Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th April 2019, 16:27   #1
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Default Rear suspension failure?

Twice, (on two consecutive roundabouts), the rear end stepped out to the left, I corrected the skid narrowly missing a broken-down car and really scared the wife. I wasn't driving any faster than normal and with the rest of the traffic flow.

I wondered if a earlier vehicle had dropped oil on the road, which was also wet, but none of the traffic in front or behind me appeared to have any problem.
I checked the tyres, wheels and their alignment visually and had a cursory glance underneath - all looks ok. Is there something in the rear suspension that might have failed upsetting the rear wheel alignment under cornering loads?
You'll appreciate the wife no longer wants to travel in my 75.
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2019, 17:11   #2
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Time to check the rear upper arms and springs.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2019, 17:16   #3
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson View Post
Time to check the rear upper arms and springs.
Will do, though springs (not fitted by me) aren't right as the car sits high at the back. As I said, everything looks square. I'm about to go out so I;ll see what it does tonight!
Old 26th April 2019, 17:36   #4
wullie480
This is my second home

Thanked 1,022 Times in 786 Posts

Do you have budget tyres fitted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27th April 2019, 09:37   #5
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by wullie480 View Post
Do you have budget tyres fitted?

New Kumho on the front, part-worn Nanking and Goodyear on the rear. In fact it would have been the loaded Goodyear on the nearside that broke away.
Pushed hard round a roundabout yesterday with no problems so still think it was road condition, but have not yet fully checked underneath due to a sceptic finger and rain. But there's always that slight worry there.
Old 27th April 2019, 10:26   #6
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

The first roundabouts after fuel stations often suffer from HGV overfill/overspill when drivers have overfilled or not closed the filler properly. The lurch to the left, then right on the roundabout causes the dripping/spills. I've had a few near dos whilst riding motorcycles due to this.
Old 27th April 2019, 18:20   #7
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2roverman View Post
New Kumho on the front, part-worn Nanking and Goodyear on the rear. In fact it would have been the loaded Goodyear on the nearside that broke away.
Pushed hard round a roundabout yesterday with no problems so still think it was road condition, but have not yet fully checked underneath due to a sceptic finger and rain. But there's always that slight worry there.
I had a pair of mismatched tyres on the front of my Rover 45 and it was all over the road when on an uneven surface. Pair of matched tyres solved the problem. I wonder if yours on the rear are exacerbating the issue.
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2019, 10:45   #8
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverP480 View Post
I had a pair of mismatched tyres on the front of my Rover 45 and it was all over the road when on an uneven surface. Pair of matched tyres solved the problem. I wonder if yours on the rear are exacerbating the issue.

Agreed that quality matched tyres would be better, but I don't think the tyres on the car were a major factor here, they've been on the car for a good while and I've never previously had a stability problem.
While I still think it was the road conditions I will check fully underneath, tomorrow if it's fine.
Old 28th April 2019, 12:03   #9
smudge.g
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDTi Connie SE

i had a similar experience last year in my Tourer. Thought it might also be tyres but it turned out to be a rapidly decaying rear upper arm (despite passing the MOT a few months before) that resulted in an eventual dramatic inward lean to the wheel. A replacement of the rear subframe and all attached parts has solved further problems
My 75 Tourer CDTi was born Saturday, 21st June 2003 @ 09:50

My 75 was the 18,749th 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
It was the 195th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 2,074
and the 1,789th 75 Tourer in Wedgewood Blue Metallic (code: JEL) to be made out of 1,871 Wedgewood Blue Metallic 75 Tourers
smudge.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2019, 15:49   #10
EdgarDonaldBalls
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi XPower Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge.g View Post
i had a similar experience last year in my Tourer. Thought it might also be tyres but it turned out to be a rapidly decaying rear upper arm (despite passing the MOT a few months before) that resulted in an eventual dramatic inward lean to the wheel. A replacement of the rear subframe and all attached parts has solved further problems

I also had a similar problem due to a very sorry rear arm, the near side had been welded up a couple of times, it turns out. it would usually seem fine on turn in then all of a sudden lose grip, it felt like the rear wheel tucking under a little and skipping across the road bit. I replaced some really nasty Chinese tyres that were on the car when I bought it for some nice bridgestones but that just seemed to make it worse probably due to the extra grip from the tyre causing the load to transfer earlier.

new shocks, springs, top mounts and drop links all round plus new upper and lower rear arms have transformed the car and emptied my pockets but I'm happy.
Born Friday, 9th April 2004 @ 09:54:49
This vehicle was the 14,388th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
This vehicle was the 2,491st ZT CDTi + (135) to be made out of 4,184
This vehicle was the 2,113th ZT in XPower Grey (code: LEF) to be made out of 3,143 XPower Grey ZTs
EdgarDonaldBalls is offline   Reply With Quote