Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th March 2011, 18:41   #1
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Default Synergy & smoke test

We've just taken delivery of a £2600 portable Smoke Tester to prove to anyone that our products don't cause MOT failiure and indeed, will reduce smoke emissions.

We did a test on our Vectra 1.9cdti. The limit for this 2007 120bhp model is 1.50. Without the module it was 0.74, with it switched on, 0.65. (It was set on max with a very strong map in it as well)

With this equipment we can do MOT smoke tests at any time, eg pre-mot and also to enable the hgvs we tune to pass the London Congestion charge limits. (£1000 fine per day if they fail)

We will be compilinmg a table of vehicle with 'before' v 'after' readings which will be on the websites in a week or so.

Ron
Old 17th March 2011, 19:18   #2
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverron View Post
We've just taken delivery of a £2600 portable Smoke Tester to prove to anyone that our products don't cause MOT failiure and indeed, will reduce smoke emissions.

We did a test on our Vectra 1.9cdti. The limit for this 2007 120bhp model is 1.50. Without the module it was 0.74, with it switched on, 0.65. (It was set on max with a very strong map in it as well)

With this equipment we can do MOT smoke tests at any time, eg pre-mot and also to enable the hgvs we tune to pass the London Congestion charge limits. (£1000 fine per day if they fail)

We will be compilinmg a table of vehicle with 'before' v 'after' readings which will be on the websites in a week or so.

Ron

who said your products caused mot failure ?,certainly wasnt me .i spoke about the decatting of the exhausts ,with out one the emissions is higher ,after all that is what the cat is for isnt it .look forward to seeing your charts ron,
Old 17th March 2011, 19:44   #3
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissyboy View Post
who said your products caused mot failure ?,certainly wasnt me .i spoke about the decatting of the exhausts ,with out one the emissions is higher ,after all that is what the cat is for isnt it .look forward to seeing your charts ron,
No Synergy owner has had a problem and I already knew the smoke readings were reduced by a Synergy from customer feedback.
We tend to only get competitors who sell remaps making their "boxes just dump fuel in... fail the mot...etc" claims to try and grab a sale.

It's more for hgv tuning, where the penalties for exceeding the London emission limits are severe so we can reassure the operators with a hard copy print out showing the smoke level after the tuning.

But we will be carryng out tests to see what effect an egr bypass or dpf has and also checking customer vehicles before tuning their engine by plug-in box or remap to make sure they are within the MOT pass limit. This will pickup problems with mafs, egr valves etc which they may be unaware of, or are expecting the tuning to cure.
Ron
Old 17th March 2011, 19:57   #4
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

Suprised mine failed the mot on setting 10 and had to switch it off for it to pass
Departed 32016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 20:00   #5
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieranswood View Post
Suprised mine failed the mot on setting 10 and had to switch it off for it to pass
I have an egr bypass pierburg maf too and on all the synergy settings the black smoke increases. If I just have the mafam part on it's better
Old 17th March 2011, 20:04   #6
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieranswood View Post
I have an egr bypass pierburg maf too and on all the synergy settings the black smoke increases. If I just have the mafam part on it's better

Well mine passed with a Synergy fitted with setting on 6/7, and EGR bypass.
examiner was quite impressed as to how clean it was !!!!! No smoke at all

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 20:34   #7
steve 135+
Regular poster

MG ZT 135+

Thumbs up Servicing!!

What you have to remember is, how often do you service your car??? this as a lot to do with smoke when tuning boxes are fitted.

The best policy is to change all filters and engine oil, use a good oil and standard filters as some air filters on the market are oil based and can knacker Maf sensors up.

EGR bypass is a good thing in my book, no **** going back into the air intake, PCV this was classed as none serviceable item but if its not serviced, well loads of problems come from not doing so, fit the filter-less type and forget about it.

Any diesel engine they like to suck as much clean air in as possible and a unrestricted exhaust, also don't forget about general wear of the engine! as this can give smoke.

At the end of the day, it's how your car as been looked after, as said one member with no smoke and others with smoke.

The best thing to do is compare your car engine with number 6 and see if theres any differences in engine modifications and service history?

And as always before your MOT is due, service your car and take it for a good run before testing, Steve

Last edited by steve 135+; 17th March 2011 at 20:36..
steve 135+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 20:44   #8
peelaaa
Posted a thing or two

75 cdti 2004 contemporary

2 years ago my cdti had a reading of 0.3 , now with synergy it is 0.9.

The oil temperature was 84c, now it is 64c, could that play a part?
peelaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 20:55   #9
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

Oil is changed every 6000 miles pcv has been changed recently too the fact is since fitting my synergy over a year ago my cat does smoke more
Old 17th March 2011, 20:55   #10
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

The pcv valve is a major culprit where smoke is concerned. It MUST be replaced by the BMW once the mileage is over about 80k or more than 5years old. (BMW have made it a service item and so too would MGR had they still been in existence.)

There are many variables, from the maf sensor, egr valve, pcv, air filter to the general state of the engine maintenance that can affect the smoke level.

The egr valve is proving a very unreliable and troublesome component on many diesels - eg Fords & Vauxhalls. Fortunately, its not relaibility but the inevitable clogging up that is the issue on the 75/ZTs engine.

Clearly no one can guarantee any particular smoke readings with all these variables but as we collect data, we'll be able to build a picture of what has most effect.

Ron