K on the clock.

Not every owner treats them as objects of desire, or has the same idea regarding how a car should be described when selling, so if buying blind, it as you say is very much caveat emptor

Every single "cheap" Rover 75 or ZT I've seen advertised needs most if not all of the same jobs doing and more to bring them up to scratch.

So enjoy getting stuck in

Brian
Absolutely agree. I paid half this for my ZTT which was 200% straight but that was 3 years ago and they’ve definitely gone up a bit. I paid £1275 for this one so not bad considering, the body responded well to a clay bar so I reckon I’ll have it all like a new pin soon enough. Looking at your signature I can see a few mods coming up! (As soon as I’m happy with the engine I’ll be looking to tweak it )
Old 26th April 2018, 04:25   #5
hst125
Loves to post

Update day 3:
Seems a loose undertray can demonstrate the symptoms of knackered drop links! Much quieter drive to work this morning. This car really is quite the sleeper, deceptively fast, going to have to keep an eye on the speedo...
Temp still low about 1/4 gauge (ambient 7c) so stat is next job. And fix the broken cup holder, I use that a lot!
Better by the day this old bus it's showing signs of being a keeper i
Old 26th April 2018, 23:20   #6
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Yes, a superb cruiser, with an inaudible motor at 70mph / 2,330 rpm, and they waft nicely along the A and B roads in a refusing-to-be-stressed sort of way.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2018, 14:22   #7
hst125
Loves to post

Day 5:
Car buying is such a minefield! Sometimes you buy a car and after a few miles you find faults, niggles, you start to fret and wish you hadn’t done it. Sometimes you turn up and walk away because it doesn’t feel right. After two failed purchases, first car - Citroen C2 - had HGF (only discovered when I sold it, luckily eBay buyer was a gent and we did a deal to get rid) second was an MX5 which was just too frantic for my commute, and the buyer of which (eBay sale) has given me grief, I went for this 75.
As mentioned I found niggles, a couple of faults, but accepted the car on the basis of the seller’s honesty and pile of bills, set to using the car for my 23 mile cross country commute..
After a few hours spare this week I’ve started working away at the list of jobs, thinking I could have dismissed this car so easily, but today’s drive to work and home again in Saturday shopper traffic - well I have to say, it just gets better and better. The drive is so effortless yet swift, only gripe is the cool heater, just waiting the stat. I went the long way round to dodge the traffic and I could have gone on for miles. I’ve just parked up outside and there’s something Bentley about this car, the colour, stance, wheels - we’ve a Bentley main dealer in the village and a Continental pulled out in front in near enough the same hue!
Sometimes you get a car and it turns out to be just right, or even better....
Old 28th April 2018, 20:31   #8
Nobby
Aged to perfection!

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

Mick, sounds like its goner turn out to be a good buy; few basic snags that most 2nd hand cars come with but sounds like nothing major. Have fun and why not also join some of us for a breakfast natter etc here https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=282348 - you might even get a spy hole mod done while your there if you need one

Sometimes I talk to myself, Then we both LAUGH!

Nobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2018, 20:07   #9
hst125
Loves to post

Day 8:
Spoke to a local remapper and he’s been today above upped me to 160 :-) whilst he was here I mentioned the wife’s Touran and he’s upped that from 105 to 143 and extra 20% torque, now that is a flying machine! I wasn’t going to tell Mrs but after I test drove it I thought I’d better as it is SIGNIFICANTLY more responsive and I could see her coming unstuck on the first drive..
Upside is I reckon I’m 20% improved on mpg already on the 75 and I reckon the VW will be even better.
Other jobs today - proper wash, Autoglym silver and lacquered alloys.
Next - Stat arrived today, along with K&N element, and undertray ultimate kit to fit. Then hardwired USB for DAB converter.
Old 4th May 2018, 12:52   #10
hst125
Loves to post

End of week 2 update
Stat replacement and undertray kit fitted thank you to DMGRS
LED replacement bulbs x 5 in courtesy lights
Headlight lens refresh - Turtle wax kit, better but not perfect
Wash and shine, full clay and polish when weather permits
Air filter swapped out for K&N - good job too, I’ve never ever seen such a filthy filter!!!
Cd slot phone holder fitted, handy
New wipers and Rain-X applied

Drive to work now increased to 48mpg

Next, fuel filter, USB hard wire

Loving this car it’s made for my 22 mile commute to its spiritual birthplace, Oxford!