Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd October 2011, 20:03   #11
ssizefive
I really should get out more.......

Mg Tf160

I would think you should be getting more than that out of it, i get around 26ish out of my 2.5V6 auto around town.

Steve.
ssizefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 20:12   #12
bigcar
Loves to post

Sep 2003 Rover 75 Club SE, 105000 Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffWW View Post
Hello All,

This is my first entry on this side.

Last Wednesday, I made my first long journey - Manchester to Keswick and back, with a stop of ten hours inbetween journeys. M60, M61, M6, A66. with very little congestion in it.

I timed the traffic lights to avoid stopping on the island coming off the M6 at Penrith, but was in the normal queues there on the return journey.

From the last brim to brim fill, I had done 131 local miles before the Keswick trip. This took the gauge reading down to 3/4's full with the range showing 400. Arriving at Keswick, the "miles done" plus "range figure" on the computer had incresed from the original starting figure of 440 to 686

I did the trip to Keswick and back at 60mph all the way. apart from the Penrith island mentioned above. - O.K. I here you all saying - too slow, but on arriving back home 219 miles later, the gauge was on half full - for 349 miles. My local average is 36mpg.

From this, I have calculated that the keswick trip consumption was 58.45mpg and the average for the 349 miles 49.58mpg.

This was achieved with an auto, straight with no tuning box, and without using the cruise control, or the onboard diagnostics other than regularly comparing the range figure with the total miles done.

It all comes down to the type of motoring you do and how you drive. The CDTi is made for long distances, not short ones Every time you start the engine from cold and even half warmed up, it is still drinking fuel.

Many years ago, I had a Humber Super Snipe Series Two (manul with Overdrive). That again consumed fuel depending on motoring style. In town, 18mpg. On long runs 39mpg
A Humber Super Snip !!! .... A friend of mine bought a brand new HSS two-tone cream estate 50 years ago, God I feel old. It was the most beautiful car around at the time. I think I would even swap my adored Rover 75 for a HSS. God forgive me!
Old 4th October 2011, 07:16   #13
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanked 1,111 Times in 868 Posts
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstrover View Post
That's given me food for thought , as nearly all my driving is in town and pretty much stop start maybe 27 mpg isn't too bad ?
That would depend on your driving habits, if you've been driving it 'Like you stole it', then it's not too bad, but generally I would say for a 2.0lt Diesel it is bad..... Well, let's just say, it's not good. I'm getting better than that and mine's a 2.0lt Petrol!

Sorry.
Old 4th October 2011, 09:37   #14
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

sounds like the o2 sensor gone or maybe an air leak so the car is over fuelling to balance it out .as said its time for a t4 session to find why its not achieving the mid 30`s in town .
Old 4th October 2011, 12:08   #15
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
does that sound about right for a cdi ? just worked it out brim to brim method
Does it suffer from any of the following:

hesitation or delay when pulling away
stalls occasionally when pulling away
flat spot or delay when first opening the throttle from cruising speed
soot mark on the bumper above the tailpipe

If so, the maf sensor may be out of spec. This happens to every diesel Rover or MG eventually but the symptoms vary depending upon the direction and severity of the maf signal change.
It usually drops but can increase and either will have a detrimental effect on the economy and performance. However there is far less effect on performance & it can be a bit better low down, if the signal has increased.

You could try disconnecting the maf plug for a tankful of fuel to see if its better or worse.
Ron
Old 4th October 2011, 16:32   #16
wuzerk
Passed Away

Rover 75 CDT 03 auto Conn. SE

Default Mpg

MYFIRSTROVER: I get your mpg doing nothing but local miles, in the cold,on an automatic. Try a motorway trip when you should see at least 48mpg without difficulty.
wuzerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 16:53   #17
myfirstrover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 cdi

Default synergy 2

Prior to my comments about 27 mpg, i was poking around in the engine bay this afternoon and low and behold there is a synergy 2 box connected up and tucked away in the corner of the engine bay! how much,if anything would this affect performance/mpg ? out of curiosity i have disconnected it and intend running the car for a week to see if it makes any difference.
myfirstrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 17:27   #18
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Prior to my comments about 27 mpg, i was poking around in the engine bay this afternoon and low and behold there is a synergy 2 box connected up and tucked away in the corner of the engine bay! how much,if anything would this affect performance/mpg ? out of curiosity i have disconnected it and intend running the car for a week to see if it makes any difference.
Normally, the mpg is better with a Synergy 2 fitted. However it does depend on the setting it is on and also on the condition of the maf sensor.

You didn't need to disconnect it - that's what the toggle switches are for.

Did you notice if both switches were down and what setting it was on?

Ron
Old 9th October 2011, 17:31   #19
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

OK you lot, anyone know what the gear ratios are, and care to work out the MPG for each gear? lets work with easy figures for now..

5th = 50
4th = 40
3rd = 30
2nd = 20
1st equals 10 mpg..

Bearing in mind an auto wont go into 3rd under 30 mph, it is easy to see you cannot get and ave of 30 mpg in town without crossing the entire town at more than 30 mph, and that is virtually impossible innit... lol...
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 17:36   #20
myfirstrover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 cdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverron View Post
Normally, the mpg is better with a Synergy 2 fitted. However it does depend on the setting it is on and also on the condition of the maf sensor.

You didn't need to disconnect it - that's what the toggle switches are for.

Did you notice if both switches were down and what setting it was on?

Ron
Switches have broken off ( the ones on the bottom of the box i assume?) The red pointer was at no 1

Last edited by myfirstrover; 9th October 2011 at 17:50..
myfirstrover is offline   Reply With Quote