Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st March 2007, 14:31   #11
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinW View Post
John
I don't often look in Halfords at the diesel engine oils, and I had thought there might have been a specific diesel version but I wasn't sure. Would you do me a favour, please, could you tell me what API rating is on your container? It will be on the back side in fine print. I guess you will find it is a much higher API C rating, possibly CI-4 (4 for 4 stroke) whilst the S rating will be lower, possibly SG or SH.

But a good point, all CDTi owners should look to see that the Mobil1 oil 0W40 is teh diesel spec version and not the petrol spec version.
Martin
Right gone through whole very Brief details printed on 5 litre container (same as the leaflet on 1 litre ones)Fully Synthetic and it gives IMHO very few clues the whole panel gives its recommended for all the Different Makers Cars under individual Codes (BMW, etc) then has the following statement: Meets or exceeds: AC, EA, AJ B3, B4 then API: SJ/SC/EC/SM/CF No numbers or other details stated and at £38 per container you would think better info other than suitable for all Modern Turbo Diesels engines without changing for 15000 miles.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 22:28   #12
MartinW

MG TF LE500

Thanks, John. I am a little surprised at the quoted API specs, it still seems very low for a modern diesel. In fact the numbers look very similar to those quoted on my petrol version of the 0W40.
As to the information it is quite detailed for public consumption although most oil manufacturers will not share their additive formulations for obvious reasons, but one can download a technical data sheet and this can also be very useful for comparing oils giving information on the oil properties and performance tests done under ISO and ASTM criteria.
MartinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2007, 09:27   #13
ANDY 545
Regular poster

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDTi

Thanks everyone
The feedback has been very helpful and I think I will go down the fully synthetic route every 12 months, I feel this will be beneficial for the low winter temperatures and also aide with soot and other pollutants building up.
Theres also the point of the oil keeping its property's longer being man made.
I shall look at the various products for the API and ACEA ratings, one more thing in my search for information I read in couple of places that Mobil 1 Diesel was the same as Mobil 1 Petrol which surprised me but the specifications being talked about on here there may be something in it WHO KNOWS.
Regards Andy
ANDY 545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2007, 23:22   #14
icogger
Regular poster

75 Saloon CDT

Perhaps I can throw something into the mix - My cdt is coming up to oil change time - 1500 miles to go. It has had Mobil I in for nearly 15000 mls - oil on dipstick still looks like new and has not needed topping up since the last service. However due to the price of Mobil 1 I am thinking of taking car to National Tyres who will do an oil and filter change for £22.50 using Visco 3000 fully synthetic - anyone got any thoughts?
icogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2007, 23:26   #15
JohnDotCom

Thats under half the price of Mobil 1 including the Filter, new Sump washer and Labour? Know nothing about the Oil or service there, but someone will be along shortly.
Old 2nd March 2007, 23:40   #16
icogger
Regular poster

75 Saloon CDT

Thanks for the welcome - I've come over from MG-Rover org. forum.
Apparently National do a proper drain etc inc labour for that price if booked on-line, apparently the oil is BMW specced I believe.
Getting a bit late now so will check back tomorrow
icogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 13:02   #17
MartinW

MG TF LE500

Sorry, been travelling!
OK, The national chains can buy in bulk so won't pay normal retail prices. But if you shop around I have managed to get Mobil1 at almost half Halford's price through trade.
Secondly, a little bit of a loss leader to see if they can flog you other parts and labour.
But there's no free lunch and whilst it may be BMW approved, as mentioned above some oils meet the requirements, some exceed it.
My personal opinion - these are complex cars and running one doesn't come cheap, therefore I would want to take mine to an approved service facility that will do a full service and that has T4 so they can identify any small issues before they get to be big issues or at least know the car well enough to know what's properly required of a service and how to spot possible issues.
MartinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 13:33   #18
yp53
Loves to post

ex- Rover 75 CDTi Tourer

An earlier post suggest that the EGR system is responsible (at least in part) for sooting-up of the oil. Does this mean that it might be a good idea to blank off the EGR system?

I hear different stories about pros and cons of cleaning the EGR valve system vs. blanking it off completely.
yp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 13:42   #19
bad-head-day
Loves to post

Citroen C4 Loeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by icogger View Post
However due to the price of Mobil 1 I am thinking of taking car to National Tyres who will do an oil and filter change for £22.50 using Visco 3000 fully synthetic - anyone got any thoughts?
That's a great price, I think they have a limit of 5l though - nope, I'm wrong it's 6l (I just checked).

bad-head-day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 16:14   #20
JohnDotCom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad-head-day View Post
That's a great price, I think they have a limit of 5l though - nope, I'm wrong it's 6l (I just checked).

No Good for the Diesel Engines then 6.4Litres!

Last edited by JohnDotCom; 5th March 2007 at 16:33..