Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th February 2012, 13:44   #11
bayley

MG ZT 190+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
James,

"Depending upon how you drive" is the key phrase. What's the point in increased power if you're going to drive gently because you want to improve fuel consumption?

As others have said, regular high quality servicing and attention to things like the VIS actuators are the way to keep your engine running efficiently. It's not as glamorous as remapping though. The KV6 is relatively thirsty unless at a steady cruising speed, and you don't need more bhp for that!

Simon.
A bit more bhp never does any harm. Especially when i'm on a track day
bayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2012, 23:09   #12
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Never ceases to make me laugh when people have got 190 bhp, and want to get rid of their money for a few more horses. And perhaps you are now going to tell me that you can take 2 seconds off the 0-60 time!!!.And that your top speed is now150mph. And perhaps you will tell me how many times you will use it? Yes i know that your overtaking time will be less between the all important 50-80mph. And then you will be moaning about how the mpg has gone from an average of 28...................to 22,if you are lucky.Then you have ruined the engine,and need a new one.
Rant over. Glad i have got the diesel. Cruises 80-90 mph on the continent, return's over 50 mpg, and don't get many going past, same over here. I keep my money in my pocket,but i suppose i am an old man with a ROVER 75.
Old 19th February 2012, 23:20   #13
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

I too have the diesel 75, and have had the Khaos remap done...... Oh and I also have a synergy2 fitted.

MPG? It hasn't changed much as I was always a bit heavy footed.. I'm no boy racer, but neither do I hang about..

I don't mess about breaking the 30 MPH limits, but given an Mway on a nice day, with good visibility, and light traffic, I like nothing more than giving the car some welly innit..

Last edited by James.uk; 19th February 2012 at 23:28..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 11:50   #14
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Never ceases to make me laugh when people have got 190 bhp, and want to get rid of their money for a few more horses. And perhaps you are now going to tell me that you can take 2 seconds off the 0-60 time!!!.And that your top speed is now150mph. And perhaps you will tell me how many times you will use it? Yes i know that your overtaking time will be less between the all important 50-80mph. And then you will be moaning about how the mpg has gone from an average of 28...................to 22,if you are lucky.Then you have ruined the engine,and need a new one.
Rant over. Glad i have got the diesel. Cruises 80-90 mph on the continent, return's over 50 mpg, and don't get many going past, same over here. I keep my money in my pocket,but i suppose i am an old man with a ROVER 75.
Thankfully, you're old man views are in the minority or there wouldn't be much of a tuning industry in the UK!!

I'd never drive an 'off the shelf' vehicle - you can always improve them without affecting the reliability and will usually get better mpg.

I suppose its a case of what you've never had you won't miss!

Ron
Old 20th February 2012, 15:00   #15
Brek
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 180+ 2.5 V6 Manual

As a non mechanic or engine designer, the wealth of add on tuning bits leaves me bewlidered, and frankly wondering if they actually work, for e.g. the Siemens ecu in my zt I am lead to believe it is un-mapable due to security measures, but companies are offering maps for them. I could fool t4 into downloaded the 190 map into my 160, but beyond that? OK could add piper cams (a lot of dosh for a few bhp more) I could see if its possible to advance the timing to use 99 ron fuel, so I think the pound wise amoungst us question they value of some of the stuff out there, that being said I am interested in what can be done. As with a 160 base point I know there are at least 30 extra to be had.
Brek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 15:21   #16
438brad
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T 260 SE (#491)

In my opinion and going off previous experience I would say it is not worth spending money tuning a normally aspirated engine with a few notable exceptions like the old Vauxhall ' red top' which you can get an extra 50 bhp out of relatively cheaply. You can only get good gains after spending thousands of pounds and it just isn't worth it. If you want to get any real power you need to either turbo or supercharge which still costs a lot but you get significant gains.
I have 'chipped' a couple of cars in the past, the last one being a Golf VR6 with stainless exhaust and induction and if I'm honest the gains were hardly noticeable in the real world (but certainly made the car feel faster due to the noise). There definately was an improvement in driveability though as the car was a lot more responsive but I would never chip or re-map a normally aspirated car again as the gains (and the loading on insurance) just aren't worth it.

Holden HSV GTS 5.7 V8. Turboed and Nos
'98 Honda Fireblade
Mercedes Vito

Never mind the power, feel the torque!
438brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 15:29   #17
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brek View Post
As a non mechanic or engine designer, the wealth of add on tuning bits leaves me bewlidered, and frankly wondering if they actually work, for e.g. the Siemens ecu in my zt I am lead to believe it is un-mapable due to security measures, but companies are offering maps for them. I could fool t4 into downloaded the 190 map into my 160, but beyond that? OK could add piper cams (a lot of dosh for a few bhp more) I could see if its possible to advance the timing to use 99 ron fuel, so I think the pound wise amoungst us question they value of some of the stuff out there, that being said I am interested in what can be done. As with a 160 base point I know there are at least 30 extra to be had.
NASP petrol engines never give big gains*, but often a bit more mid range torque, better throttle response and improved mpg are possible with a remap.

*as you would expect unless you can get more air in.

Now my DS3 1.6 petrol turbo is another matter!
154 bhp as standard and over 200 (as high as 225 apparently) easily if not cheaply achievable.
With induction kit, FMIC, exhaust, Synergy 3 and decat, I'm expecting 200 and 200lbs ft torque and 37-40mpg. I wouldn't like to go higher without Wossner pistons.

Its a nippy and refined machine..PSA have re-invented the petrol engine to a surprisng extent - 11psi boost, 10.5:1 CR, direct injection as standard, max torque at 1400rpm.

Ron
Old 20th February 2012, 15:58   #18
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

My car was a 116 bhp when I bought it, and in truth a real "sleepy" car to drive, I think my lil ZX could have caught it! And that has been passed by canal boats, and ladies pushing prams..

But that was easily cured by one of Ron's Synergy2 units.. After that, even before the Khaos remap, the car was very nice to drive..

Tuning is much cheaper and far easier now cars have ECUs innit..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 16:13   #19
d_a_n1979
Banned

2004 MG ZT-T 190+

Waste of money IMO

For a few horses it's not worth it

Decent intake, better exhaust, uprated discs, pads and stainless brake lines and better tyres and it'll be money better spent
d_a_n1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 16:14   #20
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
My car was a 116 bhp when I bought it, and in truth a real "sleepy" car to drive, I think my lil ZX could have caught it! And that has been passed by canal boats, and ladies pushing prams..

But that was easily cured by one of Ron's Synergy2 units.. After that, even before the Khaos remap, the car was very nice to drive..

Tuning is much cheaper and far easier now cars have ECUs innit..
Sadly, due to the ever increasing emissions hardware being fitted, tuning diesels is more difficult and the latest ecu's cannot be remapped (currently all VAG diesels) without opening up the ecu which is not a good idea whilst the car is under warranty.
The hateful dpf is the worst thing ever to happen to a diesel and has turned many into a diesel with petrol motor charactistics and with a 4000rpm rev limit. IE you have to use revs and gearchanges to get anywhere thanks to the limited low down torque that was the hallmark of the diesel.

"For urban use, buy a petrol" - never thought I'd ever say that...
Ron