Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 24th February 2014, 01:09   #1
75Connie
Gets stuck in

R75 Connoisseur CDT (116PS) Saloon Auto; R75 Connoisseur CDT (116PS) Tourer Manual

Default Does using a Synergy module kill the High Pressure Fuel Pump

There have been a lot of threads recently about the improvements to general CDT operation that result from the 160 remap. In many of those threads the continued use of Synergy modules is highlighted as potentially ruinous to the high pressure fuel pump.

As a former Synergy user who still has the kit, and am thinking of reinstalling it, I wonder why these comments never seem to get challenged. And frankly, the silence from the Synergy side of the equation is a bit disconcerting.

I'm not asking for a rabid, uneducated debate or rant to start on this; however, I would like to see evidence- based perspectives, preferably from the principals, so that I can make educated choices as to future improvements to my car(s).

Specifically, I would like to see the following points addressed:

A) what exactly are the real world improvements claimed by each solution? By that I mean, performance improvements for normal drivers who conform to legal speed limits;

B) any damage that can occur (and why) from use of each solution
i) occasionally and
ii) constantly

C) side effects such as increased smoke, effects on MPG, hesitancy/lag/flat spots etc.

D) other items on the car that need to be fully within spec to achieve the expected results such as new Bosch MAF, EGR bypass etc.

Am I off the wall here or is this a reasonable request?
Old 24th February 2014, 02:52   #2
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

I can only answer the basic question with ref to my own car.

I have had the Synergy running on my car for about 4 years, I also had a Khaos remap soon after fitting the Synergy.

About two years ago, at 150K ish, I had an injector play up, and it was found the HP pump was underperforming so it was replaced. Were the two issues related? I rather doubt it....

I was also told, during a rolling road test that my car performed better with the Synergy turned off, this is NOT reflected in real life, the car is deff quicker with the Synergy working...

I have a working Bosh MAF, and run with the vac pipe that operates the EGR blocked off..

I tend to drive the car on the + side of normal, ave 30 mpg ish round town, and 45 mpg on long runs. IMO my car performs very well and is now on 175,000 miles...

Last edited by James.uk; 24th February 2014 at 02:54..
Old 24th February 2014, 07:20   #3
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts

A number of members have reported hp pump failure that can be directly related to the use of a plug in tuning box.

Tuning boxes make the hp pump run at a pressure it was not designed for, premature failure is inevitable.
Old 24th February 2014, 08:47   #4
wuzerk
Passed Away

Rover 75 CDT 03 auto Conn. SE

Default Synergy

Marinabrian always stresses the danger to the high pressure pump if using a tuning box and he certainly knows what he is talking about so I await his contribution.
Old 24th February 2014, 11:19   #5
tdi90
Gets stuck in

Nissan Navara

I ran a ford galaxy for 3 or 4 years with a synergy fitted and had no fuel pump issues.
I've ran my ZT for almost 2 years with a synergy fitted and had no fuel pump issues.

Cant see how anyone can 'prove' a tuning box knackered a fuel pump Any part will randomly fail with little or no warning if its got a few miles/years under its belt.

I volunteer to be a guinea pig!
Someone supply and fit a brand new HP fuel pump and a brand new synergy 2a+ to my car (free of charge of course) then we'll see IF or when it knackers the fuel pump.
Old 24th February 2014, 13:10   #6
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

Any remap or tuning box will put all the components I under various pressure.

Had you been talking pump failures on 3 year old components then yes, but even the youngest cars rolled off the line 8 years ago now which is something people forget.

So a high pressure pump failing after maybe 150k miles, and let's day the last 50k had a remap or tuning box on it, well I can't see the issue.

Natural wear and tear from an upgraded part already running massive pressure.
Old 24th February 2014, 13:18   #7
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

I have a Synergy.

My HP pump died and had to be replaced.

HP pump failure is pretty rare - but most people who've had it, had a Synergy.
Old 24th February 2014, 17:32   #8
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

All fifteen cases of HP failure I've seen have been on cars fitted with synergy, this has been the only common denominator between the cars.

Now I understand this is a fairly low number, however represents 100% of HP pump I have witnessed personally.

So draw your own conclusions as to why the car I bought with 63000 miles on the clock had the has the synergy 2 removed and binned, and not sold on to somebody else.

Brian
Old 24th February 2014, 17:58   #9
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

As we don't have the figures for failed HP pumps on cars with no tuners fitted, how can we make an informed judgement.

By the above, I mean nation wide, not just within this club...
Old 24th February 2014, 18:05   #10
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
As we don't have the figures for failed HP pumps on cars with no tuners fitted, how can we make an informed judgement.

By the above, I mean nation wide, not just within this club...
Exactly Bob, not every car fitted with a Synergy is going to experience HP failure, I'm only saying what I've witnessed personally, so a tiny fraction.

Many people like yourself are happy enough to run a RoverRon tuning module, and indeed do so without apparent issues.

I wouldn't have one fitted if I were paid, but that again is my opinion, not a personal endorsement, as I can view in real time exactly how these modules achieve
their performance gains

Brian
Closed Thread