Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 16th February 2013, 21:31   #1
rapid6
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T CDTi

Default synergy settings help

hi guys,

fitted synergy today, but wondered if someone could advise me on settings...im on setting 9 at mo and ****** hell its impressive, however im looking to use synergy to up my mpg as my car wasnt great in this dept. i have maf switched to on also, can someone give me some direction as i really dont know what it should be at.....thanks

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ooh Suits you...Sir!!
Old 16th February 2013, 21:41   #2
1gp
I really should get out more.......

mgzt, 135 cdti , manual , in solar red.also own a mgtf.

HI, has your car got a bosch maf? try settings from one upwards .. see what is best for your car... loads of threads on this subject use the search box for info , just type in " synergy settings.." it all depends how good your maf is really , on what mpg you will obtain . do you need the maf setting on ? alot find 5 quite good.. but every engine is different...
Old 16th February 2013, 21:58   #3
rapid6
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T CDTi

How do I know if I need maf on or not..?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ooh Suits you...Sir!!
Old 16th February 2013, 22:42   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Bosch MAF sensors rarely (if ever) fail with lower than expected airflow figures.
The recognised within spec figures of a Bosch MAF are 480mg per stroke at idle with a fully operational EGR, and between 720mg and 740mg per stroke at 3000 RPM.
So if your Bosch MAF is out of spec, figures of 530mg per stroke or above at idle, will not be assisted by amplification of the signal received by the ECM by the use of MAF compensation, but will be exacerbated instead.
Sure you will have a feel good factor when your over fuelling car over fuels a little bit more, but my advice would be to replace the MAF with a genuine Bosch unit if a diagnostic session dictates it's operation to be defective.
Also worthy of note here in the vein of MAF reliability, some people will advise that removal of the "bellows" section of the air intake pipe on the diesel will improve performance.
Sadly this will result in two main things.
1 the charge of air entering the engine will be warmer and less dense.
2 it will leave the MAF at the mercy of water spray contamination, due to atomised water passing through the air cleaner, thus contaminating the platinum "hot wire" sensor reducing it's effectiveness in short order.
Brian
Old 16th February 2013, 23:00   #5
rapid6
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T CDTi

Emmmmmm

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ooh Suits you...Sir!!
Old 16th February 2013, 23:12   #6
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid6 View Post
Emmmmmm
Translation.....
Unless you have a Pierburg MAF, leave the MAFAM section turned off
Brian
Old 17th February 2013, 00:31   #7
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Bosch MAF sensors rarely (if ever) fail with lower than expected airflow figures.
The recognised within spec figures of a Bosch MAF are 480mg per stroke at idle with a fully operational EGR, and between 720mg and 740mg per stroke at 3000 RPM.
So if your Bosch MAF is out of spec, figures of 530mg per stroke or above at idle, will not be assisted by amplification of the signal received by the ECM by the use of MAF compensation, but will be exacerbated instead.
Sure you will have a feel good factor when your over fuelling car over fuels a little bit more, but my advice would be to replace the MAF with a genuine Bosch unit if a diagnostic session dictates it's operation to be defective.
Also worthy of note here in the vein of MAF reliability, some people will advise that removal of the "bellows" section of the air intake pipe on the diesel will improve performance.
Sadly this will result in two main things.
1 the charge of air entering the engine will be warmer and less dense.
2 it will leave the MAF at the mercy of water spray contamination, due to atomised water passing through the air cleaner, thus contaminating the platinum "hot wire" sensor reducing it's effectiveness in short order.
Brian
Regret I do not agree that removing bellows from air duct leads to effect 1 and or 2 as above, but will certainly lead to a better and less restricted air flow, but then what do I know I have been running like this for 8 years no problems whatsoever, so do not worry about removing the bellows, if anything it will stop water spray from entering and destroying the MAF, if your performance below 1800-2000rpm is poor then unplug MAF, if performance improves the MAG is dead, buy a Pierburg one from Roveron, then relax and enjoy your new car.
Old 17th February 2013, 06:32   #8
rasa
Gets stuck in

bmw 335d e92se and 330d sport e90

Default me rapid6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid6 View Post
hi guys,

fitted synergy today, but wondered if someone could advise me on settings...im on setting 9 at mo and ****** hell its impressive, however im looking to use synergy to up my mpg as my car wasnt great in this dept. i have maf switched to on also, can someone give me some direction as i really dont know what it should be at.....thanks
hi its me who you bought it from , pleased to see you enjoyed it, i only sold it as i have the 160 map. the synergy still give it more of an oomph with the map, but was sick of all the smoke when booting it, without the map and synergy fitted was manageable but still a little smoke, as someone has pointed out, try every setting starting from 1 for say a week, then you will find a happy medium,you will enjoy it, then try i few settings with the compensation turned on,then try it with the synergy turned off,then after a few days put it on the most powerful setting that matches your car, and you will see the difference,hope you got it fitted ok as its a while since you bought it.
Old 17th February 2013, 09:46   #9
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
Regret I do not agree that removing bellows from air duct leads to effect 1 and or 2 as above, but will certainly lead to a better and less restricted air flow, but then what do I know I have been running like this for 8 years no problems whatsoever, so do not worry about removing the bellows, if anything it will stop water spray from entering and destroying the MAF, if your performance below 1800-2000rpm is poor then unplug MAF, if performance improves the MAG is dead, buy a Pierburg one from Roveron, then relax and enjoy your new car.

Having seen the long term affects of MAF degeneration, this is accelerated considerably by this particular "performance mod" which is nothing more than a placebo, and actually reduces performance slightly.
Air flow figures for a compensated Pierburg MAF are as follows

Idle 510mg per stroke
3000 RPM 610mg per stroke

This is opposed to a Bosch MAF

Idle 480mg per stroke
3000 RPM 720mg per stroke.

So what do these figures mean, with the Pierburg fitted, your car will be overfuelling at low speeds and underfuelling at higher speeds.

The Pierburg MAF may have been a reasonable compromise when Bosch MAF units cost over £250, but now with the price of the real unit being just over £100, there is no need

Brian

Last edited by marinabrian; 19th February 2013 at 00:17..
Old 17th February 2013, 20:26   #10
rapid6
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T CDTi

right today ive got it set at no7 with synergy and maf on.....
fitted in 10 minutes which was straight forward enough.....just a bit confusing as i dont fully understand the tech stuff about mafs etc.
yesterday it was 9 and ****** hell, couldnt believe it was the same car

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ooh Suits you...Sir!!
Closed Thread