Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th September 2011, 18:49   #1
ady
Posted a thing or two

ZT 135+ CDTI

Default synergy settings

Hi i have just had a synergy box fitted to my connie cdt thanks to Davy2xl already had x-power remap done...... I was just wondering what settings the rest of you have on yours
Old 29th September 2011, 19:06   #2
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

What maf. I have just taken my PB out and put the bosh back in just to see if there is any difference. Had the PB on 8, but the bosh was smokinh in the drive so turned it down to 5.

The main difference I have noticed(besides the extra power) is the higher the setting the less you have to press the pedal down. Too high and it smokes a bit, without any real difference in performance for normal driving. Thinking if MPG a little bit.

It is trial and error though.

Craig
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 19:18   #3
ady
Posted a thing or two

ZT 135+ CDTI

Have the bosch fitted had it set at 5 at first seems ok .. but today had it on 10 for a quick run out just to see what it was like :-)... No smoke what i could see but with 10 settings im abit confused what to have it on
Old 29th September 2011, 21:50   #4
RovingDennis
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT 135+ Club saloon, Wegwood Blue.

num 6 gives you the highest torque at under 2500 revs with low maf boost. Rover rons web gives you all the settings results.
http://tuning-diesels.com/Synergy/Synergy.htm
Old 29th September 2011, 22:07   #5
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ady View Post
Have the bosch fitted had it set at 5 at first seems ok .. but today had it on 10 for a quick run out just to see what it was like :-)... No smoke what i could see but with 10 settings im abit confused what to have it on
Must admit I've had mine fitted now for a year and everytime I think I understand the setting I find I don't really

I the Bosch MAF which seems as near as I can tell to be fine and the Synergy 2 on setting 5, with the MAF switch set to off. It looks as if Ron's site is suggesting that the 6 to 10 setting might be worth trying even with a Bosch MAF.

Then there is the MAF switch

Since fitting it, I simply left it on 5, which seems fine.

I do wish Ron would expand on the explanations of what each setting is supposed to achieve.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 22:45   #6
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Must admit I've had mine fitted now for a year and everytime I think I understand the setting I find I don't really

I do wish Ron would expand on the explanations of what each setting is supposed to achieve.
About the same here. It will be interesting to see if the bosh maf does make a difference on a longish run in the morning, I have also used 10 a lot but 5-8 seem to give me plenty of power.
The smoke I was talking about was just a small puff when sationary, standing at the back of the car, when it was revved hard for a few seconds-nothing while driving though.

As I said just paly with each setting, leave the battery cover off for a while and see which "feels right".
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2011, 15:39   #7
ady
Posted a thing or two

ZT 135+ CDTI

Thanks for the comments.... think i will leave it on setting 5 seems to be fine on that for now my next plan off attack is a egr bypass and if i save my pennies up full ss exhaust
Old 2nd October 2011, 22:49   #8
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Thread moved to appropriate forum. Re-direct left in old.

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2011, 11:56   #9
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post

You only have to ask (feel free to pm me and I'll reply in a pm or thread).

MAF COMPENSATION:
There are 2 bands - low and medium. Low is selected by using settings 1 to 5 and medium applies when you use settings 6 to 10. Low is intended for an out of spec Bosch maf, medium for a very weak Bosch maf and when a Pierburgh maf is fitted. (If an egr bypass is fitted, the low range may also give a good result with a Pierburgh maf and may give even better economy.)

If your maf is working well, then you don't need the compensation so simply switch it off using the MAF switch.

POWER SETTINGS:
There are 5 settings - the same 5 apply to each range, so 1 = 6, 2 = 7 and so on as far as the torque and bhp are concerned.
The Synergy 2 label lists what each does so I won't list them here.
Setting 2 (or 7) is the most popular for a blend of improved throttle response, better torque and economy.

I have to confess that I don't understand the small number of comments that the Synergy does nothing for the performance other than improve the throttle response. Feedback and my own development work shows that it most certainly does boost the torque from around 1600rpm. However I did notice that due to the increased smoothness, the car did not feel much quicker. A stopwatch proved it was.
The only other explanation is that the maf sensor on these particular vehicles is overfuelling a little at low rpm, and adding more fuel with a Synergy will just result in smoke rather than even more performance. Too much fuel can reduce the performance at very low rpm by it having a choking effect.

As regards smoke: again, if all the other components (egr valve*, pcv valve*, injectors*, air filter, oil & filter) have been maintained correctly then smoke is not and never has been an issue. Yes, a puff of smoke when first opening the throttle due to turbo lag is inevitable - all diesels do this though those with a dpf will not exhibit much if any)
Believe me, rather a small puff of smoke than no smoke thanks to a dpf. Never buy a used car that has one and be prepared for hassle if you buy new....

* these are not service items and so don't assume a full service history means they won't need attention.
Ron
Old 4th October 2011, 16:55   #10
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

QUOTE=Roverron

You only have to ask (feel free to pm me and I'll reply in a pm or thread).

MAF COMPENSATION:
There are 2 bands - low and medium. Low is selected by using settings 1 to 5 and medium applies when you use settings 6 to 10. Low is intended for an out of spec Bosch maf, medium for a very weak Bosch maf and when a Pierburgh maf is fitted. (If an egr bypass is fitted, the low range may also give a good result with a Pierburgh maf and may give even better economy.)

If your maf is working well, then you don't need the compensation so simply switch it off using the MAF switch.

That bit might have been the bit which caused me early confusion, the MAF switch. Does that switch - switch on or off ALL of the MAF compensation? I'm still not clear on how the switch interacts with the 1 to 5 and 6 to 10 settings.

I have to confess that I don't understand the small number of comments that the Synergy does nothing for the performance other than improve the throttle response. Feedback and my own development work shows that it most certainly does boost the torque from around 1600rpm. However I did notice that due to the increased smoothness, the car did not feel much quicker. A stopwatch proved it was.

I have absolutely no doubts here, it transforms both the torque available and the acceleration. I wasn't very confident pulling out into small gaps or overtaking in the 75 before fitting the Synergy. With Synergy on 5 and MAF off I am absolutely confident that I'll have the power and some in reserve.

The only other explanation is that the maf sensor on these particular vehicles is overfuelling a little at low rpm, and adding more fuel with a Synergy will just result in smoke rather than even more performance. Too much fuel can reduce the performance at very low rpm by it having a choking effect.

As regards smoke: again, if all the other components (egr valve*, pcv valve*, injectors*, air filter, oil & filter) have been maintained correctly then smoke is not and never has been an issue.

I did all of those (except the injectors) when I first bought the car, then fitted the Synergy soon after. I have never seen even the slightest trace of smoke and the MOT engineer thought his machine had broken when he tested it in May.

Yes, a puff of smoke when first opening the throttle due to turbo lag is inevitable - all diesels do this though those with a dpf will not exhibit much if any)

Mine doesn't smoke even then.

Believe me, rather a small puff of smoke than no smoke thanks to a dpf. Never buy a used car that has one and be prepared for hassle if you buy new....

* these are not service items and so don't assume a full service history means they won't need attention.
Ron

No history other than stamps in the book, but at close on 100K - PCV was not bad at all, EGR no where near as caked as some I've seen here, Bosch MAF seemed clean but was given a clean anyway - but I suspect it reads a little low - it flags up in the DTC's regularly (1). I did everything except the injectors, but gave it a dose of diesel injector cleaner.

(1) Should I try switching the MAF switch to on, to see if that fixes that DTC?

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote