Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th January 2019, 15:48   #21
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

All I can say is I’m glad I had a dash cam fitted when I was involved in an RTC with my Jaguar XF which was subsequently written off ( category B )

I overheard one Police officer at the scene saying “what do you think knock for knock” with the lady officer saying “ no I don’t think so, not with the distance”

It was only when I produced my dash cam footage at the scene the first officer then said “Oh yes deffinately careless driving” and subsequently the young driver was charged at the scene.

The “distance” referred to was the considerable distance the other car travelled after colliding with me, and still on the wrong side of the road.

With the dash cam footage submitted to the other drivers insurance company they admitted full liability within days and subsequently settled.

As for up loading the footage, no I haven’t done this, simply because I’m too busy on other things but on some of the footage I’ve viewed on You Tube I’ve got no sympathy for the drivers concerned as they are really outrageous and there driving needs to be reported.

With the lack of Police involvement with RTC’s dash cams are your only defence.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2019, 16:25   #22
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

After a silly argument about returning a shopping trolley, I just mentioned that I had it all on dash camera. The loud mouth immediately stopped the "argument", got in her car and drove off. Problem avoided.
Old 29th January 2019, 16:30   #23
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

When out cycling I often have a camera and when I have found very stupid driving I have shown it to the police.

One particular vehicle decided it was safe to overtake me where the road narrowed on a bridge, whilst I was within the zig zag markings of a pedestrian crossing. A pedestrian was crossing as I slowed down (they decided to cross of their own accord). Luckily for them they were on the same side of the road as me as the driver shot past at a rate of knots that would have been fatal!

I showed the policeman at a a local station and he looked aghast at the multitude of offences committed.

I thought it prudent just to ask him to show it to the driver and hopefully think twice before acting in such a dangerous manner again. We live in hope.
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2019, 19:06   #24
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

I recently fitted a dashcam to my cars because of an incident that happened to me.

I was driving along minding my own business, 30 mph and heading into a small town when a guy walked into the road directly in front of me, and quite intentionally. He very obviously prepared himself to jump onto my bonnet to be knocked down with minimal injuries. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending which way you look at it, I managed to stop before I hit him. He looked so cheesed off that he didn't get his insurance payout.

To clarify the above, it was unfortunate for him that I stopped before he had the chance to jump on my bonnet and put in a claim. Fortunate, because I was in my Rover, and if he had jumped onto my bonnet he would have received very severe injuries from the good kicking that he would have got for damaging my Rover.

Unfortunately we life in a world where people will do anything for money.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s

Last edited by Mike Trident; 29th January 2019 at 19:11..
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2019, 19:18   #25
jonc3725
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190 + and MKIV Supra

Always been uneasy about dash cams on cars and helmet cams on bikes.

There is the mistakes we all make from time to time. Yep really non of us are perfect and I know that be a surprise to some. These mistakes get reported to the fuz and then it gets out of hand.

Also all those with cams would you report any incidents you caused/mistakes you make or would you wipe the file.

I really don't mind professionals stopping me or getting involved but not sure about the keen amateurs.

Always said I don't have a problem with CCTV as it safeguards You but these cams are not the same.

Living the dream

MK IV VVTI Tiptronic TT Toyota Supra
MG ZT 190+
BornTuesday, 10th July 2001 @ 09:01:10
259th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
252nd ZT 190 + to be made out of 4,023
101st ZT in Solar Red (code: CEU) to be made out of 1,888
jonc3725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2019, 19:56   #26
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

I would never report anyone for a driving fault. I just like to have one after the incident I mentioned above.

I have also heard from a friend that things like this happen quite a lot. Another one he mentioned was buying an old car just to use for an insurance claim.

Stamp on the brakes and get hit from behind, then claim for whiplash etc.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2019, 04:51   #27
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAde View Post
I do get the point about Big Brother. However, on balance, I think these things are a force for good. Once we get to the point (and I think we are getting there now) that people accept that everything we do on the roads is captured on camera, then it should hopefully make people think twice before performing stupidly dangerous acts. As long as we can separate those that have made an honest mistake from those that are blatantly dangerous behind a wheel.
Dash cameras have started to infiltrate the accessory market in Kenya, but they are expensive with the cheapest selling for about £50. I haven’t bought one yet for my 4x4. There is a lot of police corruption and intimidation here at the roadside and I guess that could be captured and in the event of accident, the footage could be useful to determine who was at fault. In Nairobi, CCTV is everywhere and the cameras are there to help in the fight against criminals and terrorists, speeding offences etc.

People can also sometimes collude with the police. A friend was in a collision where the other party was at fault and when the police arrived, the other party paid them off to say she was at fault. Had she had a dash cam recording everything, perhaps the outcome would have gone in her favour.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote