Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th September 2010, 17:18   #21
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinF80 View Post
I ordered a MAF for my ZT from World Car Parts in Feb 2010.

I have contacted World Car Parts regarding the warrenty however they require a garage report to say its that the part definatly has a fault, as we know MAF degredation does not appear as a fault code so im stuck.

As stated at the beginning all I am posting are the facts regarding my experiance with this part.

Justin
If you end up having to buy a new one, why not send the failed item to BOSCH for their opinion?
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 17:26   #22
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

My advice is to question why a Bosch part is delivered in a non Bosch box, which is not sealed.

I would also carefully examine for signs of screw marks around the fixing holes, dirt on the 'o' ring and sensor element and possible signs that the panel embossed with part numbers and Bosch's name has been replaced.

caveat emptor

Ron
Old 29th September 2010, 20:58   #23
Frank Incensed
Ex 75 Owner

75 Tourerless

Default Cheap Bosch MAF is for VW

I found this informative piece on an American Land Rover forum. Seems to go a long way to explaining the price of this particular part. I understand from elswhere that MEAT & DORIA buy huge bulk quantities and do their own (negligible) packaging.

http://www.lrrforums.com/showthread.php?t=15461&page=2

355188 of 355194

Last edited by Frank Incensed; 29th September 2010 at 20:58.. Reason: link omitted
Frank Incensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 07:38   #24
JustinF80
Avid contributor

MG ZT+ 135 CDTI Synergy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
If you end up having to buy a new one, why not send the failed item to BOSCH for their opinion?
Thanks Harry - A good idea. I have just ordered a Bosch MAF from a different supplier at £140.00, should arrive today.

Justin
JustinF80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 12:22   #25
Matt1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDT Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverron View Post
PS MAtt1960 must fall for all the email scams if he believes every 'its too good to be true' email and website blurb!
I like to think of myself as a skeptic too, but I believe a few have bought this sensor from this company and confirmed that the sensor has Bosch clearly printed on it.
From what I have read I dont think the MEAT and DORIA ones do. So if this is the case, what exactly are we accusing this company of?, because if I had bought a unit that was clearly a fake, I would have no hesitation to contact trading standards.
The only real question I have that may stop me buying from them, if I needed to, is that the sensor they supply is an 029, as the 032 is a cheaper substitute (because of a vw law suit against Bosch because of failures of the sensor, and not because its very different), and apparantly runs 4% richer. I dont know whether this would make any difference to the running of our cars?
Matt
Matt1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 13:39   #26
pablo892

MG ZT 135+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1960 View Post
....the only real question I have that may stop me buying from them, if I needed to, is that the sensor they supply is an 029, as the 032 is a cheaper substitute (because of a vw law suit against Bosch because of failures of the sensor, and not because its very different), and apparantly runs 4% richer. I dont know whether this would make any difference to the running of our cars?
Matt
There's something about this site (worldcarparts) that I don't trust.
The fact that they sell a part advertised as an 029, but send out an 032 which is a VW part, just isn't on - and also illegal as they are wrongly advertising the part.
It does have Bosch stamped on it, because it is a genuine Bosch - but it's a Bosch for a VW not the M47r.

I don't know about the full sensor in it's housing that they sell - but it would seem a good way to make it more convincing would be to sell it at that higher price... at that price it must be genuine etc!
pablo892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 14:05   #27
Dave Goody
This is my second home

15 years of 75s & ZTs now an XTrail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1960 View Post
Ron,
You have clearly said that you believe these Bosch MAF sensors are fake, but the seller has clearly said that they are original.
http://www.worldcarparts.co.uk/Defau...&ProductID=606
And from the sellers description they clearly define OE and aftermarket.

I really dont see that anybody could doubt their integrity without evidence. (unless they had a commercial interest in trying to deter people from using them)
Matt
I was offered a Rolex submariner in Thailand last year for £40 that said Rolex on it and came with all the paperwork too. I decided to doubt their integrity.
Chinese companies will copy exactly any product including part no.s. You will only know the difference 6 months down the line. Or in the case of the Rolex
[when you forget to take it off in the shower]

When I was a kid I was scared of earwigs because I thought they actually lived in your ears. I was even more terrified of cockroaches!
Dave Goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 14:35   #28
Matt1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDT Tourer

Yes, I understand the concerns.
And if they are sending out a different part than advertised, then that is wholly wrong and should be put right. But this is very different to accusing them of supplying fake parts, which has not been proved yet so far.

But my understanding of the situation is that VW took bosch to court over inflating the price of a part that had a high failure rate and Bosch reduced the price of the 032 because of this. This part is almost the same as the 029 but runs 4% richer, but can be bought below £80.
I assume that Bosch have not reduced the 029 as they have not been forced to yet, but maybe they have?

I will email worldcarparts to confirm which sensor they are sending out in case of a mistake by them, and let the forum know.

But even if the 032 were available at £80, perhaps Ron could tell us whether this part running 4% richer could be used without problem in our cars.

Matt
Matt1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 18:32   #29
sturmovik
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTI saloon

There is another MAF available on Ebay. Don't know how to do a direct link but the item no. is 390244712666. Perhaps someone could put up the direct link. This is described as new and genuine Bosch. Seller must have many available, as it is repeat listed. I have 'won' one of these for £49.99 and have it in my possession, but not yet fitted. I can confirm that it is the entire unit, housing and sensor. It is clearly marked Bosch and interestingly has the the BMW roundel near the serial no. Serial no. is 0928 400 357, which I believe is correct. I have not opened the housing, but on the sensor I can just make out another Bosch sign, plus 'Made in Germany' and FOOC 2G2 029 serial no. Again I think this is right for our cars. It was supplied in a reused cardboard box, so there must be a doubt about its provenance. but it certainly looks genuine. Hope to have this fitted on a forthcoming trip to that well known Welsh chap and will report back in due course. On the face of it, this looks a bargain....
Anyone else had one of these ?

Kevin
sturmovik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 18:39   #30
Frank Incensed
Ex 75 Owner

75 Tourerless

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmovik View Post
There is another MAF available on Ebay. Don't know how to do a direct link but the item no. is 390244712666. Perhaps someone could put up the direct link. Anyone else had one of these ?

Kevin

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

On the face of it, it does! The supplier bills themselves as a "spares and salvage" business

355188 of 355194

Last edited by Frank Incensed; 30th September 2010 at 18:42..
Frank Incensed is offline   Reply With Quote