Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 16th June 2014, 12:21   #1
pscan.eu
Regular poster

Peugeot 604/Jag X350

Default Diagnostics Tool Demo Day result and feedback

As requested, here is the results of the demo day as I remember it. It was a bit hectic...

If you were there and can confirm what I say then that would be great. If your memory is different to mine, well I suppose people should hear that too...

AM at Barnet Retail Park:-
Freelander 1 TD4: engine ECU worked in EDC15C4 mode. Other ECUs not working.
Elise S1: working in MEMS1.9 mode. Only ECU on the car.
Elise S2: not working (never expected it to). Lotus changed the MEMS3 too much for my tool.
MGF: worked 100% (engine, airbag, ABS).
MGTF: worked 100% (engine, airbag, ABS).
MGTF LE500: worked 100% (engine, airbag, ABS) but could not reset service indicator.
Freelander 1 petrol worked on MEMS1.9. Didn't try anything else as this was just a random shopper asking for directions.
MG ZR diesel: worked 100% (engine, airbag, ABS). This was a real result for me as the owner had been to multiple garages and no-one could read the codes, but my tool could. He then spammed Facebook to tell everyone which is exactly what I need.

PM at Halfway House:-
Various Rover 75/ZT tried, maybe 5 or 6?
Airbag ECUs 100% success rate. Several airbag warning lights sorted. It can be a bit slow to login though (this will be fixed I promise).
ABS ECUs 100% success rate. None had any faults. Live data also worked.
MEMS3 on 1.8 turbo 100% success rate. This is in Rover mode not EOBD mode. All three of them had P1520 (I think it was) on. 100% still had P1520 after all the other codes cleared. MEMS3 also often seems to need the ignition turned off for a few seconds and then turned on before it will connect. I found the same issue on a Rover 45 (a mate's one not demo day); I think it's an immo thing or something.
100% success rate on diesels in EDC15C2 mode. I have previously tested W reg right through to a facelift 2005 so not surprised.
V6 didn't work. I have an ECU now so watch this space.

200 BRM
Engine ECU worked in MEMS2J mode. Diagnostic plug was pushed into the bracket from the wrong side. Airbag ECU didn't work.

MG ZR petrol.
MEMS3 worked. I think airbag and ABS worked but my memory is not 100% on this. I guess if it didn't I would remember that.

I also demo'ed the Raspberry Pi to Tom and exported the display to my wife's tablet. I'm not sure that he was that impressed. To be honest it's a bit of a hack/geek thing (you have to configure a Pi to do it).

Now for some common questions that I had:-

You're the guy with the T4 thing?

No it's not a T4. This has good points and bad.

Bad: You can't configure anything. If you want to modify your car, replace a blown ECU, or program a new key you will still need a T4 guy. Some of the code definitions aren't as good either (it tells you the code but the descriptive text isn't pucka Rover).

Good: It's cheap. It's simple to use. You cannot damage your car with it as it only reads codes and live data.

Will it work with my ipad / iphone?

Not easily. I looked at Apples development model and I would need an Apple PC or laptop, and ipad or iphone, and an Apple development license. This is a 2 grand investment that just isn't worth it.

I forgot to take a video of it working on a 75. Sorry about that. I have a plan to do one tonight.

Thanks, Philip

oh and please buy one
Old 16th June 2014, 12:59   #2
Rob Bell
Gets stuck in

ZT-T CDTi +

For the inner geek wanting to see how you can read live MEMS data from halfway across a carpark, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=v1Koh3572pw

This in itself isn't particularly useful, but it seeds the idea of being able to "throw" data at another device. As I take my MGs on track pretty frequently, the idea of integrating this into something like the Harry's Laptimer app is really very appealing. I am looking at this as a diagnostic device with potential spin-off benefits

I don't have any conflicts to declare - I am not associated with Philip's company and have no financial interests, but I am interested in a device that can read faults from elderly Rovers and MGs, and have therefore been helping Philip with this by donating my cars to test.

Great to hear that things went so well after you left Friern Barnet Philip - we had great results on the MGs, Land Rovers and Lotus cars tested.

I hadn't realised that the S2 Elise was only working in generic EOBD mode? Hopefully you'll be able to crack that too.

For me, as an owner of two MGFs (MEMS1.9 and soon MEMS2J and or MEMS3), an '03 MG ZTT CDTi and the in-law's '04 MG ZS120, having a reliable diagnostic tool that can read and reset faults (and also service counter on the ZTT) is brilliant. For T4 stuff, I'll go to one of the guys here with a T4. I reckon they're complimentary
Old 16th June 2014, 13:02   #3
Pistonbroke666
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 1.8T, MG GS Exclusive

Just confirming this worked on my MG ZT 1.8T.

FYI, upon doing a little googling, the P1520 error code is redundant. It's legacy BMW code apparently and means nothing.
Old 16th June 2014, 13:06   #4
pscan.eu
Regular poster

Peugeot 604/Jag X350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Bell View Post
I hadn't realised that the S2 Elise was only working in generic EOBD mode? Hopefully you'll be able to crack that too.
yes it worked in EOBD mode but not in Rover mode. Currently my tool has the same usefulness on an Elise S2 as a £20 thing off ebay. If I can crack it I will. I know a guy with the proper Lotus tool but I must have upset him as he's not replying to calls or email
Old 16th June 2014, 14:16   #5
FezzyFox
Loves to post

MG ZT+ 180 Sports Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscan.eu View Post
As requested, here is the results of the demo day as I remember it. It was a bit hectic...

I also demo'ed the Raspberry Pi to Tom and exported the display to my wife's tablet. I'm not sure that he was that impressed. To be honest it's a bit of a hack/geek thing (you have to configure a Pi to do it).

I was most definitely interested Phillip I understand that it's not perfected yet, but i can definitely see huge potential for those with android head units (as they cannot run Torque yet owing to it not being possible to paid a BT OBD adapter) for live readouts & on the fly diagnostics should a fault ever occur whilst driving. Would be very good as a relatively in-expensive, hard wired system. As you rightly said, it could be fitted within the dash and hidden from sight.

Sorry if i didn't come over as very interested. I was still extremely tired from the meet Saturday night. I didn't get home from that until 2am sunday morning

AS for your primary tool, you definitely have a huge opportunity there. as demonstrated, it's possible to access the ABS and SRS Systems, which just isnt possible with other diag tools of a similar cost to yours. (You made a lot of people very happy too, as for a lot of 75 & ZT owners, the airbag light can be the bane of our lives )

Unfortunaly, i wont be buying one because, as you know, i laid out a fair bit for my Sykes Pickavant tool, but will see if i can still invest

Best of luck.
Commission #24666
Old 16th June 2014, 14:43   #6
Woof25
Passed Away

Rover 75 Saloon CDti Se A

P1520 is according to my rover fault codes is Intake Manifold Runner Control Circuit Malfunction, hope that proves helpful to those who had it as a fault
Old 16th June 2014, 14:51   #7
pscan.eu
Regular poster

Peugeot 604/Jag X350

I will tell you how I see this panning out. I would be interested to see what you think.
I already have this diagnostics code working on the Pi.
I already have some web server code working on the Pi.
It is already possible to run a Pi as a WiFi access point.

I think I should write a new front end for my Pi software which, instead of using a normal GUI (X client, buttons, text box, mouse click) it could instead render itself as a website. It would create html on the fly so that instead of a button on an X client it would be an html link on a webpage.

It would work like this on your android head unit.
To access the Internet you would select your phone or 4G router or whatever as the access point.
To diagnose faults you would connect to the "pscan" hotspot which would actually be the Pi.
Then you would go to your web browser and a webpage would appear.
On the webpage you would have options to select the ECU that you want to connect too, and then further pages to read error codes or erase them or whatever.

Does this sound like what someone with a setup like yours would like?
Old 16th June 2014, 14:52   #8
pscan.eu
Regular poster

Peugeot 604/Jag X350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof25 View Post
P1520 is according to my rover fault codes is Intake Manifold Runner Control Circuit Malfunction, hope that proves helpful to those who had it as a fault
Do you mind me asking, where did you get that from?
Old 16th June 2014, 15:11   #9
FezzyFox
Loves to post

MG ZT+ 180 Sports Auto

Quote:
I will tell you how I see this panning out. I would be interested to see what you think.
I already have this diagnostics code working on the Pi.
I already have some web server code working on the Pi.
It is already possible to run a Pi as a WiFi access point.

I think I should write a new front end for my Pi software which, instead of using a normal GUI (X client, buttons, text box, mouse click) it could instead render itself as a website. It would create html on the fly so that instead of a button on an X client it would be an html link on a webpage.

It would work like this on your android head unit.
To access the Internet you would select your phone or 4G router or whatever as the access point.
To diagnose faults you would connect to the "pscan" hotspot which would actually be the Pi.
Then you would go to your web browser and a webpage would appear.
On the webpage you would have options to select the ECU that you want to connect too, and then further pages to read error codes or erase them or whatever.

Does this sound like what someone with a setup like yours would like?

It's something i would definitely like to have on my android H/U. I like geeky things like that

i think it would only appeal to small number of people though.
Commission #24666
Old 16th June 2014, 15:13   #10
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Do you mind me asking, where did you get that from?
Fill your boots http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=198157
Closed Thread