Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th April 2011, 08:52   #1
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts
Default CDT Engine Check LED

After reading Taylo's thread I now realise I have a problem with my engine check light. Car is an X reg CDT. Have owned it from new and the check engine light has never come on - not even as a check with the key turned to position 2.

Putting the IPK into self test mode brings it on so the LED is OK. Also the low level washer fluid alarm has never worked, but I don't think these are connected as the sensor for the washer bottle earths a wire directly from the IPK to bring up the warning, and as far as I can see the check engine light is controlled by the ECU via the CAN bus.

Has anyone else got a CDT with no check light showing with the key in position 2?

If it comes on due to a fault does a message appear in the highline display? Not that I'm expecting to see that either if it is a comms fault.

And lastly the most important question; has anyone had this problem and cured it?

Mike
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 07:51   #2
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Anyone got a list of what brings the CDT check engine light on, or had a fault that has caused it to come on?

That way I can maybe test it to see if it is working or not.

Mike
Old 10th April 2011, 15:24   #3
scouseeric
Passed Away

75 contemporary se cdti

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeseignot View Post
Anyone got a list of what brings the CDT check engine light on, or had a fault that has caused it to come on?

That way I can maybe test it to see if it is working or not.

Mike
Good afternoon, Mike.
I know this must be driving you crackers, im the same if i know of a fault, same with 99% of us owners!!
I get the mil light with a yellow 'CHECK ENGINE' msg now and again, but my scanner doesnt read a fault code, so i clear it and the mil goes out.
I dont know any diesel faults that cause mil light, someone will post soon!
But, tbh, i wouldnt induce one to check it in case it sticks on and you have to get it turned off, remember, your x reg isnt obd2, so i dont think a code reader would help. good luck,

Eric
scouseeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 15:11   #4
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by scouseeric View Post
Good afternoon, Mike.
I know this must be driving you crackers, im the same if i know of a fault, same with 99% of us owners!!
I get the mil light with a yellow 'CHECK ENGINE' msg now and again, but my scanner doesnt read a fault code, so i clear it and the mil goes out.
I dont know any diesel faults that cause mil light, someone will post soon!
But, tbh, i wouldnt induce one to check it in case it sticks on and you have to get it turned off, remember, your x reg isnt obd2, so i dont think a code reader would help. good luck,

Eric
The MIL can come on for any number reasons but in my experience the commonest ones that come and go are:
a) Maf sensor signal
b) Fuel pressure at the filter head low.
c) Egr valve sticking, or bypassed on a euro 4 car (2004/5)

You can disconnect the maf for a few days and see if the mil stays off.
If its fuel pressure low, then this could indicate a defective in tank pump, under bonnet pump, or a clogged filter.

Recently, the icnrease in biodiesel content of fuel has been causing big problems - clogged filters, damaged injection pump, clogged injectors. This is because it dissolves all the gunk in the tank and fuel lines.

I will post a photo shortly of a filter from our '57 Vectra. It was changed just 5k miles ago and now looks like a used oil filter. (its a bare paper element on the repmobile so its easy to check the contamination).
Unfortunately, we now no longer recommend Shell fuels because I believe their fuel saving fuels have high biodiesel content. A Shell tanker driver told me last week, that they have to change fuel filters on the tankers twice as often and his and some of the others have had to have new injection pumps.

Of course, the older the vehicle the more gunge there will be to dissolve but once its gone, the fuel will be okay to use.

Ron
Old 11th April 2011, 17:11   #5
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Thanks Eric and Ron. Have had a faulty MAF (haven't we all!) and no MIL so assume it isn't doing what it should.

Given that the car is a high miler don't think its worth trying to get to the bottom of no MIL or low level washer fluid alarm either for that matter, unless the bumper has to come off for another reason.

Will keep an eye on the fuel consumption - still doing 48 to the gallon and as long as it runs well I'm happy. Can't believe its still on its original injectors - which is just as well as they would probably be a pig to get out after 10 years in situ. Hope I'm not tempting fate here!

Interesting to hear of the effects of increasing the biodiesel content of the fuel. I cut up my last fuel filter to check and it was clear and the last time I checked the fuel tank that was as new apart from the tank flap fuel cap holder clip that must have dislodged with the cap and fallen in the tank at some point.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Noc; 12th April 2011 at 07:05..