Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th September 2019, 11:20   #11
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingers View Post
Can anyone recommend a "nothing is too hard" drill bit that would have a chance of drilling into this thing?

Many thanks again
Trouble is , these are a "this is too hard " grade 10.9 bolt ! You really need the things mounted in a drill stand
Try the stilsons tomorrow first before drilling ; hopefully they will do the trick
Do check that when you cut the bolt , you have in fact sawn through the threads and not through the plain shank . The cut line will be very close to the changeover from thread to shank. The latter will stop you unscrewing from the bottom !
Old 19th September 2019, 11:47   #12
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Like everyone else I’ve also had problems but have the luxury of a MIG welder, whenever something is seized and the risk of snapping high I weld a nut (or sometimes just a bar) onto whatever is giving me grief and the heat / expansion does magic. Last used this method when attacking the torx screws on top of the headlamp panel, never fails to work, but I always replace critical bolts as welding must affect the hardness.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2019, 21:10   #13
Tingers
Regular poster

Remapped Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTi SE Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Trouble is , these are a "this is too hard " grade 10.9 bolt ! You really need the things mounted in a drill stand
Try the stilsons tomorrow first before drilling ; hopefully they will do the trick
Do check that when you cut the bolt , you have in fact sawn through the threads and not through the plain shank . The cut line will be very close to the changeover from thread to shank. The latter will stop you unscrewing from the bottom !
UPDATE!!! - despite my neighbour scoffing at the size of my new stilson ( a whole 6 inches!) it did the trick. After MUCH heating and considerable effort I finally removed the threaded end of the bolt It fought to the last millimeter though - literally! Heating definitely helped so this weekend's task is to merely heat and hit out the unthreaded end.

Many thanks for all the advice.

She's the love of my life - the wife's not too bad either
Tingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2019, 14:19   #14
Tingers
Regular poster

Remapped Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTi SE Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingers View Post
UPDATE!!! - despite my neighbour scoffing at the size of my new stilson ( a whole 6 inches!) it did the trick. After MUCH heating and considerable effort I finally removed the threaded end of the bolt It fought to the last millimeter though - literally! Heating definitely helped so this weekend's task is to merely heat and hit out the unthreaded end.

Many thanks for all the advice.
Yeah - and now the bottom bracket has bent - opening up the gap so that the bolt holes don't align - and the half bolt is still resoundedly stuck fast Looks like a new hub assembly is required which, I guess, will also need a new bearing seeing as this one has done 158k. Does any member live in the Eastbourne area that has the necessary tool to replace the bearing? Feeling just a wee bit tired of it now.

She's the love of my life - the wife's not too bad either

Last edited by Tingers; 21st September 2019 at 16:39..
Tingers is offline   Reply With Quote