Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th July 2010, 13:42   #11
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikelsh View Post
I think your wrong

That link doesnt say that

Car licences obtained on or after 1 January 1997

If you passed a car test on or after 1 January 1997 you're limited to vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes maximum authorised mass towing a trailer up to 750kgs, or a vehicle and trailer combination up to 3.5 tonnes MAM providing the MAM of the trailer doesn't exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle. You will need to pass an additional driving test in B+E if you wish to tow a caravan or trailer combination which exceeds these weight limits.

Further Reading

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...es/DG_10013073
ah very good, i suppose i should read it, so looks like i don't need to sit that test. So as your very direct comment says I am wrong.

I can as above drive with a trailer but those who passed before 1997 can drive a heavier one,
Departed 32016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 14:10   #12
sikelsh
This is my second home

MGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieranswood View Post
ah very good, i suppose i should read it, so looks like i don't need to sit that test. So as your very direct comment says I am wrong.

I can as above drive with a trailer but those who passed before 1997 can drive a heavier one,
Some sensitive folks on this forum your welcome.
Old 5th July 2010, 14:21   #13
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikelsh View Post
Some sensitive folks on this forum your welcome.
just "a bit a banter"
Departed 32016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 15:14   #14
CFS75
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto

Default Towing memories

This has reminded me of an early towing experience when I was in the army many years ago. The sergeant major called for a volunteeer to go to a depot about 15 miles away to pick up a GTV. I was not a designated driver but had a licence so I volunteered.

When I arrived at the depot I was pointed in the direction of a large Austin GTV that was waiting for me so I climbed up into the cab, checked the controls and started the engine. I was about to pull away when a mechanic rushed over to me waving some papers - I had not signed for the vehicle!

As I signed the forms I noticed that in addition to the GTV, I was signing for an ammunition limber and a 25 pounder gun. I dismounted from the vehicle and went to the rear and was surprised to find a limber and a gun attached - two trailers - and not visible from the drivers seat.!

It was my first experience of towing. The limber had a run on brake but there was no similar braking on the gun, so braking the outfit was quite alarming with a series of shunts from behind as the GTV braked. I also realised that the trailers did not track directly behind the GTV when there was a camber on the road, and the gun tended to run about a foot nearer to the gutter!

When I returned to base I parked up and declined the suggestion that I attempt to reverse with the two trailers attached. Happy days.

Colin S
CFS75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 15:57   #15
matt_tdv6
Avid contributor

04 ZT CDTI & 04 MG ZR Express

Its a grey area with many loopholes
matt_tdv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2018, 17:52   #16
OliverTailor
Spammer. Banned.

Rover 75 Saloo

Yes, I did it! I have HGV Class 1 Licence. It allows me to drive a vehicle weighing over 7.5t, that has a detachable or a separate trailer. HGV licence is definitely worth having and if you have an interest in lorries, haulage and roads, then lorry driving becomes a way of life, like in my case
OliverTailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2018, 22:17   #17
Groundsman Willie
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8t

Congratulations
Old 21st April 2018, 22:21   #18
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
I did the B+E test last year. It's longer than the car test. It's about an 1h 45mins long, there is a reverse the trailer part of the test that can be a bit tricky.
You reverse back from one box of cones into another about 15 yrds away and about 5/10 yards to your right. You have to go to the right of the cone and not hit it. Once in the second box you pull forward it another open box of cones to simulate pulling forward into a garage. You then have to un hitch the trailer and pull away then rehitch it. You have to do a bit of an inspection and an oral 'test' about the trailer. You then have about an hour of driving around.
Some last longer over 2 hrs. I did mine in one week course, Mon to Thurs driving test on friday. Passed first time
1.45 to 2 hrs, that's a long test just so you can tow a decent weight considering you have already past a test to drive a car.
Nice that for once there is a good reason for being old, grandfather rights.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2018, 08:03   #19
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

It makes me wonder how safe some folk are when towing caravans and trailers. I passed my test in 1968 dear me what a long time ago..I once had a 4.2 Jag and a Lynton 4 birth caravan, was on holiday and stopped around the new forest in a big pub, thought had better pull up in an area reserved for coaches, there was one there already Wallis Arnold, drove alongside it, when I got out to check position etc..the jag and caravan were past the coach by about 3' front and back, it was only then that it struck me how long the rig was. Started to be very careful especially getting fuel
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2018, 11:45   #20
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
I did the B+E test last year. It's longer than the car test. It's about an 1h 45mins long, there is a reverse the trailer part of the test that can be a bit tricky.
You reverse back from one box of cones into another about 15 yrds away and about 5/10 yards to your right. You have to go to the right of the cone and not hit it. Once in the second box you pull forward it another open box of cones to simulate pulling forward into a garage. You then have to un hitch the trailer and pull away then rehitch it. You have to do a bit of an inspection and an oral 'test' about the trailer. You then have about an hour of driving around.
Some last longer over 2 hrs. I did mine in one week course, Mon to Thurs driving test on friday. Passed first time
This is pretty much exactly what to expect. I did mine two years ago and did a two day course, first day was mainly reversing practices with hitching and unhitching and general driving practice. Second day was similar with a test In The afternoon.
A word of caution however, if you aren't confident about passing your test it will be difficult because it is a dsa test with a trailer attached. No theory though.

If I were to do it again I'd do my c1+e, which is up to 7.5t but you have to do c1 first then c1+e and I think it's £1500 for the lot, the b+e was under £500 and that was with the use of the instructors discovery and Fuel.

VIS motor tester avalible to local members

Injector removal tool and auto gearbox pressure tester now available
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote