Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st October 2010, 10:12   #31
Matt1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDT Tourer

Just a quick update,
I have had a reply back from World Car Parts (WCP) this morning. They have confirmed that the part they send is the 2032 sensor and not the 2029. This is much as I thought.
I have replied to them that IMO the advert is misleading.
However they have given an assurance that the parts are completely compatable.
This compatability seems to be confirmed with evidence from at least one member here (Rammie) who bought one in the spring from them and was happy with the performance.
On the internet, I found other evidence that BMW owners were also using this cheaper alternative with good results. But our mapping is different to theirs.
I will try to contact Bosch for confirmation as to the specification differences.
However, my initial conclusion is that the parts they are supplying are not fake, but genuine Bosch, but the part numbers are not exactly as described IMO.
Matt
Matt1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 10:30   #32
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo892 View Post
There's something about this site (worldcarparts) that I don't trust.
The fact that they sell a part advertised as an 029, but send out an 032 which is a VW part, just isn't on - and also illegal as they are wrongly advertising the part.
It does have Bosch stamped on it, because it is a genuine Bosch - but it's a Bosch for a VW not the M47r.

I don't know about the full sensor in it's housing that they sell - but it would seem a good way to make it more convincing would be to sell it at that higher price... at that price it must be genuine etc!
029 is the correct part, 032 isn't. Some people in the trade seem to think it doesn't make a lot of difference so long as the result is an improvement on a very poor maf....
I've tried many different ones in my 75, including BMW and VAG (055, 062, Pierburgh 090 etc) and though the car was driveable, it either smoked, ran out steam well before the red line or was flat until the Synergy2's maf compensator was switched on.

WCP are incorrect to say the 029 and 032 are intechangeable.

If any old maf worked, why do Bosch make so many? Because they are all calibrated differently...
Ron

Last edited by Roverron; 1st October 2010 at 10:35..
Roverron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 10:49   #33
pablo892

MG ZT 135+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1960 View Post
Just a quick update,
I have had a reply back from World Car Parts (WCP) this morning. They have confirmed that the part they send is the 2032 sensor and not the 2029. This is much as I thought.
I have replied to them that IMO the advert is misleading...
As I thought too! But the description is more than misleading - it's totally wrong. It specifically states that the part you receive is the 029!

Quote:
If any old maf worked, why do Bosch make so many? Because they are all calibrated differently...
Exactly! So is there anywhere reputable that sells just the 029 sensor (without housing) at a 'reasonable' price?

P
pablo892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 10:51   #34
ceetdm
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Manual Saloon + Rover 75 CDTi Auto Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmovik View Post
There is another MAF available on Ebay. Don't know how to do a direct link but the item no. is 390244712666. Perhaps someone could put up the direct link. This is described as new and genuine Bosch. Seller must have many available, as it is repeat listed. I have 'won' one of these for £49.99 and have it in my possession, but not yet fitted. I can confirm that it is the entire unit, housing and sensor. It is clearly marked Bosch and interestingly has the the BMW roundel near the serial no. Serial no. is 0928 400 357, which I believe is correct. I have not opened the housing, but on the sensor I can just make out another Bosch sign, plus 'Made in Germany' and FOOC 2G2 029 serial no. Again I think this is right for our cars. It was supplied in a reused cardboard box, so there must be a doubt about its provenance. but it certainly looks genuine. Hope to have this fitted on a forthcoming trip to that well known Welsh chap and will report back in due course. On the face of it, this looks a bargain....
Anyone else had one of these ?

Kevin
Yes, I bought one a while back as a spare. Put it into my car when I bought it and then left it in - it's done about 25,000 miles and has behaved exactly the same as my original MAF (which was absolutely fine). When I received it I checked for any signs that it might be used and was totally convinced it was new. Also, asked the seller where it came from and was told it was dealers ex stock.

Item number 390244712666

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Tommy
Old 1st October 2010, 10:58   #35
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo892 View Post
Exactly! So is there anywhere reputable that sells just the 029 sensor (without housing) at a 'reasonable' price?

P
Officially the 029 isn't available other than in the housing so dealers cannot have surplus stock either.
I still suspect that the ones on ebay are warranty returns that have been removed from the housing.

(Customer gets new housing and his old maf cleaned up and fitted to the new housing, employee keeps new maf and flogs on ebay, old housing goes in bin ... is one possible scenario: another is, customers old maf is cleaned up and flogged on ebay..)

In the end, fit whatever maf you want and if you are happy with the results (& warranty procedure if it goes wrong) that's fine. (Turn off or remove any tuning product so make sure there's no low rev flatness, flat spots, smoke or poor mpg). But you know my recommendations... I wish I had a £ for every time I've thought to myself "told you so"!

Cynical old Ron

Last edited by Roverron; 1st October 2010 at 11:20..
Roverron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 11:18   #36
JustinF80
Avid contributor

MG ZT+ 135 CDTI Synergy2

I removed my WCP MAF today and it is definatly a 032.

Yesterday I received a new MAF from http://www.airmassmeters.com/

It came in a sealed Bosch box and the part was the housing and the sensor which is marked 029. I paid £140.00 including VAT and 24 hour Postage.

Just to make sure that there is a reduced chance of contamination of the new MAF im going to give the air filter unit a good clean out.

If it wasn't for this dammed rain it would be fitted by now!

Justin
JustinF80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 12:00   #37
Matt1960
Gets stuck in

I agree with Ron, that it would appear that at present the 029 sensor is not available on its own and only in a housing.
However I will let the forum know if I get a reply from Bosch as to the actual specification differences between the two.
Initially, there seems to be a very slight moulding difference where the connector goes in.

It would appear from my research that the only reason for the 032 sensor being singly available and much cheaper than the 029 is because of a VW lawsuit.
I wonder why bmw have not gone down the same route with the 029, which seems to suffer the same failure rate.

Matt
Old 1st October 2010, 14:17   #38
Matt1960
Gets stuck in

Just an update, Bosch would not release any specifications for the sensor, as they would not wish this to be copied.
They were quite helpful with regard to the problem with longtivity of our sensor, and they seemed to think that part of the highish failure rate was to do with dirt on the sensor which effected the voltage readings.
He said that in his opinion the higher failure vehicles were those with PCV's before the sensor, as a film will more likely be formed on the sensor.
Seems a reasonable explanation to me.
So he would not comment as to whether the 032 would be an adequate replacement for the 029, and advised getting the correct unit with housing.
So looks like £140 rather than £80.
I am still waiting for WCP to reply to my accusation of misleading advertising.
Matt
Old 1st October 2010, 15:22   #39
pablo892

MG ZT 135+

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1960 View Post
Just an update, Bosch would not release any specifications for the sensor, as they would not wish this to be copied.
They were quite helpful with regard to the problem with longtivity of our sensor, and they seemed to think that part of the highish failure rate was to do with dirt on the sensor which effected the voltage readings.
He said that in his opinion the higher failure vehicles were those with PCV's before the sensor, as a film will more likely be formed on the sensor.
Seems a reasonable explanation to me.
So he would not comment as to whether the 032 would be an adequate replacement for the 029, and advised getting the correct unit with housing.
So looks like £140 rather than £80.
I am still waiting for WCP to reply to my accusation of misleading advertising.
Matt
Well done that man! Good info there.

P
pablo892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2010, 08:32   #40
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Hi Ron,

Where do you source yours from? Clearly not from ebay?
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote