Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 31st January 2011, 10:26   #261
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovexCDTi View Post
I dont think £50 spent on a bypass is good value.
Unless you have tried a bypass, then you cannot comment on the value of one.
There is a discerible difference between a clean, disabled one and a bypass.

However, its entirely up to the individual as to whether to do any mods but commenting on the value or effectiveness witout actually having tried the mod is unreasonable.

Ron
Old 31st January 2011, 10:40   #262
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

Fair enough, but how many people go straight from a dirty leaking EGR to a bypass? Thats obviously going to help. How many also fit a new MAF or Synergy? Do the intake mod? Going from anything but a clean working system to a bypass is not a fair test.

The only really sure fire way to tell is to dyno the car and recording boost pressure levels when booting the throttle at a number of engine speeds. Personal 'feeling' cannot be relied upon as a measure in a world where people swear adding redex to a car improves the power significantly within seconds (and people do say that).
rovexCDTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2011, 12:12   #263
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovexCDTi View Post
Fair enough, but how many people go straight from a dirty leaking EGR to a bypass? Thats obviously going to help. How many also fit a new MAF or Synergy? Do the intake mod? Going from anything but a clean working system to a bypass is not a fair test.

The only really sure fire way to tell is to dyno the car and recording boost pressure levels when booting the throttle at a number of engine speeds. Personal 'feeling' cannot be relied upon as a measure in a world where people swear adding redex to a car improves the power significantly within seconds (and people do say that).
Many owners have gone from a clean egr to a bypass and have commented on the difference.
Its not realistic to expect everyone to stick their vehicle on a dyno everytime they do something to it.
Apart from which, a dyno is never used (nor is much use) for measuring turbo lag, part throttle torque or throttle response and these are very important factors in how a vehicle 'feels' in the way it drives since we do not use full throttle for much of the time.
The seat of the pants feel is extremely relevant - relevant enough for several manufacturers from Ferrari to Vauxhall to fit 'sport buttons' which do nothing more than sharpen the throttle response by in effect altering the accelerator pedal calibration. (ignoring effects on suspension etc)

I stand by my original assertion: if you want to criticise or pass judgement on something, try it first, otherwise you fit into the category of 'armchaior expert' and there's enough of these inhabiting the 'net already'!!

Ron

Last edited by Roverron; 31st January 2011 at 12:15..
Roverron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2011, 16:54   #264
Iceman

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverron View Post
Many owners have gone from a clean egr to a bypass and have commented on the difference.
Its not realistic to expect everyone to stick their vehicle on a dyno everytime they do something to it.
Apart from which, a dyno is never used (nor is much use) for measuring turbo lag, part throttle torque or throttle response and these are very important factors in how a vehicle 'feels' in the way it drives since we do not use full throttle for much of the time.
The seat of the pants feel is extremely relevant - relevant enough for several manufacturers from Ferrari to Vauxhall to fit 'sport buttons' which do nothing more than sharpen the throttle response by in effect altering the accelerator pedal calibration. (ignoring effects on suspension etc)

I stand by my original assertion: if you want to criticise or pass judgement on something, try it first, otherwise you fit into the category of 'armchaior expert' and there's enough of these inhabiting the 'net already'!!

Ron
i'm with Ron on this one, just fitted a synergy having already done a egr bypass and pcv filter replacement, the performance is outstanding even though i'm still not sure if my turbo is working correctly, gotta do the viton seals to...your right Ron it does make a difference....a BIG one
Old 4th February 2011, 21:57   #265
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
You will always get both answers to that, even if you read this whole thread!
I'm on the side of our resident senior Guru James!......
Keep it but disconnect the Vacuum hose and seal it with a shanked woodscrew, pop rivet, broken drill bit etc.
I've seen many blocked off with an ordinary wood screw with threads right up the head..................of course this won't seal the pipe as the air enters via the screw thread, with the possibility of reducing your brake servo vacuum !
Hi This is the ERG below and i have pointed out the part with a biro which i asume that is blocked off or pinched in some cases ? am i right as this is very new to me, of cause i first need to clean it, i purchased this as an extra to change with the one that is still in tact on my car in the thinking that i want to keep the car as and how it was produced, i can then always have a clean one if and when it needs to be changed, i dont mind doing the work please check out the photo below and as your ERG been cloged up more than this, cheers arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 29th June 2011 at 01:04..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2011, 01:03   #266
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts
Default Just a reminder...

Disclaimer:
You are responsible for any work or modifications carried out on your car and you undertake any such work at your own risk. The 75 and ZT Owners Club nor the original authors in this thread can be held liable for anything that may happen as a result of you following this thread's posts.
Any modifications should be reported to your insurance company.

It's a legal thing......

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2011, 13:40   #267
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Default Cleaned ERG

Hi the cleaned ERG waiting to be fitted when i can fit it in with the jobs to be done, lt took 20mins used carb clean and detol descale will do the same with the one i take of then just change it if and when need be.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 7th February 2011, 22:37   #268
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Hi Are gaskets available for these if so were from please.

ad altiora tendo.

Last edited by Arctic; 7th February 2011 at 23:14..
Old 7th February 2011, 22:55   #269
scouseeric
Passed Away

75 contemporary se cdti

I recall a post stating that disabling the egr brings the mil light on mk2 only iirc.
well i cleaned the egr when i fitted the synergie2 last week and took off the vac hose and blocked it. the mil has come on 3 times since but gone off shortly afterwards?
My scanner finds no faults when its on. Has anybody else experienced this?

Eric.
scouseeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 01:04   #270
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Are gaskets available for these if so were from please.
It's a square sectioned O ring which comes as part of the manifold.
Usually re seals fine, if not try Hylomar
Failing that straight forward enough to make your own with gasket paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scouseeric View Post
I recall a post stating that disabling the egr brings the mil light on mk2 only iirc.
well i cleaned the egr when i fitted the synergie2 last week and took off the vac hose and blocked it. the mil has come on 3 times since but gone off shortly afterwards?
My scanner finds no faults when its on. Has anybody else experienced this?

Eric.
News to me!
Ours is a MK11 with EGR disabled & vacuum blanked off, never seen MIL lamp on.

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote