Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd January 2011, 17:21   #1
MalteseMarc
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI connoisseur SE auto, 2004

Default Strong smell of diesel + poor economy!

For some time now I have been trying to get to the bottom of why my car has such poor fuel economy, I have changed most things to 'improve' the overall driving appeal of the vehicle as well as to make sure the car is as fuel efficient as possible, sadly to no avail Anyway as I seem to be going around in circles and not really getting anyway I hope that someone can come to my help, P..L..E..A..S..E !
The following symptoms are what I am currently suffering from, that is Poor fuel economy (around 25mpg) and a very strong smell of diesel from the exhaust(not inside the cabin)., as I am running a synergy with a pierburg maf which has been my current setup for about a year, I'm just wondering whether the maf has gone??? just how reliable are the Pierburg over a Bosch, and what is the longevity of a maf? finally when it comes to changing a sensor is it advisable that the housing which the sensor sits(air flow meter) in also gets changed? as the following link showshttp://www.worldcarparts.co.uk/tabid...0/Default.aspx

I really like the car and have enjoyed the past two and 1/2 years ownership of it but if I can't solve this, then I think sadly and regrettably it will have to go

Last edited by MalteseMarc; 3rd January 2011 at 17:25..
MalteseMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 18:01   #2
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

hi from the sounds of it the car is overfuelling.i am lead to belive that the pierburg maf is not as compatable as we where lead to belive try unplugging it to se if that makes any diffrence .as for changing it you only need to change the sensor not the housing the bottom torx screw is very hard to access belive you me leave well alone
Old 3rd January 2011, 18:21   #3
MalteseMarc
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI connoisseur SE auto, 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk boy View Post
hi from the sounds of it the car is overfuelling.i am lead to belive that the pierburg maf is not as compatable as we where lead to belive try unplugging it to se if that makes any diffrence .as for changing it you only need to change the sensor not the housing the bottom torx screw is very hard to access belive you me leave well alone
Thanks for the reply, yes as you say it is overfuelling, and I can only think it must be the Maf that may be faulty, but as for unplugging the maf I don't think that can be done without the synergy connected
Old 3rd January 2011, 18:56   #4
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

thread moved to the technical help forum,redirection left.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 19:04   #5
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

i would unplug the lot and see if if makes any diffrence do one thing at a time otherwise you wont no what has changed things .also have a word with rover ron i am sure he will point you in the right direction.just to give a idea of fuel use my ztt cdti 135 is returning 42mpg ave running on a cheap maf off ebay.soon to be fitted with a inline stat to up the running temp and the synergy e version
Old 3rd January 2011, 20:16   #6
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Please explain as I have had no feedback to support this.

The Pierburgh maf's are not everlasting and it is possible that Marc.t1s is overfuelling the engine and if less than 12months old, will be replaced under warranty if supplied by me.

If it is, switching off the Synergy maf switch should have less effect than it otherwise would. (with a working PB maf, there would be a big drop in torque below 2500rpm with the maf switch off)

Rest assured, I listen to an act upon all feedback if I feel I can improve upon performance or economy.
However I am aware that some owners are being sold or advised to buy the wrong Pierburgh maf - the 684.09.0 version with an IAT which is meant for some BMWs. It is NOT compatible with the 75/ZT or Freelander TD4 with or without a Synergy 2 fitted.
Ron
Old 3rd January 2011, 20:29   #7
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

and there you go .ps i was not for one minute suggesting that the maf the op has fitted was supplyied by your good self i dont doubt in the least your knowledge or service i will as soon as funds allow be buying the synergy 2 e version from you for these reasons
Old 3rd January 2011, 21:11   #8
Mintee
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
and there you go .ps i was not for one minute suggesting that the maf the op has fitted was supplyied by your good self i dont doubt in the least your knowledge or service i will as soon as funds allow be buying the synergy 2 e version from you for these reasons
Who lead you to believe that the 'Pierburg MAF is not as compatable' though?
Mintee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 21:21   #9
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

buy talking to another member whos car ran like a heap of **** with one fitted thats how.at the end of the day it looks like the o.p will hopefully get it sorted out and thats what counts without my input