Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd October 2011, 19:01   #21
kamikaze1100
Regular poster

rover 45 but wanna upgrade

lol

HELP
kamikaze1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 19:27   #22
capese21
This is my second home

MG ZTT 180 Sports Auto.

Quote:
can't see that's gunna make any difference as the guy at the garage reset the mil light when i went down there earlier and when the ignition was switched back on it was still on.
Well why ask for help then if you trust the guy at the garage
capese21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 22:39   #23
kamikaze1100
Regular poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by capese21 View Post
Well why ask for help then if you trust the guy at the garage

i don't trust the guy at the garage, but i did see him reset the mil light on his code reader and when the ignition was switched on again the mil light was still on, so my point about buying a code reader off ebay was there aint one as it won't do anything that has not already been done (unless the guy at the garage didn't have the reader set up correctly, is that possible?)
And i'm asking for help because i want to get the mil light issue sorted out without wasting too much money as i don't earn a lot!
Old 4th October 2011, 07:33   #24
capese21
This is my second home

MG ZTT 180 Sports Auto.

My point was if you have the code reader at home you can try different things and see if you have fixed it. No need to go to the garage every time to get them to do it, trial and error often work.

Garages often suffer from a dislike of Rovers and cannot be bothered with them.

My feeling is if the engile light is on there must be a fault code recorded

Good luck with it.

Ed.
capese21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2011, 08:19   #25
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze1100 View Post
lol

HELP
The MIL lamp is exactly that Malfunction Indicator Lamp, simply "resetting it" does nothing to address the underlying cause of why it's lit.
I personally get many requests "can you put the light out for me?", which of course I can do, however if the problem which causes the MIL to be lit is still there, it will light up as soon as the ecu report the problem.
Rover cars in general have extremely limited coverage with standard OBD code readers, so a trip to someone with a T4 is in order, possibly a Xpart dealer, but if they want £40+ to "put it on the machine" don't be surprised, however you can of course ask them for a printed report of what they find, and using your own skill & judgement, effect the necessary repairs.
Sorry but it's time to dig into your pocket I'm afraid.
Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2011, 09:31   #26
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

Quote:
i don't trust the guy at the garage, but i did see him reset the mil light on his code reader and when the ignition was switched on again the mil light was still on, so my point about buying a code reader off ebay was there aint one as it won't do anything that has not already been done (unless the guy at the garage didn't have the reader set up correctly, is that possible?)
And i'm asking for help because i want to get the mil light issue sorted out without wasting too much money as i don't earn a lot!

if the garage said no codes present then his reader isnt any good for the car ,you can only clear the codes that the reader finds .as you did a battery reset then the problem you have is perminent so the part will need changing .as said you need to go somewhere that has a t4 so it can read every module .so if it cost £40 then thats what you need to pay
Old 4th October 2011, 10:32   #27
kamikaze1100
Regular poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by capese21 View Post
My point was if you have the code reader at home you can try different things and see if you have fixed it. No need to go to the garage every time to get them to do it, trial and error often work.

Garages often suffer from a dislike of Rovers and cannot be bothered with them.

My feeling is if the engile light is on there must be a fault code recorded

Good luck with it.

Ed.
exept this is a rover garage and an xpart dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
The MIL lamp is exactly that Malfunction Indicator Lamp, simply "resetting it" does nothing to address the underlying cause of why it's lit.
I personally get many requests "can you put the light out for me?", which of course I can do, however if the problem which causes the MIL to be lit is still there, it will light up as soon as the ecu report the problem.
Rover cars in general have extremely limited coverage with standard OBD code readers, so a trip to someone with a T4 is in order, possibly a Xpart dealer, but if they want £40+ to "put it on the machine" don't be surprised, however you can of course ask them for a printed report of what they find, and using your own skill & judgement, effect the necessary repairs.
Sorry but it's time to dig into your pocket I'm afraid.
Brian
mil light came on when the tps decided to pack up which has now been replaced!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissyboy View Post
if the garage said no codes present then his reader isnt any good for the car ,you can only clear the codes that the reader finds .as you did a battery reset then the problem you have is perminent so the part will need changing .as said you need to go somewhere that has a t4 so it can read every module .so if it cost £40 then thats what you need to pay
Which i don't have a problem with, i do however have a problem with someone who seems to not know what they are talking about (they have been a rover garage for as long as i can remember and should have been a little less vague!)
Old 4th October 2011, 11:50   #28
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

Quote:
exept this is a rover garage and an xpart dealer

mil light came on when the tps decided to pack up which has now been replaced!

Which i don't have a problem with, i do however have a problem with someone who seems to not know what they are talking about (they have been a rover garage for as long as i can remember and should have been a little less vague!)

rover dealers aint nothing specail ,as like the bmw dealersw they sell parts to so just have a guess as what the problem is and stick a new one on ...you need to find some one on here that is close to you for a proper t4 session .there looks to be alot of the mechanics on here that all know what they are on about and know these cars inside out ,take it along to one of them im sure they will sort it for you ,not only that your having the benifit of not being ripped off tooalso after having another look at your post and seeiong you changed the tps sensor and still getting the light up ,it suggests to me that the senor was at fault but the wiring ,mayb e its lost its earth or a signal or is a bit down on voltage .

Last edited by chrissyboy; 4th October 2011 at 11:53..
chrissyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2011, 12:00   #29
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Hi, dunno if anyone can shed some light on this problem i have........

The vehicle is a 2001 rover 45 turbo diesel, last week the throttle position sensor packed up which i replaced with one from the scrapyard which has sorted that problem, the remaining problem is the check engine warning light is still on (came on when the tps packed up!)
I just went to a local rover garage to get it removed and the bloke plugged in his code reader and it was coming up with no fault codes found (from what he was saying it could be anything, which caused me a little concern as the car drives faultlessly, i think he's trying to stiff me to repare faults that just aint there???)

Anyways the long and short of it all is how do i remove the check engine warning light from the dash display??? (most of the garages around here are rip off merchants who are just after ur cash!)

You have to use a Rover compatible tool so find a local garage that has a Snap-On, Sykes Pickavant, etc. There is no other way to reset it.
It just cost me £20 at a local independent when my 45's TPS failed.

Ron