Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th December 2018, 10:39   #1
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Nhs 24

Well, great start to Christmas here. Yesterday my father was taken ill very early in morning. Bad stomach pains and he never moans about illness. To cut a long story short my mother phoned NHs 24 at 10am. Promised doctors visit in afternoon. No show. Called back at 7pm....very busy....blag, blah....then doctor miraculously appeared 15 minutes later. Looks like appendicitis so ambulance called. Finally in ambulance at ...10.30 PM.

More than 12 hours wait for an 80 year old in distressed state with probably appendicitis. Utterly ridiculous. Absolutely raging!

Now this is not a moan about the staff. All human interaction at house and ambulance was first rate. They were great particularly the doctor who had been out since 8am non stop.

This whole system is a joke. It is hopelessly understaffed and underesourced. When the ambulance appeared they were one of the Perth paramedic crews , not from ambulance station in same place they live or even Dundee. Their next port of call being a call in Anstruther at east end of Fife!

This is just not good enough. They have got to do something about this and sort it out. I am totally convinced lives are being put at risk with this and probably lost! We really should not be putting up with this nor should the NHS staff.

Very, very annoyed but will not say or do anything about this until all is well again but I am taking this further. Nobody else should be put through this. Just as well I was there all the time or my mother would have been frantic!

Chris
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2018, 11:48   #2
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Well the NHS in Scotland is totally devolved and what’s more via the Barnet formula every man woman and child in Scotland gets £1200 pa more than the U.K. average payment per individual.

Source - facts about NHS funding in Scotland - Gov.UK
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2018, 12:57   #3
cbr1100xx
Gets stuck in

VW touareg

Default Agree

Totally agree with you on this.
When I had my heart attack the wife dialled 999 and was told an ambulance was on its way but with no time scale.
She phoned back after 40 minutes and was told haven't sent one yet as none available.
Phoned the gp surgery and the Dr came straight round with a nurse,defibrillator, and lots of bags.
He phoned the ambulance service after 1 hr 20 mins and was told still no ambulance.
He had a few harsh words and was told one would be sent blue lights.
After 1 hr 50 mins he phoned air ambulance directly because of my condition.
10 minutes after that the ambulance came trundling round the corner with no blue lights.
There was then an argument between gp and crew over where to go and by what method of transport.
Air ambulance then arrived , hovered over a field , said the cloud was too low and NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- off leaving me with a 50 minute drive to hospital .
Had my attack at 11am and got into hospital at 1635 , where I was put on a ward.
Saw the Dr at 2245 and he called the team back in as I was still having the attack.
Drs and nurses are wonderful people , its the organization that's broke.

Stan
Old 24th December 2018, 13:30   #4
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Thumbs up

Sorry to hear of your experience Chris. If it's of any consolation south of the border might not be very different, we waited 10 hours for an ambulance for my 92-year old mother in March of this year. She fell upstairs in her bedroom breaking her wrist and her pelvis as we later found out in the hospital.

The front line staff were great but I would tend to agree in so much that our underlying feeling is that something is not right.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2018, 13:51   #5
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Hi Chris

That must have been awful, I hope all goes well.

Just a thought. Don't complain to the NHS trust, instead complain to your MSP's Willie Rennie and Claire Baker I believe. We pay more tax in Scotland for a reason. The NHS should be fully funded
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2018, 15:59   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

any reason a taxi was not called or someone gave him a lift to hospital?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2018, 16:06   #7
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Wishing your Dad a speedy recovery Chris.

233,320. New rear tyres on order for BBB.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2018, 17:27   #8
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

To many chiefs and not enough Indians is part of the problem apparently. A friends wife used to be a midwife, the shifts were crazy and a lot of the time there were only a couple of staff in even if they had 6 or more women in having baby's but several managers in there offices. On one occasion she was on her own and there were 5 women all in the final stages and she called her manager who was an ex midwife for assistance as she was ''just catching up on paperwork''. Her answer was ''she was to busy''.

The next day she quit, she felt she could no longer do her job safely and there was no chance of any assistance in the foreseeable future.

She now works as a nurse in a doctors practice.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2018, 19:20   #9
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Sorry to hear about your dad Chris, hope he makes a speedy recovery.

I know what you mean about the NHS, to be honest I think we fare better than our friends south of the border.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2018, 19:22   #10
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

Hope your dad makes a quick and full recovery Chris
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote