Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th March 2007, 21:51   #11
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robins View Post
John ,
had you bought a proper car with a petrol V6 engine the vented discs are standard fit (tourer ) .
I Had Vented Discs on front of tourer as Standard just upgraded them, it was the rears I was Querying.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 22:41   #12
Simon
Banned

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
Not me guv....

iirc vented discs, ie. with holes in them, are more likely to fracture if they overheat.....:lol:
Ooops.. Sorry...
Dunno who I was thinking of then....
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2007, 21:42   #13
John Robins
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
I Had Vented Discs on front of tourer as Standard just upgraded them, it was the rears I was Querying.
Yes I meant rear vented discs on my tourer , I think its just the 2.5 auto that has them .
John Robins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2007, 21:56   #14
Rincewind
Loves to post

MINI Cooper S Works (Superchardged not Turbo!)

Fitting rear vented discs will probably require vented calipers as they will be slightly wider to accomodate the extra width of the disc.

To be honest, the only cars that need rear vented discs are the MG ZT 190's and the V6 Autos. We took the vented rears off because they don't really need them on the manual box'd cars as there is a great deal more engine braking available from the manual boxes over the autos.

The rears will never lock before the fronts do as this is illegal and the cars system has been designed to prevent this from happening with the EBD system built into the ABS unit. in the braking Regulation 13H, there is a wheel lock sequence testas part of the homologatino tests and should the rears lock before the fornts the car fails it's test therefore the EBD system takes care of it and never lets the pressure to the rears get to the pint where they will lock.

There is no need to upgrade the front discs as the system works fine with solid or vented rears as was designed to do.

Unless the brake pad material is designed to be "sacrificed" faster than normal OE pads, groved or drilled discs will not have any affect on the R75/ZT braking system.

Believe you me, the cars have been through some of the hardest tests known to driving during development and type approval and the before Australia accepted 13H braking tests, they have their own series of tests which are very hard on the car and the 75/ZT sailed through the tests and that includes taking away all brake cooling by concealing the wheels with "black out" covers to prevent airflow.

The diesel engines have a fair bit of engine braking so the vented discs aren't required. I have a ZTT 135 and I've had my car pounding round the MIRA proving ground before now doing demonstrations and I'n never had any problems with the brakes giving up.

Nic

The difference is, when you shout, "Where's my clean socks?", no-one answers

MGR stories, MGR help and advice all available at no extra cost !

The Two Sixties - it's a V8 thing ... Honorary Member and Puddle of V8/4/6cyl Knowledge et al.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Come see who I work for at www.vca.gov.uk without us, the world would be a right mess!
Rincewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2007, 22:31   #15
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Very useful Information there thanks Nic.
My Diesel Tourer was always fitted with Vented discs on Front, solid on Back with rear Anti Roll Bar, But on a couple of the very Bendy steep Mountain Roads I use when pulling the Caravan I sometimes Got Brake fade (Auto Box) Since switching to the "Scored" type discs & Pads this has not happened. Coincidence? Im not sure but they feel a lot better. Which was why I queried Upgrading rears.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote