Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th June 2018, 07:22   #31
Fox3
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi and MG ZT 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikelsh View Post
I think your wrong

That link doesnt say that

Car licences obtained on or after 1 January 1997

If you passed a car test on or after 1 January 1997 you're limited to vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes maximum authorised mass towing a trailer up to 750kgs, or a vehicle and trailer combination up to 3.5 tonnes MAM providing the MAM of the trailer doesn't exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle. You will need to pass an additional driving test in B+E if you wish to tow a caravan or trailer combination which exceeds these weight limits.

Further Reading

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...es/DG_10013073
The important bit in this I've highlighted in bold.

The MAM (Maximum authorised mass / maximum capacity of the trailer) cant exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle

So a trailer with a capacity of 1.5t (regardless if its empty or loaded) would be illegal to tow, on your licence with most of the Rover 75 range.

This gets worse if you look at a larger car, I.E. a discovery, you'd be limited to the 700kg.

To confuse things even more, if you go for a lighter car and heavier trailer, you cant go over 3.5t combined.

Its a law, that while makes a degree of sense, forces you down a route of getting something unsuitable to tow with should you wish to tow anything of reasonable size!

I've not done my trailer test, but passed my class one HGV last year, I can tow just about anything now without taking the trailer test, seems rather daft to me, an articulated wagon and a car and trailer are two completely different beasts!

A lot of folk in the horse world get there horsebox 'down plated' to ensure they fall within the law, a 2t capacity trailer gets 'down plated' to say 1t, so they can tow it. It really is just changing the stamped capacity plate, and is perfectly legal.

Although if you just remove the plate, or its an old trailer without one, they go on tyre ratings!

Crackers.
Old 5th June 2018, 08:06   #32
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox3 View Post
A lot of folk in the horse world get there horsebox 'down plated' to ensure they fall within the law, a 2t capacity trailer gets 'down plated' to say 1t, so they can tow it. It really is just changing the stamped capacity plate, and is perfectly legal.

Although if you just remove the plate, or its an old trailer without one, they go on tyre ratings!

Crackers.

At the factory, a lot of caravan manufacturers do the same. They derate the caravan chassis, lower that what it was designed for. Reason, it helps their sales to less capable vehicle owners. It thus restricts the payload which can be legally carried in the caravan by the owner.

Its a simple job to have it rerated up to its original rating, just a simple change of rating plate - but it costs. You pay the manufacture maybe £100 for the replacement.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2018, 09:03   #33
Briodyjl01
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer, Rover 75 Saloon

All this about difference licenses confuses the hell out of me im nearly 23 and got my licence in november 2014 so i know i would need to take a test. what test i wouldnt have a clue.

The things i am wanting to tow would be a car trailer carring an austin metro or a rover metro and possible a small caravn/trailer tent.

Now i have a 2.0 tourer with big tow bar its someting i would like to look into. what are the kinda costs involved.

thank you
Briodyjl01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2018, 09:11   #34
Fox3
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi and MG ZT 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briodyjl01 View Post
All this about difference licenses confuses the hell out of me im nearly 23 and got my licence in november 2014 so i know i would need to take a test. what test i wouldnt have a clue.

The things i am wanting to tow would be a car trailer carring an austin metro or a rover metro and possible a small caravn/trailer tent.

Now i have a 2.0 tourer with big tow bar its someting i would like to look into. what are the kinda costs involved.

thank you
Anywhere between £500 and £1000 depending on experience and where you go.

Your not a million miles from these based near York. They are not the cheapest, but have an excellent pass rate, new vehicles etc. I did my class 2 and class 1 with them, highly recommended.

http://www.tockwithtraining.co.uk/trailer_training.html