Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th September 2010, 10:32   #1
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts
Default synergy 2 + pierburgh maf

I know this has been spoken about lot's of times but to put my mind at ease..I am about to buy a synergy2 is it a good idea to fit a pierburgh maf at the same time I have no idea if mine is 100% but car has done 77k and I'm thinking that for another £53 it would be a worth while job ,also plan to replace pcv with the BMW fit and forget item (11127799224)
Cheers Ian

Last edited by Ian G; 13th September 2010 at 10:50..
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 15:59   #2
MalteseMarc
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI connoisseur SE auto, 2004

Sounds a good idea to me! certainly the Pierburg maf is far cheaper then a new Bosch maf, and just to add with the Pierburg the Maf compensator on the synergy must be switched on. When that is done the it might be worth your while to fit an EGR bypass valve
Old 13th September 2010, 16:32   #3
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

There does seem to be recent information that the PB MAF is not a good replacement for the Bosch, but, I think BigRuss posted some part numbers referring to a newer version of the PB MAF that may be a better match..

As for the EGR, just pull the vac pipe off, pinch the lil spigot closed with pliers, then pop the vac pipe back on, job done..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 16:33   #4
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc.t1 View Post
Sounds a good idea to me! certainly the Pierburg maf is far cheaper then a new Bosch maf, and just to add with the Pierburg the Maf compensator on the synergy must be switched on. When that is done the it might be worth your while to fit an EGR bypass valve
Thanks Marc
EGR bypass already fitted,I have just ordered the Synergy 2 along with the BMW engine breather(pcv) so all I need to do is give europarts a call and get the Pierburgh Maf sent across to me.
Ian
Old 13th September 2010, 21:07   #5
wuzerk
Passed Away

Rover 75 CDT 03 auto Conn. SE

Default SYNERGY 2 + Pierburgh?

If you can afford it I suppose you might as well buy the Pierburgh but, the Synergy 2 has maf compensation built in so you have 3 levels available if your Bosch maf is below spec before you would need a new one. I have been using a Pierburgh for three years and the car performs very well!
wuzerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 21:14   #6
kissifer1972
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Conn Tourer & Rover 75 CDT Conn SE Saloon

You can get the genuine Bosch MAF for £80 plus delivery, so why would you fit a part not designed for the car???

http://www.worldcarparts.co.uk/Defau...&ProductID=606

A few are now reporting the PB MAF as not lasting any longer than the Bosch, and also that performance above 3k rpm is not what it should be.

Chris
Genuine Rover Xenons - now removed and sold
Kenlowe fan
Synergy 2
EGR Bypass
kissifer1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 10:15   #7
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Don't assume your Bosch maf is shot there's every chance that it isn't and may only require the mafam of the Synergy to work within limits.

There is a Pierburg that is listed as a direct replacement for our cars although a few reports say it isn't suitable dispite this.

Also it's more expensive than a brand new Bosch one from world car parts so why bother.

Since the Bosch maf is now available at a more affordable price IMHO for the little extra cost it's far better to fit the original.

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 13:35   #8
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
Don't assume your Bosch maf is shot there's every chance that it isn't and may only require the mafam of the Synergy to work within limits.

There is a Pierburg that is listed as a direct replacement for our cars although a few reports say it isn't suitable dispite this.

Also it's more expensive than a brand new Bosch one from world car parts so why bother.

Since the Bosch maf is now available at a more affordable price IMHO for the little extra cost it's far better to fit the original.

Russ
Thanks Russ I have had confirmation from Roverron that I probably won't need to change the Maf so I'll see how it goes when fitted,Just fitting a EGR bypass has transformed the car so looking forward to synergy 2 + de-cat.
Cheers Ian
Old 15th September 2010, 18:14   #9
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Pierburgh do NOT make a repalcement for the Bosch one used on this engine.
You can check their website.
They DO now make one for the 25/45/Zr/ZS and we stock this - its half the price of a Bosch one £130.

I am surprised about the comments over the Pierbugh maf. Its surprising since I've never had any until recently, despite selling them with the Synergy 2 for almost 5 years. Must be the vocal minority...

A genuine Bosch maf in an unopened Bosch box is over £200 - LR dealers charge £230 + vat.
Anything selling for £80 is suspect - please believe me I've heard it all many many times. As the old saying goes - if it sounds too good to be true, it will be. Same comments apply to the clone & Xpart mafs. (I believe these now just have a 3month warranty which speaks volumes...)

Please phone your nearest Bosch agent (see yell.com) and check the true price.

One factor in maf longevity could be oil contamination, This will void the warranty and is most likley due to a clogged pcv valve and / or filthy air filter.

I recommedn fitting the BMW pcv valve which doesn't have the felt filter.
Ron
Old 15th September 2010, 20:38   #10
kissifer1972
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Conn Tourer & Rover 75 CDT Conn SE Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverron View Post
Pierburgh do NOT make a repalcement for the Bosch one used on this engine.
You can check their website.
They DO now make one for the 25/45/Zr/ZS and we stock this - its half the price of a Bosch one £130.

I believe that it was what BigRuss said - there were reports there was one but there isn't for the M47R - it is for the M47 (BMW only)

A genuine Bosch maf in an unopened Bosch box is over £200 - LR dealers charge £230 + vat.

I would imagine the Manufacturers Recommended Retail Price might well be £200 plus - but it is just that, a recommendation

Anything selling for £80 is suspect - please believe me I've heard it all many many times.

Not listed as "Bosch Type" or any other such scam - listed as genuine Bosch part with Bosch part numbers stated and full 12 month warranty

As the old saying goes - if it sounds too good to be true, it will be.

Such as fitting a MAF designed for a Mercedes engine to a BMW engine with a Bosch ECU, will give the same performance as a MAF designed for a BMW engine with a Bosch ECU????
I do appreciate that you have done a great deal to assist CDT(i) owners in improving the performance of their cars, indeed I have a synergy 2, and it is a wonderful piece of kit but surely you must agree fitting the correct part is always preferable.
Genuine Rover Xenons - now removed and sold
Kenlowe fan
Synergy 2
EGR Bypass
kissifer1972 is offline   Reply With Quote