Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st October 2011, 20:07   #1
Jar

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Engine cut out at 60mph

I wonder if you experts can shed some light on a really worrying failure. I have a 51 plate diesel tourer that has done about 105k and I have owned it for thr last 6 years or so. It was serviced about 2 months ago and had just under half a tank of fuel. My wife was driving in the dark on the A14 and had just accelerated to overtake a slow car and had got to about 60mph when the engine cut out. Thankfully she was able to freewheel over to the grass verge. She was very shaken and said the low pressure light came on. Thankfully the police moved it off the A14 and the AA were out quite soon (it was dark and rush hour). He checked the oil, water and fuel and all ok so started the engine and the car was fine. He ran a diagnosic test and has written AADIS Codes - Cambus sensor - low fuel pressure.

My wife drove the car home (about 12 miles) and the AA man followed her (well done AA!)

So am I right in assuming he is refering to the Cam sensor? If so I replaced this about 3 years ago when I was having the odd problem with hot starting. If the sensor was faulty would it cause the engine to stop at high speed?

Any help would be really appreciated. The silver lining in the cloud is that I get my Rover back as she wont drive it - only joking!
Jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 20:12   #2
psicobra
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

i am thinking probably fuel pump maybe

long list of work done so long cant fit in signature so here is the link
psicobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 20:14   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

My first thought whenever I read about this is 'hmm, fuel pumps?' Diesels have notoriously fickle pumps and if yours are the originals, I'd home in on the one in the tank, then the one under the bonnet.

TC
T-Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 20:17   #4
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jar View Post
I wonder if you experts can shed some light on a really worrying failure. I have a 51 plate diesel tourer that has done about 105k and I have owned it for thr last 6 years or so. It was serviced about 2 months ago and had just under half a tank of fuel. My wife was driving in the dark on the A14 and had just accelerated to overtake a slow car and had got to about 60mph when the engine cut out. Thankfully she was able to freewheel over to the grass verge. She was very shaken and said the low pressure light came on. Thankfully the police moved it off the A14 and the AA were out quite soon (it was dark and rush hour). He checked the oil, water and fuel and all ok so started the engine and the car was fine. He ran a diagnosic test and has written AADIS Codes - Cambus sensor - low fuel pressure.

My wife drove the car home (about 12 miles) and the AA man followed her (well done AA!)

So am I right in assuming he is refering to the Cam sensor? If so I replaced this about 3 years ago when I was having the odd problem with hot starting. If the sensor was faulty would it cause the engine to stop at high speed?

Any help would be really appreciated. The silver lining in the cloud is that I get my Rover back as she wont drive it - only joking!
The cam sensor wont cause cutting out as it,s only used at start up , most certainly low fuel pressure , check both low pressure pumps are running .
The underbonnet low pressure pump is a common cause of cutting out but injector wear could also be your problem .
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 20:18   #5
efreeti
Gets stuck in

ZT-T CDT 130+ (04) & 75 Tourer CDT Auto (52) & a 1998 MGF (with HGF!)

nothing to do with cam sensor. The cambus is just the name for the sensor system that is registering the fault. cam sensor would cause poor starting but wouldn't cut once it had started.

"low fuel pressure warning" could be a number of fuel related issues. First thing to check is if both pumps are working correctly. search the forums, loads of info on here.

Replace in tank fuel pump with Peugeot alternative
Dismantle and re-fit interior and seats
Retrofit electric memory seats without the loom
All followed at your own risk!

Available to borrow: I have a home made (tried and tested) Cam Locking tool for M47 should anyone need it.
efreeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 20:19   #6
RovingDennis
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT 135+ Club saloon, Wegwood Blue.

Don't think it's cam sensor, that is only used on starting. As above with pumps.
Old 31st October 2011, 20:20   #7
efreeti
Gets stuck in

ZT-T CDT 130+ (04) & 75 Tourer CDT Auto (52) & a 1998 MGF (with HGF!)

3 of us leap to help at the same time

Replace in tank fuel pump with Peugeot alternative
Dismantle and re-fit interior and seats
Retrofit electric memory seats without the loom
All followed at your own risk!

Available to borrow: I have a home made (tried and tested) Cam Locking tool for M47 should anyone need it.
efreeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 20:41   #8
Jar

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks so much for prompt responses and help. Well I knew one day I would need to do the pumps and after 105k miles they have had a good innings though I would rather it happened on a small side road than the A14, I will check for pump sounds etc first light. Anyone know a good independant near Ipswich?
Jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 21:52   #9
minijohn

MG ZT CDTI

Mine did exactly this & it was injectors.
The low oil pressure warning comes on because the engine's not running

John
minijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 21:54   #10
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jar View Post
Thanks so much for prompt responses and help. Well I knew one day I would need to do the pumps and after 105k miles they have had a good innings though I would rather it happened on a small side road than the A14, I will check for pump sounds etc first light. Anyone know a good independant near Ipswich?

Try kerridges in stowmarket
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote