Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th April 2018, 16:22   #51
Mr Toad of London

Rover 75 V8 tourer MG ZTT V6 MG RV8 and others

Default Heated Windscreens

Hi Rick,

I am still waiting to hear from you with the arrangements for me to have one of the windscreens. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

Martin
Mr Toad of London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2018, 17:13   #52
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Hi Martin, the new heated windscreens are £253 + £60 shipping, price includes the wiring loom which will be provided by me.

If you'd like one pop me a PM and I'll provide payment details.

Cheers
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2018, 07:14   #53
Mr Toad
Avid contributor

Rover 75 V8 tourer & MG ZTT & MG RV8

Default heated windscreens

Hi Rick,

I sent you a PM yesterday evening and look forward to hearing from by email preferably.

Regards,

Martin
Mr Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2018, 11:47   #54
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toad View Post
Hi Rick,

I sent you a PM yesterday evening and look forward to hearing from by email preferably.

Regards,

Martin
Replied to your PM Martin
Old 26th April 2018, 11:48   #55
Rick-sta
This is my second home

Default wiring kit options.

Right I'm finally done coming up with suitable set ups for the wiring looms for the heated windscreens which I will be sending to you.

Just to give you a general idea of how the wiring kits will be set up, the kit will include a timer relay which will limit the heated windscreen to being switched on for 5 minutes at a time max. The timer relay will trigger 2 40a relays which will power the windscreen. The heater elements on the windscreen are in two halves, so a relay is needed for the left half and another for the right half. These windscreens draw a lot of current, so after doing a lot research into this, I concluded that 5 minutes was the optimum time to have the windscreen running for. The windscreen will fully defrost within 5 minutes on a cold winter morning just fine. If you'd ever need the heated windscreen to be on for longer, you can simply switch it on again. These windscreens can handle running for much longer at a time, however there's not much use having it on for longer than 5 minutes and it'll just put unnecessary strain on the alternator.

Now I've come up with 2 possible options for how you can have the heated windscreen set up which I wanted to share with you to give you the choice.

Option 1: fitting a separate switch for the front heated screen

The first option is to run the front heated windscreen off a separate switch using a spare heated seat switch which you can fit upside down in the switch panel on the center console (fit the switch upside down to prevent you getting it confused with your actual heated seat switches). This will allow you to switch the front heated screen on independently. The heated seat switch has a built in 20 minute timer I believe, so the light on the switch would remained illuminated for 20 mins when switched on, however the timer relay included in your wiring kit will only allow the screen to be switched on for 5 minutes.

However, this option would require you to source a heated seat switch and also the plug for the heated seat switch with around 6-8 inches of wire attached from a breaker.

Option 2: running the front heated screen off the rear heated screen button

The second option is to have the front and rear heated screens come on together by running the trigger for the relays off the rear heated screen loom. This would mean when you switch on the rear heated screen button on your AC panel/heater controls, both the front and rear heated screens would switch on. This is a simpler method to set up the front heated windscreen as less wiring is involved, and would be the only option for those who already have a full switch panel with 5 switches on the center console.

A point to note with setting it up this way is that during the colder months the rear heated screen switches on automatically when the temperature is below 10oc. Therefore the front screen may switch on when you don't want it to. However this feature can be switched off using a t4 or toaf, something which I can do.

Above are the two options for your wiring kit. If you could let me know which option you would like, I can then set up the wiring loom accordingly. The wiring kit will come with instructions.

If anyone would like me to fit their wiring for them, I will be offering a fitting service for £50 and I'll wire everything up for you here in Thurrock, Essex. If you'd like me to fit the wiring for you let me know as I will then keep your wiring kit here.

It'll most likely be a couple of weeks before I get all of the looms finished, I now have 27 wiring kits to make so it's going to take a lot of time. I'll start sending the kits out as I go along.

In the mean time you can get the windscreen fitted. there's a pair of wires on either side of the windscreen, just ensure they are kept somewhere accessible when the screen is fitted so that it can be wired up at a later date. The wires go on the inside of the windscreen into the pillars, not on the engine bay side.

Cheers,
Rick
Old 1st May 2018, 09:26   #56
charlie 22
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 2.5V6, Mazda Cx30

Hi Rick,
Not sure if you got my email the wife said I had sent it to myself twice. Received my new windscreen nice and early on Monday morning. A Big thank you for a the hard work you did for all us behind the scenes.
Old 1st May 2018, 10:33   #57
handyjackdaniels
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.5 v6 in firefrost red

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie 22 View Post
Hi Rick,
Not sure if you got my email the wife said I had sent it to myself twice. Received my new windscreen nice and early on Monday morning. A Big thank you for a the hard work you did for all us behind the scenes.

Yes, well done Rick.

Steve.
Old 1st May 2018, 20:37   #58
wattonwatty
Avid contributor

MG ZT cdti +

Thanks Rick, picked mine up from the supplier so just got to find someone to fit it later on in the year when car is back on the road. Once again, appreciation for setting this up.
Old 2nd May 2018, 10:11   #59
Rick-sta
This is my second home

Thanks all Look forward to getting mine fitted too, as far as I'm aware my windscreen is the original one so at 205k miles you can imagine how many stone chips there are all across the windscreen. Then to wait for some frost
Old 16th July 2018, 13:14   #60
handyjackdaniels
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.5 v6 in firefrost red

Rick,
Have sent you a email and p.m.

Are the remaining looms coming out yet?

Thanks.

Steve.