Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 20th February 2013, 20:34   #31
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westonboy View Post
Hi Ron, I am afraid I dont know what sort of Pierberg I have got, it was fitted by Jules 6 months ago, and he set the synergy 2 at the same time. Whatever setting it should be, the fact is my car has been achieving 48mpg and drives very smoothly.
Whatever one it is, just leave things as they are if the car is going well and 48mpg is very respectable.

Ron
Old 20th February 2013, 20:36   #32
Westonboy
Posted a thing or two

Honda Jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverron View Post
Whatever one it is, just leave things as they are if the car is going well and 48mpg is very respectable.

Ron
Many thanks for your advice.
Old 20th February 2013, 20:39   #33
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
What planet are you on!

I have sold thousands of mafam, digimafams, and Synergy 2a for the L series and BMW engined cars and all do exactly what they are designed to do. (I have the feedback to prove it, not that I need it as my satisfied customers can speak for them selves)

if none of these Bosch mafs had developed a weak signal then:-

a) The products would not have worked or just produced smoke from the overfuelling.
b) Its complete nonsense (and ignorance of both the digimafam and Synergy 2a's functioning) to say that "improvement is due to an increase in the airflow signal at idle" WHY? because the signal is not boosted equally over the range - there is little or no boost at idle.

Yes, some mafs to go high and I clearly state this on my website and in this case you do not want to amplify it - obviously. In which case you replace the bosch maf with a pierburgh where a Synergy 2a or Digimafam is fitted.

But what do I know - I've only been selling mafams since 2004, having proved it worked for me on my 45.

You may a T4, but you have a lot to learn and are clearly not conversant with my products. I don't think you are doing your reputation any favours.

Ron
Not Mars fortunately
Ok then Ron, this is my pledge to you, I will learn everything I need to know about your product.
I will then, complete with reverse engineered circuit diagrams, explain the cause and effect of what this product does in relation to the diesel engine management system fitted to our cars.
I'm sorry if you feel I'm being deliberately antagonistic toward you, however without asking an owner if they have one of your products fitted, I can see immediately by seeing the incorrect airflow figures given as greyed out figures on the live data screen.
The Pierburg MAF is a reasonable compromise, but that is exactly what it is a compromise, which underfuels at 3000 RPM

Brian
Old 20th February 2013, 20:51   #34
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Not Mars fortunately
Ok then Ron, this is my pledge to you, I will learn everything I need to know about your product.
I will then, complete with reverse engineered circuit diagrams, explain the cause and effect of what this product does in relation to the diesel engine management system fitted to our cars.
Brian
You will be wasting your time because what matters is the end result and over a million quids worth of Mafams, Digimafam, Synergys and the modules sold by my colleagues at Energy Tuning have been sold since 2005.

99% of owners just want something that works and neither want to hear, nor would understand the technical aspects.

Ron
Old 20th February 2013, 21:18   #35
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Sorry Ron but Brians statement about the Bosch maf failures is correct, almost every Bosch maf that I've seen has failed with too high a signal.

I've seen hundreds of 75 and ZT diesels, I see them on an almost daily basis and sometimes multiples a day, I always check the maf voltage and airflow readings to see if they're in spec.
I don't do this to sell anything to anyone, all I want is for owners to get the best out of their cars, if their maf has failed they're free to get a replacement from anywhere they want.

I've also used a Synergy for years too, and know that using the mafam on a failing Bosch maf with too high a signal just throws the airflow readings even further out at both idle and higher up the rev range no matter what mafam setting.

In no way am I knocking the Synergy in any way, it's provided an effective simple way of boosting the performance on our cars and enabled the use of the cheaper Pierburg maf, but the Pierburg does underfuel at 3000 revs.

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.

Last edited by BigRuss; 20th February 2013 at 21:22..
Old 20th February 2013, 21:27   #36
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
Sorry Ron but Brians statement about the Bosch maf failures is correct, almost every Bosch maf that I've seen has failed with too high a signal.

I've seen hundreds of 75 and ZT diesels, I see them on an almost daily basis, I always check the maf voltage and airflow readings to see if they're in spec.
I don't do this to sell anything to anyone, all I want is for owners to get the best out of their cars, if their maf has failed they're free to get a replacement from anywhere they want.

I've also used a Synergy for years too, and know that using the mafam on a failing Bosch maf with too high a signal just throws the airflow readings even further out at both idle and higher up the rev range no matter what mafam setting.

In no way am I knocking the Synergy in any way, it's provided an effective simple way of boosting the performance on our cars and enabled the use of the cheaper Pierburg maf, but the Pierburg does underfuel at 3000 revs.

Russ
I think your definition of fail is different to mine.

I agree if the signal has become too high then the maf can considered to have failed and yes, boosting it even more will make matters worse.

In my experience and that of my many customers, the maf goes out of spec and underfuells the car due to a drop in signal more often than failing high. Hence the Synergy 2 and mafams work. If there was no such thing as an underfuelling maf, neither the Synergy nor mafam would work as they do and in fact I may have need to design an attenuator instead of an amplifier.
Ron
Old 20th February 2013, 21:40   #37
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

With too the signal on the maf being high this translates to EMS seeing the airflow as being higher and fuels accordingly ie. it overfuels, not underfuels

So with nearly every failed Bosch maf I've seen the car has been overfuelling not underfuelling so using the mafam would just make matters worse.

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.

Last edited by BigRuss; 20th February 2013 at 21:59..
Old 20th February 2013, 21:53   #38
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
You will be wasting your time because what matters is the end result and over a million quids worth of Mafams, Digimafam, Synergys and the modules sold by my colleagues at Energy Tuning have been sold since 2005.

99% of owners just want something that works and neither want to hear, nor would understand the technical aspects.

Ron
Or call me cynical, perhaps this is something you'd prefer they didn't hear
Owners deserve more than mystery, and "smoke and mirrors".
I will as promised do this, and further more I will do it without charge to a single owner.
I have pointed out that MAFAM and Pierburg is a reasonable compromise, certainly when the price of the Bosch MAF was in excess of £250.
What is disingenuous, is to suggest that the Pierburg MAF in conjunction with MAFAM, is a direct drop in replacement for a genuine Bosch MAF, or indeed a failing Bosch MAF will be assisted by amplifying an already higher than normal output signal.
The figures simply don't stack up I'm afraid.
Out of the many hundreds of diesel 75 and ZT I've diagnosed, not one car fitted with either MAFAM, or Synergy in conjunction with ether a replacement Pierburg MAF, or indeed an original failing Bosch MAF has correct airflow readings, not one.
You state over £1000000 worth of your related products have been sold, and indeed it would be reasonable to assume continuous improvement have been made to your products?
If this is the case, they must given the intervening eight years of development be perfect? no?
Just because there are many wrongs, do they they make a right ?

It may be worthy to note, I have no vested interest in selling an owner a Bosch MAF, nor any "electronic correction" for an incorrect specification MAF.

I do however have an analytical thought train, and will apply this in the interests of all Rover 75 and MG ZT owners.

Brian
Old 20th February 2013, 21:54   #39
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
With too the signal on the maf being high this translates to EMS seeing the airflow as being higher and fuels accordingly ie. it overfuels, not underfuels

So with nearly every failed Bosch maf I've seen the car has been overfuelling not underfuelling.

Russ
Correct - I do actually understand how the ecm uses the maf signal!
Its just not my experience even if it is yours. (which doesn't make either of us right)

Logically if all my Synergy and mafam/digimfam customers had 'high' failed mafs and their engines were therefore being overfuelled by the ecm, then:-

a)there'd be no loss of performance (apart from that due to gross over fuelling)
b)the Synergy or mafam/digimafam would exacerbate the problem.
Old 20th February 2013, 22:06   #40
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Correct - I do actually understand how the ecm uses the maf signal!
Its just not my experience even if it is yours. (which doesn't make either of us right)

Logically if all my Synergy and mafam/digimfam customers had 'high' failed mafs and their engines were therefore being overfuelled by the ecm, then:-

a)there'd be no loss of performance (apart from that due to gross over fuelling)
b)the Synergy or mafam/digimafam would exacerbate the problem.
Correct Ron
Brian
Closed Thread