Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th October 2011, 19:45   #311
Union Wheels
Loves to post

Honda Accord Tourer i dtec

Sorry Mike, (post 311)
Just re-read you post 310 and realised you went from Portsmouth to Aberdeen (not home). This works out at a little over 41 mpg, but I still stand by the rest of my post.

Cheers Pete.

How to Retrofit Diesel Cruise Control + Loom
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...87&postcount=1

How to Modify a 3 Speed Fan for CDT & V6 into a 2 Speed with a Resistor.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=209920

CDT now gone to new owner, but still on forum
Union Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2011, 19:50   #312
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

I did do a bit better than 40mpg - the distance travelled was showing as 618 miles, and the tank still had some fuel in it, so probably around 49mpg. Thing is the car has always done around 48 to the gallon from new. Now I know the OBD reading isn't that accurate but the thing is it hasn't dropped over time either.

Whilst I'm not that much of a tree hugger I do like to do my bit for the environment where I can so won't be bypassing my EGR.

Good job we don't have particulate filters though!

Mike

Last edited by Mike Noc; 6th October 2011 at 19:00..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 21:04   #313
bob47
Regular poster

ROVER 75 CDTI

Default Spring Mod

Did you get the helper Spring from Rover Ron.
Did you tale any pics when fitting.
How can I do a DIY job?

Thanks
bob47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2011, 07:47   #314
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob47 View Post
Did you get the helper Spring from Rover Ron.
Did you tale any pics when fitting.
How can I do a DIY job?

Thanks
I've not had any springs for a while, due to losing the part no. You really need to check the pressure via the obd port using a generic code reader that can also display live data.

Ron
Old 14th October 2011, 07:57   #315
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Its each to his own as far as the egr bypass is concerned.

From an emissions viewpoint, the whole idea falls down because the parts are not reliable. The maf goes out of spec and as this is used to regulate exhaust gas recirculation amount (as well as its main job), the egr valve gums up and can stick and the pcv valve cloggs up.

On older vehicles, the amount of piston blow by increases and the clogged pcv vave leads to a greater amount of oil in the intake. This leads to the more rapid and extensive accumulation of crud on the egr valve.

So, overall, once the vehicle approaches 100k miles, I come down in favour of a bypass or you could just do some regular cleaning.

I'm afraid, that like the dpfs, all this emisisons hardware and theory is fine on newish engines, but once things wear, go out of spec, seize up and suffer from less than perfect maintenance, they become almost useless... DPF's increase the co2 footprint as well, because they burn extra fuel when regenerating and if the regen doesn't have time to finish, the extra fuel ends up in the sump diluting the oil. So if you ever buy a town runabout, make sure it doesn't have a dpf or buy a petrol motor!
Ron
Old 28th October 2012, 18:07   #316
Barnowlnoddy
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Conn Tourer CDTi

If it was good enough for the designers and builders, then so say I! Why some choose to question the design I have always had problems with. They must, after all, have spent valuable time and stood great costs to finish up with an engine with the all round capabilities of our Diesel. Mine stays has is and will receive the best attention from myself as and when needed - usually every 6 months regardless of mileage covered.
Barnowlnoddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 18:20   #317
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnowlnoddy View Post
If it was good enough for the designers and builders, then so say I! Why some choose to question the design I have always had problems with. They must, after all, have spent valuable time and stood great costs to finish up with an engine with the all round capabilities of our Diesel. Mine stays has is and will receive the best attention from myself as and when needed - usually every 6 months regardless of mileage covered.
I agree no trouble to clean EGR and change the PCV filter every six or twleve months maybe take in doing the manifold at the same time bit like spring cleaning not that i know anything about spring cleaning mind as my dear wife will not let me lift a finger in that department (Phew) got out of that quite good no seriously i would leave as it should be too my opinion only Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 18:34   #318
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnowlnoddy View Post
Unfortunately, like many engine parts, its not designed to work trouble free and 100% correctly for the life of the vehicle - its produced as cheaply as possible to last the warranty period and no more. (this is even more true to day and applies even to the 'premium' brands)

So, yes, it is fine for adept & fastidious owners to clean it and check that it continues to operate properly but its a dirty job and most owners would rather get rid for once and for all by fitting a bypass.

From an emissions view point, because of their unreliability, overall I suspect the benefits are minimal because malfunctioning ones (like the maf sensor that is used to control it) cause even more pollution.

Egr valve, maf sensors, dpfs - all great in theory but in practice not the answer to vehicle pollutants. The real answer to these is to reduce vehicle numbers, ban gas guzzlers, prove the need before you can by a 4x4 etc etc Fat hypocritical chance!

Ron
Old 28th October 2012, 22:53   #319
samurai
Regular poster

Rover75 saloon

My car runs better it revs a lot easier and my fuel consumption hasnt altered .
samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2014, 08:56   #320
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Well two years have passed since I posted on this thread and in that time I have changed my EGR and manifold for a clean one three times, and the car as ran great I of cause have a spare EGR and manifold for those that don't cleaning them out once a year one weekend would only take about 3 hours of your time.

But of cause you may be one of the members whom decided to change to a bypass EGR if so I would still recommend you cleaned out your manifold and clean the MAP sensor as it will have inevitably be clogged up over the years.

This is from a members manifold which I changed this year for him.

Along with the EGR

below are some recent pics of another change I did on my sons MG ZT diesel

MAP sensor

EGR cleaned

Always nice to do ready for the hard winter the car as to go through cheers Arctic

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote