Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd January 2007, 22:30   #21
Simon
Banned

-

Cyclonic Filtration: Part 2.

Is it theoretically possible to filter water from air using a cyclone - Yes.
Can you do it at home - No.

It's just too darned difficult!

Seriously - You need to work out what the size of water vapour is (average) and then work out what dimensions and gradients should be used for the cyclone chamber plus you then need to carefully control the air flow - ie you would have to use forced-induction in order to generate sufficient airflow rates in order to sustain a cyclone. Anything less would cause the cyclone to collapse and allow all those water droplets back into the airbox. You'd also need somewhere for the water and dust partcicles trapped in the cyclone to be deposited in such away that they did not cause a blockage - but you couldn't just use a bigger vent hole as it would effect the cyclone...

... Does your brain hurt yet?

I think we can safely say this is not feasible in all reality - sorry folks!
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2007, 22:35   #22
mantianak
I really should get out more.......

ZT 190+ Saloon

Ditto.

The link says it's only 50% efficient, big particles are removed better than small ones. Not perfect but still reduces it some what though.
If rigged so air enters the cyclone direct or with a ram duct, the cyclone should become more efficient with speed. The faster you drive, the more particles it kicks out.
If the dirt exit was near a moving slip stream (exiting somewhere on the surface of or below the car), it may also increase the amount filter (or cycloned) out.

Problem is the ducts needed are large for a car. Might as well use a Dyson vacuum cleaner if it fits!

And by the way, can anybody think of more words in the English dictionary that have two U’s next to each other? So far I got vacuum and continuum.
mantianak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2007, 22:36   #23
Simon
Banned

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantianak View Post
And by the way, can anybody think of more words in the English dictionary that have two U’s next to each other? So far I got vacuum and continuum.
Uummm...
Old 2nd January 2007, 22:43   #24
Simon
Banned

-

Back to the water issue.....

The best way to stop water-ingress would be to construct a labrynth or a splash-guard to 'catch' the water and allow it to drain out (any remaining vapour should then be okay for the filter to deal with or not sufficient to cause problems with the engine)

What I'm aiming for here is a comprimise - something which will 'catch' spray and splashes but that will not necesarily prevent large volumes (eg flooded roads) from entering the ducting (this I can prevent by simply not driving through them).

I'm always thinking and trying to evolve my set-up to make it even better so any tips and information are all gratefully recieved.

The two-vent piping I am looking to install with also help prevent water ingress because if one duct becomes submerged or blocked air will simply be drawn from the other duct as it is the route of less resistance.

Also leaving a gap between the duct opening and the bumper will help stop splashes reaching the ducting.
Old 2nd January 2007, 23:03   #25
mantianak

ZT 190+ Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon D View Post
The best way to stop water-ingress would be to construct a labrynth or a splash-guard to 'catch' the water and allow it to drain out (any remaining vapour should then be okay for the filter to deal with or not sufficient to cause problems with the engine)
Maybe a large chunk of that garden pond filer sponge. Comes in various grades. The duct can be mounted at the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon D View Post
The two-vent piping I am looking to install with also help prevent water ingress because if one duct becomes submerged or blocked air will simply be drawn from the other duct as it is the route of less resistance.
The best way to avoid flood water is to have a boot scoop or hood scoop, both of which would look silly on a 75.
I doubt there's any way of doing so, but the best location (for water protection) would be central, behind the front grill at the top. No splash, no flooding, but engine heat and not enough room.

An S bend with a small drainage hole at the dip?

Some of the aluminium ducting I've on sale have lot of tiny holes. I assume this is to let drain any liquids trapped inside
Old 2nd January 2007, 23:32   #26
Simon
Banned

-

Problem with other filter mediums is that they don't allow enough free-flow of air through them otherwise it would be ideal. Unfortunetely you can't have both free-flowing AND water-stopping capabilities.

I'm opting for a free-flowing system, but this is not to say my way is the right way or the only way. I'm fully aware of the need for water protection so it's up to the individual to decide which route they want to choose. :lol:
Old 3rd January 2007, 18:50   #27
NOCTURNAL
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-260SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantianak View Post
Ditto.

individuum
menstruum
mutuum
paramenstruum
residuum
triduum
ultravacuum

forgive the OT I'm a bit bored
NOCTURNAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 18:52   #28
Simon
Banned

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOCTURNAL View Post
Bored?

Hadn't noticed.....
Old 3rd January 2007, 19:23   #29
NOCTURNAL
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-260SE

chuckle .....

I should have said...not with the topic :P with being stuck in at home with my leg up

Nick
NOCTURNAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 19:36   #30
mantianak

ZT 190+ Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOCTURNAL View Post
Good idea. I didn't think of using a puzzel solving site. I think I'll be on it for hours now.

What word has the fewest letters and has two U's next to each other?

Last edited by mantianak; 3rd January 2007 at 19:39..