Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th October 2011, 20:49   #41
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
Been wanting to do this for ages, finally got round to it.
Had to cut the engine cover a bit (although I did it a lot more than I needed to, ooops)

Throttle response seems a little better (although could be a placebo). Doesn't sound any different.
The diesels do vibrate a fair bit so worth keeping an eye on the hose to make sure holes don't start appearing.

Mike
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 21:12   #42
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder View Post
Just a question after watching this post. Has anyone worked out the difference in area between the standard inlet been opened and modified, and the inlet of this mod. Surley the bigger the inlet the more the volume will be. Also will the friction in the length of this mod not hinder the volume of air getting into the filter ?

Just asking.

Craig
That's a fair point.
But a simpler way is to try to measure a change in performance with a stop watch (various 20mph increments, not the 0-60 time). If there is none and mpg is also unchanged then where's the advantage over my mk2 intake mod which some turn their noses up at?

I am all for things that have a positive effect or are done for a reason: one of the reasons for the mk2 mod was to reduce the chances of spray ingestion.

Fitting a duct where the intake is too low or in a place where spray penetrates is also not a good idea.

Ron
Old 12th October 2011, 09:16   #43
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverron View Post
That's a fair point.
But a simpler way is to try to measure a change in performance with a stop watch (various 20mph increments, not the 0-60 time). If there is none and mpg is also unchanged then where's the advantage over my mk2 intake mod which some turn their noses up at?

I am all for things that have a positive effect or are done for a reason: one of the reasons for the mk2 mod was to reduce the chances of spray ingestion.

Fitting a duct where the intake is too low or in a place where spray penetrates is also not a good idea.

Ron
i've done the mod as above- I have removed the trim next to fog lamp to allow air in. I have hooked up my scangague and this shows the air inlet temperature to be much cooler than the mk2 intake mod. I will do some further finding and post the results.
Departed 32016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 10:35   #44
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieranswood View Post
i've done the mod as above- I have removed the trim next to fog lamp to allow air in. I have hooked up my scangague and this shows the air inlet temperature to be much cooler than the mk2 intake mod. I will do some further finding and post the results.
Please beware of spray and flood water being sucked in. No vehicle I'm come across has its air intake much lower than bonnet slam panel height.

Recent ones (eg Subaru & DS3) have a water trap between the intake and filter.
The intake is in the usual place under the slam panel, but on the DS3, there is no direct connection to the air filter, and on the Subaru, there is a large plenum chamber with a drain inside the airbox, before the filter.

Ron
Old 12th October 2011, 11:34   #45
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Contemporary SE 2.0 Diesel Auto 2005 Facelift

Ron

Didn't the early Espace have a low air intake?
I think they even had to replace a few engines as a result.

SteveN
Cruise Control; FBH with GSM (was FrenchMike's Remote) & dash button; Rear Blind; In-line Thermostat; wired in front & rear cameras; Mercedes DRL +DRL2; twin horns, twin usb power outlets, digital coolant temperature readout, Real Walnut dash, Walnut & black leather steering wheel, Towbar with full Rover harness.
Rear seat cup holders.

Mods to do: all done , need to come up with some more.
sln8458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 14:47   #46
Singvogel
Gets stuck in

75 CDT, 1966 2000TC P6, TD4-M47

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Flow of a fluid (air) is a function of the pressure / the size of the pipe /its length and the smoothness of the pipes bore bends etc..

How you work it out, I don't have a clue
Fascinating thread this.

I do have a clue about the above. In a previous life I spent 7 years in Saudi Arabia teaching it! Air Conditioning trunking that is.

You need to keep the pipes as straight as possible with bends 45 degrees max.
To go round a 90 degree bend its better to have 2 X 45 degrees if you follow me.

The trunking hose in the photos (a neat job and very impressive) will create turbulence. It would be better to have hose which is smooth on the inside rather than the corrugated effect.

The M47R engine air filter and then the subsequent turbo pipe-work takes air on a round tour of the engine so we need to not add to the bends there already.

I agree totally with RoverRon who is warning of low down spray intake.
Beware the winter and salty motorway spray when overtaking big trucks!

Better to have a bit shorter pipe terminating higher up with a trumpet / funnel type intake. Check the silicone hose suppliers on eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3304280256...#ht_1935wt_876

My TD4 has the same air filter box as you guys and I have a 70mm hose with an alloy ram pipe inlet instead of the thing resembling a toilet cistern that LandRover fitted.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 16:02   #47
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Watching Ed China replace the pancake airfilter on an old Mustang (Wheeler Dealers on Discoturbo) reminded me that in the bygone era of carburettors, it was common place for the intake to suck in warm air from within the engine compartment and the oem intake could even be rotated to draw air over the exhaust manifold in the winter.

The latest diesels also have controlled intake temperature by bypassing the intercooler at low boost.

In very cold weather I suspect the mpg will drop a lot more if the engine is breathing very cold air and it will take longer for the engine to reach operating temperature. The M47r is an efficient engine and mine used to take 10miles to reach normal operating temps in winter even with the mk2 intake mod.

So, overall, I still feel that my intake Mk2 is still the best option, especially if we are in for another very long and cold winter.

I'd also be sticking some cardboard in front of the rad if I was doing short journeys..

Ron
Old 17th October 2011, 16:24   #48
Colonel Mustard
Loves to post

75 CTDi Auto Limousine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sln8458 View Post
Ron

Didn't the early Espace have a low air intake?
I think they even had to replace a few engines as a result.

SteveN
Doesn't the new Mini have a low air intake and also suffer from the same hydrolocking problem?
Colonel Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 20:30   #49
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

Not happy with the 76mm so going to buy a 70mm do you think this will fit?
Departed 32016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 21:16   #50
Singvogel
Gets stuck in

75 CDT, 1966 2000TC P6, TD4-M47

I don't see why it shouldn't.

The entrance to my air filter housing is a sort of oval shape and the 70mm hose fitted a treat.

As far as I can see all the M47Rs have the same filter housing with the hole for the oil filler cap as part of the moulding.

They came from BMW like that and the different cars they were fitted to meant that the rest of the air intake parts were different.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote