Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd March 2019, 17:05   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Tired and worn out

Wednesday rode 200 miles on a motorbike, thurdsay drove 200 miles then hours of diy then to my daughters passing out parade as a fireman. Today been to a scrap yard and more hours of diy.
We have knocked down and internal non load bearing wall and stud wall at my daughter and son in laws new home.
The kitchen is now looking a lot bigger.
Still deciding exact location of where to put the kitchen door.

Tomorrow, probably cutting holes for electrical sockets as the house needs a rewire.

So pleased with progress.

got 2 weeks planed to stay over and help.
The list contains, New fence, hang new doors, build stud wall, electrical preparation for wiring, change bathroom suite and anything else
we can squeeze in

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2019, 16:49   #2
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Wednesday rode 200 miles on a motorbike, thurdsay drove 200 miles then hours of diy then to my daughters passing out parade as a fireman. Today been to a scrap yard and more hours of diy.
We have knocked down and internal non load bearing wall and stud wall at my daughter and son in laws new home.
The kitchen is now looking a lot bigger.
Still deciding exact location of where to put the kitchen door.

Tomorrow, probably cutting holes for electrical sockets as the house needs a rewire.

So pleased with progress.

got 2 weeks planed to stay over and help.
The list contains, New fence, hang new doors, build stud wall, electrical preparation for wiring, change bathroom suite and anything else
we can squeeze in

macafee2
Certainly done the DIY at our place and my two sons places over the years. The satisfaction of doing things well/correctly is enormous.

I found it really sad to discover that most of the work done by so call “professionals” for the elderly couple in the house we are now in, was of such a low standard that it was bordering on Rip-Off.

When I built an extension on our previous house we called the building standards chap regularly to check things. He used to pop out regularly and he was always welcomed with a cuppa and a barrage of queries about how best to do things and how he wanted things done.

My wife said “I bet you are fed up with amateurs like us”.

He said “Absolutely not! - I trust you that you WANT to do things as they are supposed to be done - most builders I deal with are always trying to take short cuts!”
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2019, 16:59   #3
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Two years ago I was renovating my late Father in Laws’ house in preparation for sale.
I was removing a stud wall in the kitchen which was covering old redundant plumbing and found two separate twin & earth wiring connections which were simply twisted together. I’ve kept one in my workshop to show folks just how bad the wiring had been. On another socket there was a lead approx 2 feet long coming out of the back of a wall socket. It had simply been cut through and was still live.
Upstairs I found the wiring for one socket wrapped around the central heating pipes about a dozen times.
The house was ex council and had been “re wired” about 10 years earlier.
I also filled two wheelie bins with the rubbish left under the floor boards.

All this work had been done by “professional tradesmen”
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2019, 17:23   #4
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson View Post
Two years ago I was renovating my late Father in Laws’ house in preparation for sale.
I was removing a stud wall in the kitchen which was covering old redundant plumbing and found two separate twin & earth wiring connections which were simply twisted together. I’ve kept one in my workshop to show folks just how bad the wiring had been. On another socket there was a lead approx 2 feet long coming out of the back of a wall socket. It had simply been cut through and was still live.
Upstairs I found the wiring for one socket wrapped around the central heating pipes about a dozen times.
The house was ex council and had been “re wired” about 10 years earlier.
I also filled two wheelie bins with the rubbish left under the floor boards.

All this work had been done by “professional tradesmen”
Not as bad as that on the electrical side - but the same slapdash bodge it and scarper terrible workmanship.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2019, 18:46   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Weekends work is now over. We will still be making a mess but not to this extent again.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote