Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st February 2012, 03:14   #31
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

>>>Decent intake, better exhaust, uprated disc's, pads and stainless brake lines and better tyres and it'll be money better spent<<<

Intake.. Hmm, I have yet to see any proof that they make one iota of difference to anything.
Better exhaust, better than what? The exhaust system was designed for my car and is hidden anyway.. ..
Can't "upgrade" the brakes without fitting non standard wheels. So I will keep the wheels that were made for the car.
Stainless brake pipes already done.. tyres are all less than 12 months old.

None of the above would have or did alter the way my car drives at all...

But the tuning certainly did.. heh heh....

The old diesels should last long enough to see me out, so I wont have to go back to petrol again.. (tuhh) lol .....
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 08:58   #32
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

id just make sure the vis motors are working ,a non working vis compared to working ones would make the car seem alot slower ,check the vis motors cos it sounds to me that your not happy with the power of the car . .. air induction kits are just for show . i have not seen any that increase the power just sounds a bit more meaty ... as said if you go aheadand have a remap it is gonna just be drinking more fuel as if the power is there your gonna use it
Old 21st February 2012, 21:16   #33
PhilR75
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Personally I would avoid any of these tuning options for Rover 75 petrol engines. How many of these re-tunes are carried out whilst monitoring component (e.g. exhaust port, catalyst brick etc.) temperatures, in-cylinder pressures, knock activity and the like. The Rover calibrations were the result of a huge amount of mapping optimisation for the harware configuration of the standard car. Any company like those mentioned here are inevitably not going to be as safe in terms of durability. As for diesels I was involved with the M47 re-cailbration at Longbridge and learnt a lot about diesel calibration in the process. Here (although this was a very carefully engineered exercise) more fuel at the higher pedal demands did obviously give more torque, but this had to be balanced against smoke values which were kept within the legal limits - something highly unlikely with most kits I would bet. All the OBD functionality of the diesel was overchecked and validated on the new tune, and the emissions performance of the "unchipped" version was maintained with the higher output tune. Even this simple remap involved many months of painstaking work. The 300 Nm torque limit was viewed at the time as pushing things as far as the auto gearbox was concerned. I don't mean to sound negative, but...
PhilR75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 21:43   #34
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilR75 View Post
Personally I would avoid any of these tuning options for Rover 75 petrol engines. How many of these re-tunes are carried out whilst monitoring component (e.g. exhaust port, catalyst brick etc.) temperatures, in-cylinder pressures, knock activity and the like. The Rover calibrations were the result of a huge amount of mapping optimisation for the harware configuration of the standard car. Any company like those mentioned here are inevitably not going to be as safe in terms of durability. As for diesels I was involved with the M47 re-cailbration at Longbridge and learnt a lot about diesel calibration in the process. Here (although this was a very carefully engineered exercise) more fuel at the higher pedal demands did obviously give more torque, but this had to be balanced against smoke values which were kept within the legal limits - something highly unlikely with most kits I would bet. All the OBD functionality of the diesel was overchecked and validated on the new tune, and the emissions performance of the "unchipped" version was maintained with the higher output tune. Even this simple remap involved many months of painstaking work. The 300 Nm torque limit was viewed at the time as pushing things as far as the auto gearbox was concerned. I don't mean to sound negative, but...
Sorry, but as I said in an earlier post, if your negative attitude was typical, there wouldn't be a tuning industry....

Manufacturers are notoriously conservative because they are desperate to avoid gaining a reputation for unreliability and want to minimisw warranty claims that eat into their meagre profits.
This explains why engine tuning, whether petrol or diesel has been so successful and has not resulted in expensive breakdowns for the vast majority of those who take the plunge.
In fact reliability is far more affected by how the vehicle is treated and maintained than by tuning it.
Finally, on our congested roads you simply cannot use the extra performance for any length of time so the additonal stresses imposed by tuning are short lived. But conversely, having quicker overtaking ability is both safer and avoids frustration at being stuck behind a slow moving vehicle when the road ahead is otherwise clear.

Ron
Old 21st February 2012, 21:56   #35
438brad
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T 260 SE (#491)

If a car is meticulously maintained (as it should be) there is no problem tuning them. My Holden started life as a 'basic' 5.7 V8 with around 400 bhp. After a turbo, intake, exhaust, cams, remap, NOS, etc. etc. it is still my daily driver (even with 600bhp at the back wheels without NOS)! It has been in this state of tune for over 5 years. The car has been totally reliable and meticulously maintained.

Holden HSV GTS 5.7 V8. Turboed and Nos
'98 Honda Fireblade
Mercedes Vito

Never mind the power, feel the torque!
438brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 21:59   #36
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

If you want to go quickly, buy a 260 and bolt a Kenne Bell on it!
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 22:00   #37
PhilR75
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverron View Post
Sorry, but as I said in an earlier post, if your negative attitude was typical, there wouldn't be a tuning industry....

Manufacturers are notoriously conservative because they are desperate to avoid gaining a reputation for unreliability and want to minimisw warranty claims that eat into their meagre profits.
This explains why engine tuning, whether petrol or diesel has been so successful and has not resulted in expensive breakdowns for the vast majority of those who take the plunge.
In fact reliability is far more affected by how the vehicle is treated and maintained than by tuning it.
Finally, on our congested roads you simply cannot use the extra performance for any length of time so the additonal stresses imposed by tuning are short lived. But conversely, having quicker overtaking ability is both safer and avoids frustration at being stuck behind a slow moving vehicle when the road ahead is otherwise clear.

Ron

Although I said I might appear negative, I think cautious is probably a fairer label. I agree with your comments as to why manufacturers are so concerned about warranty failures. I worked independently to MG Rover on their projects, and I believe my remarks about the standard of care involved in the OEM and aftermarket tuning processes are fully justified. You are right in saying that the length of time that components are exposed to the higher stresses is limited, but nevertheless they exist. It explains why a colleague of mine (who worked on the ZT calibrations at Longbridge) had the engine in his Discovery fail months after a tuning exercise with hardware mods including a larger intercooler and a remap. I agree that many people take a different view from me, and as you say, that's why there's a healthy market for tuning packages.
PhilR75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 22:02   #38
438brad
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T 260 SE (#491)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoodles View Post
If you want to go quickly, buy a 260 and bolt a Kenne Bell on it!
Nah, buy a turbo Holden HSV!!!

Holden HSV GTS 5.7 V8. Turboed and Nos
'98 Honda Fireblade
Mercedes Vito

Never mind the power, feel the torque!
438brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 22:22   #39
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Re the auto box. I personally am very carefull not to give my car too much welly too quickly! I just feed it in as smoothly as I can, rather than plant my foot on the floor.. but once the car is well into 3rd gear I feel safe to use as much power as I need..

Rightly or wrongly, I think planting my foot on the floor from being stationary would be asking for trouble..

BTW. I have very heavy treads on my front tyres.. Uniroyal rain expert.. they don't give any wheelspin as such.... .On a damp road, pulling out onto a main road with a lot of lock on can be tricky if you're heavy footed. The car wants to dance on its front wheels and go almost straight on! .. lol... On a dry road it results in the front wheels bouncing... Not a good idea at all...

Like everything else, if you're carefull, the extra power is a real bonus, and can even be fun at times...

Last edited by James.uk; 21st February 2012 at 23:18..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote