Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th April 2018, 07:07   #1
grs6680
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190

Default a little help needed

morning people im looking at buying a new project that i can use for a daily driver the only problem the rear arms are all nackt what sort of a job is it to replace the complete rear end,its that bad that the car cant be moved apart fro trailering any help would be great.
grs6680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2018, 08:12   #2
championdaddy
This is my second home

Mg Zt 190

If the bolts undo without a problem it is a fairly easy job.

wheel off
disc off
top and bottom arm outer bolt
drop link
one inner bolt

and out it pops.......IF.... they all undo

In my case, the 2 outermost bolts were rusted solid and had to be cut out......not an easy job.
championdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2018, 15:04   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by championdaddy View Post
If the bolts undo without a problem it is a fairly easy job.

wheel off
disc off
top and bottom arm outer bolt
drop link
one inner bolt

and out it pops.......IF.... they all undo

In my case, the 2 outermost bolts were rusted solid and had to be cut out......not an easy job.
I found getting the bolt hole to line up near the disc for the arm to locate was a cow of a job as the rear spring was forcing the arm down. As you say if all the bolts undo then its not a bad job with the right tools.

You will need a medium depth 18mm socket and a cut down short extension bar as a normal short 1/2 inch extn is too long. The socket undoes the nut on the arm by the disc and the bolt does poke through the nut some distance so not all sockets reach the nut

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2018, 17:37   #4
grs6680
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190

thanks gents it the problem areas im after.the more problems i know about the less of a surprise they will be.
grs6680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2018, 17:59   #5
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Your main problem will be getting the bolts out of the upper arms as they bolt on to the subframe. The captive nuts are inaccessible if they spin and also for some reason they are round with no flats to get a spanner on if you could access them. If you look at the lower arms where they are bolted to the subframe you can see identical nut on them but they are accessible.

So, if the upper arm nuts spin you have to remove the subframe. To be honest it isn't much more work. Once you have the car on the stands it is best if you have a couple of small trolley jacks to lower/lift arms, compress springs. manover disks etc to get things to line up. make sure you torque every thing up to the correct torque.

Its the first time for me doing one, took around 2-3 hours and the subframe and arms were out. I removed the springs before dropping the subframe as this made it easier to access the ARB links and unbolt the outer arms etc.

Your choice but If you are on your own then put it back at a piece at a time otherwise if you assemble and stuff it up it tends to be a little heavy. After refitting the subframe I worked inside to out top to bottom.
The bolts that hold the ARB on to the subframe sheared off as soon as they caught sight of the 6 sided 10mm spocket but they can be drilled and tapped or drilled and nut and bolted.

Breaker bar with 6 sided sockets is your best friend on disassembly

Oh and you need to remove the exhaust.

Hope that helps

D...

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident

Last edited by stocktake; 25th April 2018 at 18:06..
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2018, 09:15   #6
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Plenty of penetrating oil for days beforehand on the inner arm bolts, then slowly work the bolt in and out with more penetrating oil as you go, as others have said use six sided sockets for everything on the job.

Oh, and more penetrating oil 👍